Long range open sights firing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
How abouta function that allows you to "zoom" slowly when holding the aim button. This would be nice with open sights with certain weapons.

Basically it should work something like this:

While holding the aim button you rcontroll your breathing, but at the same time you zoom little (like a 25-30pct) signifying you focusing your eyes on a target in the distance. At the same time a blurry ring moves in from the sides (like the black walls of the scope, but transparant and blurry).

Because you are still looking at a flat screen zooming your eyes like IRL is not possible, this could bring that back. This is mainly to be used with open rifles like the M16 and SG551.

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Sounds nice!

Project IGI has something like that for the MP5, indicating it's higher accuracy (compared to the AK47 for example). It's less than 35%, more like 15%, but still enough to make it the weapon of choice in that game. And the ring idea is cool too, although you're already losing some peripheral vision by simply zooming in.

[L]-Damodred

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
i doubt it, the other weapons can do the same. in I think there was a bug which let you see part of your gun barrel while looking trough the scope. Basically it'll work like the robars scope with the blackout replaced by a transparent field.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
No.
Zooming with sights?
With the current method of zooming?
Hell no.
It will take away the feel of the guns, and from the feel of the game.
I agree that iron sights aren't as effective as they should be, but this is the wrong way to do it.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
how is it wrong yurch? I'm not talking about zooming in as FAR as the robar duh, i'm talking the same method graphics wise not behaviour wise.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
ofcourse not but then again your eyes resolution is much higher then 1024x780 as well, it simulates forcusing on the distance so it would be something like a 5pct zoom max.

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Then why not zoom all the time(which isn't a bad idea, although the FOV restiction is the only problem)? My eyes don't need to wait for a hold-breath feature, I can focus on anything in-view instantly.

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Wider view is basically worthless in comparison to the added resolution - to the good players.
Take a look at all the scope running in 2.85x and the case stands. The psg was the only weapon with enough of a restricted FOV to cause a problem.
I wouldn't mind adding an extra zoom increase standard, but not if it swiched back and forth.
WTF? these boards keep asking me to login after I post, erasing my original post!

Streaks

Crunchings and munchings!
Mar 25, 2001
VA
www.incomeforliving.com
I personally wouldn't like this. I can hit things at medium range just fine with the iron sites on the MP5 and have gotten lucky even with the AK at long ranges.

What I do NOT like is the "breathing" issue. In that even as you sit there, your breaths make the back site float in a small figure eight which is annoying beyond belief. I can shoot all day and my hand or arm will gitter but NOT float like that.

But no, personally I'd not want to give myself an edge with iron sites if I had to play against myself ; ) I've nailed guys with the silenced MP and it's great to hit people so far off you have to aim well above their heads and nobody sees were it came from : ) no zoom/enhancment needed IMO

{LoD}Streaks

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
...just get rid of the 8 motion...

No need for sight misalignment either, if i have the gun ready in my hand ready to shoot, i would not let the sights wabble like that... The only thing "hold breath" should do is to reduce the up/down motion of breathing, probably increasing accuracy (yeah i know, we are already dead on accurate, i just assume some innacuracy for not using the feature could be added).

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
I reckon a small zoom could be implemented when using all guns (except maybe pistols), simulating the firer focussing on targets in the distance and caring less about his immediate surroundings. Obviously different rifles would have different zooms ('zoom' sounds like the wrong word, maybe focus would be better) making assault rifles more accurate at longer ranges than the MP5, which is far too effective at long range as it is. Tho methinks the engine wouldn't be able to do the blurring effect you describe.