UT Texture Listing in Hardcopy Format

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
I decided that I can't stand using the built-in UED2 texture browser to find that perfect texture, so I spent waaay too much time extracting all the "important" textures into a color-printer-friendly-format.

I printed out all of the 64 major texture files. I didn't bother with the built-in .U textures, nor do I care about 99% of the skin/mesh textures, since neither of these two types of textures typically get used in map making. I now have a nice little booklet with all the pretty textures, making finding that perfect texture much easier (I still like hardcopy)! :)

TextureListing.jpg

Anyways, I've saved all the nice pretty printer-ready texture files in PaintShopPro .PSP files (non-lossy, big compression format). There are 64 files totaling about 65MB (that's MEGAbytes). I'd love to make this available to anyone that wants them, but I have a dilema --- I don't have web site capacity nor download bandwidth make these available.

So, if anyone can HOST these files for anyone who wants them, I can send them ONCE to someone who can support them on their site. I've attached a single file for Coret_FX, so you can see what these files look like.

I printed these files out on an Epson Stylus COLOR 1520 printer, in landscape orientation at 155dpi (which fills the page as much as possible). For almost any other printer, you may need to tweak the image sizes a bit. Oh, and I used an entire color ink cartridge to print all this out.

BB.

Last edited:

Mclarenlover

Apr 16, 2000
The Great 'ole state of NC
Visit site
hmmm... I downloaded coret_fx, but theres one problem, I can't look at it because I don't have PaintShopPro. So it might be better if you could change those files into .jpg format so everyone could use them if it's possible, if not, then i just won't worry about it, but it's a cool Idea.

I do have a server with unlimited space, well actually, it's not mine, but my ex-girlfriends hehehe... but we can use it for just about whatever cause she doesn't care, so I may be able to hook u up as long as I can figure out how to get back to the servers control panel... and I'm not guaranteeing that it's going to be as fast as file-planet...

Last edited:

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
I've already done something like that for my use but it is B&W, could have made it color but really didn't need to. How did you do it? I used the UCC Commandlet to extract all files to bmp and then I just did an automated contact sheet in Photoshop.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Originally posted by Slick_Willy
How did you do it? I used the UCC Commandlet to extract all files to bmp and then I just did an automated contact sheet in Photoshop.
I tried almost all the external texture viewers, but most of them choke on either the animated textures or the "special" textures. So, I just made the internal UED2 texture viewer full screen (1600x1200), and then did auto-screen shots over to PaintshopPro. Then I just cleaned up the PSP images (made the background pure white, and made the text pure black, etc).

By using the UED2 texture viewer, I was able to snapshots of ALL textures, even a single frame of an animated texture (I would cycle animated textures until I got a "nice" sample frame).

I'm using the .PSP file format instead of .JPG because a .JPG file uses LOSSY COMPRESSION, therefore, the image quality will be comprimised. When I print out the the texture images, I want the screenshot image quality to be fully maintained.

Originally posted by Mclarenlover
yo bitbasher, I finally got back into my server, so if ya want me to, I can set an account up for you so that you can send them or delete them as you wish to our server...
Mondo coolness! :cool:

Oh, attached is a redo of Coret_FX, but in .JPG format. I used a .JPG compression level of 1 (the lowest), so the lossyness (is that a word?) should be pretty minimal.

BB.

Last edited:

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Oh yeah, the image has LOTS of pixels. The file should be saved with an attribute of "155 Pixels/inch". If you do the math on the width/height of the image in pixels (in landscape orientation), you should get an image that prints at 8.22" x 10.19".

Of course, this all depends on the software you're using. I wouldn't want to try to print that sucker out from a web browser, or the junk image program that comes with Windows.

I use PaintShop Pro. I load up the big image, do a Page Setup, set the orientation, margins, and scaling, then print it out. My printer will do up to 720dpi native and 1440dpi extended. Each printer is different, but for even a low-end printer running at say 300dpi, if you printed out the texture file directly using 300dpi, the resulting image on paper would only be 4.25" x 5.27".

Bottom line: you need some good image handling software to be able to "scale" the image to your printer's page size, etc.

BB.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Originally posted by Nebulous Person
I'm just guessing,...but, you must be secretly contemplating creating your own game. And, I don't mean the usual juvenile, action-packed Frag Fest. I mean...something, truly legendary,...something that will alter our fundamental worldview. Something that will provide you with an income comparable to the GNP of France.
:cool:

You ARE the weakest link... Goodbye! :shock:

Just kidding! ;) Sorry to burst your bubble, but nope, I'm not planning an earth-shattering games. Perhaps total world domination, but no games.

BB.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Originally posted by Squirrel9
Hey BitBasher
You think I could get those files from ya so i can post them on my FTP for other people to download.
Let me know if you can hook me up with them.
Squirrel

I hope to get all the files "cleaned up" in the next few days. As soon as they're ready for prime-time, I'll let you know.

BB.

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
really cool idea, and ill download it as soon as it get ploaded somewhere..
But where can i get my hands on one of those binder thingys , that punches the rectangular holes in ur pages, so that i can bind it like urs bit??

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Originally posted by limpbizkit
But where can i get my hands on one of those binder thingys , that punches the rectangular holes in ur pages, so that i can bind it like urs bit??

That's X-Vorlon technology. I could provide you with a jump-gate so you could enter hyper-space to obtain your very own rectangular-hole-punching-subsystem, but then the Vorlon high-command will come looking for me. ;)

The REAL answer is much less exciting... I borrowed the gizmo from work. :rolleyes:

The holepunch machine that subtracts those nifty rectangular brushes ... er uh... holes is very expensive, about $200 I'm told. But, most printing shops have them, and some of the Zippy-type printing places can punch those holes for you for about a buck.

BB.

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
cool, i was thinking about going through an interstallar jump-gate, but i was washing my hair.
BTW, HAVE U GOT THESE UPLOADED YET??
COS I WANT THEM!!

Squirrel9

Jan 30, 2001
Windsor Ontario
Visit site
textures

Bizkit as soon as Bitbasher gets them to me they will be available to all. A good friend of mine is getting me the name of a site that gives 100 Megs of web space so I will make a cheap web page and put the texture files on the page for all to download along with a huge thanks to Bitbasher from everyone.

Squirrel

Squirrel9

Jan 30, 2001
Windsor Ontario
Visit site
Limpbizkit
I am waiting for bitbasher to finnish compiling the files and when he is done he is gonna let me know and i will get them from him and get them on the web for everyone to grab.

Squirrel:cool: