help!! weird bug!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vorr'Akkagi

Apr 2, 2001
silicon valley
www.geocities.com
hey folks,

im at my wits end with this one..

1) ive tried on both versions 1 and 2 of the editor and when i start a new level, i create a simple hollowed cube (have tried sizes up to 1024x to make sure i had plenty of room), click 'add light' and it shows in the 3d window. but as soon as i build the level, the lighting effects dissappear and all goes black.

2) no matter where i try to place it, when i try to add a player start, i get the message "actor does not fit there".

if i load an existing level, from the game for example, all is fine, it builds correctly, i can add lights and player starts and other actors, but never can i get this to work with a new level.

i am wondering if it is something with my system or if something isnt initializing correctly or just what????

im running the editor from UT, but have tried every patch that seemed applicable and ive also installed VBRUN50.

anyone have any ideas???

system:
P3 800
196 MB RAM
nvidia TNT2 pro
voodoo 2 (gives better lighting in some games)
over 200 MB free disk space
WIN 98 (SE i believe)

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
The thing to remember about the unreal editor is that it is based on subtractive geometry. Follow these directions, and you'll see what I mean.
-Open a new map
-Set your red brush as a cube, something like 512x
-Do NOT select hollow=true, leave it false.
-Now SUBTRACT the brush.

You will find that you carved out a hole in the dimensions you specified. You did not add any walls. The cube is already 'hollow'.

MeTHicAL

Mar 5, 2001
alberta
members.nbci.com
It sounds like you might be making the switch from Worldcraft to UnrealEd. (Good choice!) A typical roadblock people run into when they are first trying UED is to think of the environment as an empty space. This program works a little differently. It considers the "space" a solid mass which you then subtract from to make a room. So, forget about hollow cubes and instead try subtracting a huge cube by right-clicking on the cube icon and specifying your dimensions. Make a big open space by selecting some really large XYZ dimensions, then click "subtract".

You probably know that in Worldcraft, when you are making an "outdoors" environment, you still have to seal off the gaps to the "negativeland" - the netherworld that gives you error messages (BSP holes) because the computer finds a glitch and doesn't know what to display. This is the same in UnrealEd, but they have a solution and it is to give you a solid chunk of clay and have you subtract spaces from it when you create your levels.

There are a few things about the red cube brush that you should know about. It is not a solid brush but rather a brush "maker". When you use it, it's like using an ice cream scoop or something. It specifies where the cube or sphere or whatever will BE when you click the add or subtract buttons. Also, you should hold down the "ctrl" key when you want to move, scale or rotate the red brush or any other brush. The red brush can be a cube, cone, sheet, sphere, or anything you select in the toolbar.

Additive brushes appear blue in the viewport, subtractive brushes are yellow. You can put an additive cube in your scene and then hollow it out by scaling the red brush down a little and clicking "subtract". Then you can make little doors and windows and stuff by moving and scaling the red brush around and hitting "subtract" on your additive cube.

In your huge open space you should have room to add some new buildings, so try that and add some lights to the scene. Now when you rebuild, the lights should stay on.

Remember, every blue or yellow brush you create can be moved, rotated and scaled on its own after you create it. You don't need to use the red brush every time.

Your problem with the player start should go away now. Click the "Play Map" button and see what you've got.

If you're having trouble figuring out what the button names are, Wolf has a guide that will tell you. It's here:

http://unreal.gamedesign.net/tutorials/basic/ToolBar.html

Try the Wolf's tutorials. They make everything a snap and they're really not that hard to get through.

http://unreal.gamedesign.net/

Also if you get stuck, try right-clicking on stuff to get more menu options.

Last edited: