3D Sound Pos. of your own footsteps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gpk

bah!
Aug 30, 2000
I have a problem with the way the sound of your own is positioned in 3d. Seems like they are coming from all around u. The sound seems to pan left/right and this causes confusion to those of us who use 3d sound.
Gets especially confusing when u move ONE step then jump around to see where it came from :)

I think 3d sound modeling uses different algorithms for near head 3d sounds, and not all the APIs are equal when it comes these near head sounds.
Maybe it would be better to have a MONO sound for your footsteps so as not to get confused.

gpk

yeah, the positioning is really weird. i take a step and it sounds like someone 10 feet to my 2 o'clock position. take another one and there's someone at 10 o'clock. i think they should be centered and quieter. as it is, it's very difficult to tell the difference between your steps and the enemy's when irl you know damn well which sounds you made.