Texture Alignment / Wall Panning / Grrr!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
Can anyone shed some light on this...

I created a test room, but subtracting a series of four cubes, one after the next, such that each cube was touching the previous one. In the end, I made a large room that was effectively formed (totally inefficiently) by making four smaller roomlettes. I did this to demonstrate this problem.

For the pictures below, the textures I've chosen are utterly wrong for walls, floors, and ceilings, but they are simple 128x128 textures that I can test against. Each of the four roomlettes measure 64 wide by 128 deep, therefore, on the width axis, textures will repeat.

So I've created this, highlighted the subtracted brushes, and selected raw textures (no alignment yet)...

TextureAlign1.jpg

As you can see, everything along the X (width) axis repeats at the 64 unit breaks between each brush. This is expected.

Now, if I select the floors and ceilings and do an ALIGN, I get exactly what I want - that is, the textures have figured out how to "match up". But, when I do this to the walls, it doesn't work - that is, the textures continue to repeat at the 64 unit boundary (they restart). It doesn't matter if I do a Wall Panning, or Merge Polygons / Rebuild - no matter what I try, I can't get them damn co-planar walls to align the textures correctly in the same way the floor works.

What I WANT it to look like is this:

TextureAlign2.jpg

This shows the floor with the correct texture alignment (done magically by UED2), but I have to MANUALLY pan each wall segment to get the textures to align correctly. This sucks!

This is a simple room, but when I've got a water well or a curved archway with 16, 24, or 32 segments, then manual texture alignment becomes tedious (and BORING). There's gotta be a better way! Is there?

BB.

Last edited:

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
a) You can't merge polys on different brushes.

b) Your post sounds as though you only did Wall Panning. When I do both Wall Panning and Wall Direction, it works. I'm not writing this from home, so I can't test your problem right now.

Of course, when you have curved brushes, you still have to align manually. But if you do it right, you at least don't have to scale.

BitBasher

Quantum Singularity
Mar 24, 2001
The Void
www.user.dccnet.com
a) Oh, er uh, DING. I think this explains a lot about merging polygons.

I suspect that I've always expected it to merge co-planar polygons on MULTIPLE brushes. I assume that if it only works on a single brush, then typically, the merge poly function is REALLY useful on COMPLEX brushes. In other words, merging polygons on a cube won't do anything cause all the polys are as merged as they can get. But if I intersected the builder brush onto a series of added brushed, the resulting stuff built from this could be merged. (At least I think that's the way it is).

b) Ok I did try both wall panning and wall alignment. But again, maybe this doesn't work because I'm trying to do this on four separate brushes. I'm hoping that if I do an intersect around something like this room example, then again, resulting merges and wall alignment may work.

But again, aligning wall textures for wells, curved walls, etc is what I *really* want the editor to do.

BB.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
The intersected brush will have the same polys though...

"Mergeable" polys are:
-Coplanar.
-In the same brush.
-Having the same ALIGNED textures.

Sometimes the Align to Wall doesn't work...try Wall Pan or do a manual pan. In this case it's easy because you can do a numeric panning on the Alignment tab of surface properties because you know the width of the brushes.

Anyways, Align to Floor always works. If you have brushes created in the 2d editor...rotate them to their side and align them to Floor. Then merge polys and you can do anything with their sides...

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
So merging polys is only to prevent bsp holes when you have an intersected brush with coplanar surfaces?
Damn, I just realized how much lingo was in that sentence. If someone told me three months ago that I would write someting like that today. . . . . . . :rolleyes: