weapon fire lag??......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

XmichaelX

Jan 20, 2000
Visit site
whenever my an my bud do a direct modem to modem setup for UT the person hosting the server is fine but the other player has crazy weapons lag.

obviously the lag is to do with the ping but the lag in between firing is very noticable - even when using the rocket - you can fire and see the rocket from the side - v wierd!

anyone else having this problem?

IM NOT TALKING ABOUT LAG - cos the lag is fine - its the rate of fire!

thanx!

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Hit Netstat (F6) to see what you're real ping/packet loss is.

Chances are it's going to be one or the other. Don't pay any attention to what the ping says under F1 or at end of game.

Weapon lag is DIRECTLY affected by latency and packet loss.

bullet2.gif

You know your worth when your enemies praise your architecture of aggression.
nguid:167703

XmichaelX

Jan 20, 2000
Visit site
cool - i didnt know you could do such things!

right - if there are lost packets - how do i solve this or attempt to solve it?

it seems to me as if epic dont really give 2 ****s about doing a decent FAQ that answers peoples problems!

the proof of this is the amount of queries posted here that are of the same origin i.e. **** network performance or incomatibility errors!

XmichaelX

Jan 20, 2000
Visit site
oops - guess my use of the crap word didnt go down too well! wot i was gonna say was - there are all too many similar posts here that are not adequetly solved - this is the fault of epic!

end rant!

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
UT has no effect on PL directly.

It has everything to do with TCP/IP. That means that one machine sent a packet that never arrived (or you were sent a packet that never arrived - because UT does monitor (somehow) TO and FROM packetloss)

Perhaps in trying to monitor server to client PL, it's causing twice as much traffic, therefore slowing down the network throughput?

I believe Quake3 uses UDP packets, which never verify they were delivered, they just keep going out (like a flood).

TCP/IP verifies each packet was recieved. If it is not recieved it sends again. I assume that UT's netcode is setup so that it stops trying to get a specific packet over and over once it's considered lost.

bullet2.gif

You know your worth when your enemies praise your architecture of aggression.
nguid:167703 & 453406