M4 A1 question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KpViper

SniperBoy
Mar 5, 2001
users.pandora.be
I don't think its a sound suppressor, maybe a barrel extender or some sort, he but I'm no weapons expert !!!, there is a flashlight to ;)

Liquid Night

Argumentative type.
May 18, 2000
Dublin
Deadly, not silent. I would imagine the the team will not bother including subsonic ammo in 5.56mm. (Not a very effective load, if it even exists.)
The purpose of the suppressor is to eliminate the noise from the expanding gases resulting from the combustion of the powder charge.
The sonic boom from the bullet will remain.
It is much harder to determine which direction the shot was fired from however.
Also, the suppressor will eliminate muzzle flash (I think most do anyway).

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Exactly, Liquid. Hopefully the INF team will be able to pull off the sonic "crack" noise, so that they can implement supersonic suppressed rounds realistically (and take out UT's limitation on sound range, to make them useful).

Also, the (first?) M4 in INF will be the M4A2, which is essentially an M4A1, but with a non-removable (and more stable) carry handle rear sight.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but I have personally witnessed a demonstration of sub sonic versus supersonic ammo in a suppressed weapon.

Any object the bullet passes by, even trees, grass, and dirt, will reflect the noise greater than it comes from the gun. In fact, if you stand to the left of and slightly behind a shooter with a suppressor and supersonic ammo, the ear opposite the gun will register the louder noise. Yes, subsonic ammo is distinctly quieter, but there is a wierd advantage to supersonic ammo: the noise of the bullet flying (and impacting!) will mask the sound of the gun's action, hiding the location of the shooter.

Plus, think about it: if someone was hidden well and fired upon you and two other guys without a suppressor, do you really think that you could return fire in the proper direction before you were shot too? (Much less actually hit the guy.) So a suppressor doesn't change the fact you were caught off guard and ambushed.

suchey

Dec 31, 2000
Ive been waiting on the M4 for a while...its probably the only thing that will make me remove the M16 from my load out :)

Eagle-Six-Zero

Dec 28, 2000
I agree with the colonel on this one

(By the way Im not a newbie I just have been out of the loop for awhile)

I think a supressor is useless for a few reasons.

1. Snipers dont need a supressor on their rifles because they usually are aiming for a single target, the leadero f the battlefield. They shoot and Scoot so to speak.

2. Regular infantrymen dont need suppressors. They have the backing of a larger force to protect them.

3. Special forces may find use for a Silenced Sidearm or even an MP5-SD but most Seals carry larger weapons, M-60 ,Sqaud Automatic Weapon, M16, M-14, and even M82 Barrets, all without silencers.

I think you get the idea. I wont be against a suppresor for the M4, I just wont ever use it and it would be a waste of time for the developement team.

But thats just me

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Eagle-Six: Suppressors also negate muzzle flash which allows more rounds to be put downrange without fear of detection.

'Snipers' are not just people who sit in the bush wearing ghillies, they're anyone skilled at sharpshooting the enemy from a concealed position.

The Russians use the Druganov SVD not just as a dedicated sniper system but also as a squad level support weapon to boost the frontage of infantry squads.

As such, the weapons used by a sniper cannot be immediately defined. I do believe US Marine snipers still have a segment in their training dealing with the use of suppressors.