Walking/Running Speed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I think there should be two walking speeds and two running speeds.

One walking speed is for normal walking, that is, you make the normal sound of footsteps and the speed is the same as the current walking speed. Another walking speed is for sneaking, where you make no sound but moves slower.

And one running speed is jogging speed. and the other one is for making a dash, therefore using more stamina.

What do you guys think of this??

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Well, it might be useful to have sneak/walk/jogging/dash, but then you would have to assign one button for each of them, which would end up making INF some kind of 'old flight sim', where you spend more time searching buttons than actually using tactics.

Snakeye :D

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Running

Since I think changing the running speed would ruin the game as many others have said why not this.

When you spawn you only have 50% stamina. That way if you want 100% stamina you'll have to rest for a bit and you can't just rush from the spawn point.

This would encourage teamplay especially in Flagstaff, Installation etc, since it's not as easy for everybody to run in 6 different directions at spawn.

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Less stamina!

Good idea, but I'd say 20%. Rushing is so annoying. No real INF team would go into an area like that - no, not even if they had trained for that particular field over and over again. You can't 'know' that the enemy is going to be exactly at their spawn point, and I think the fact that the maps are limited in that way (as they have to be) really promotes spawn-rushing.

Great idea. More team tactics, less rushing!

[L]-Damodred

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
:(

While it may not be realistic for special forces teams to rush into battle the fact is we know the maps and we know where the enemy is and we know how to get there. Reducing running capacity at the beginning won't change anything but the amount of time before you meet the other team. You'll still meet them at the same point and you'll still do the same thing when you get there, the only difference would be an extremely annoying delay before it all happens.

If you want realism you can't force tactics onto players. In real life there are no rules that say you CAN'T rush the enemy. I'd say they should actually increase your stamina by quite a large amount. Realistically the characters should be able to run for at least several minutes before running out of stamina.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
I'm not against several walking/running speed, but how to use it without adding more keys ?
Because my mother gave me only 10 fingers ;)

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I can definitely use a few more extra keys as of right now. And I'm only using the right side of the keyboard(based around the number pad), too!!

How come you guys are using so many keys already??
Maybe I ought to restart the thread on "how do you configure the keys??"

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
SoSilencer...

I actually don't think so. You're implying that everyone would wait until their stamina recharged all the way, and then simultaneously run towards those choke points that everyone knows and loves (?). While some will do that, some will 'walk' towards them slowly, not regenerating their stamina, so they will have to deal with the fact that they won't be able to run away when running into trouble. The balance created by those players waiting to rush when recharged and those that will rush 'slowly but cautiously' (and other tactics forced by low stamina) will create, in my opinion, a more diversified player distribution on a map.

[L]-Damodred

KalFalnal

Novice
Mar 28, 2001
nightstalkers.s5.com
SoSilencer pretty much sums it up. People will rush no matter how slow they have to go to do it.

My solution; If you know they're coming get in position and frag/snipe/blast them.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
yup

That's it. You can't always expect the opponents to walk carefully in orderly manner just because you do. What's really needed is the different strategies for different opponents/situations.
Since rushing is a valid tactics by all means, one has to develop a counter-strategy for the rushers. That's what I think.:)

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Mines were implemented, they were taken out.

The best way to stop rushers is to make the walking/running speeds realistic. As I have shown before, I tested both: the walking speed in Inf is about 2.5x faster than real life, and the running speed is about equal to that of the fastest runner on earth when the stamina meter is full.

.Nova.

Hate
Feb 25, 2001
Denmark
www.planetunreal.com
If RogueLeader is right then the walking/running should definitly be tweaked. As to the sneaking option, it would be very cool to have a sneak button, but I think this should go under crouching. Crouching is already a way of sneaking, so instead of adding another button, make current crouch button a crouch/sneak button...

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Agree with u DredDamo

A reduced stamina at spawn would be realistic as well. It's not like the players teleported in. Probably got there by chopper or had to do some cross country hiking or something.

DredDamo, you said: "...some will 'walk' towards them slowly, not regenerating their stamina..."

I thought u regenerated stamina when you walked, although more slowly than if you're stationary, correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, as Sosilencer says, it is a problem(?) that everybody knows where the spawnpoints are and makes gameplay very unrealistic and predictable. This will be helped some when they remove guns between rounds and close doors in 2.86 as they said on INF radio but still, the game needs some way of introducing "randomness", to take it to the next level.

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Ueps.

Yeah, I meant regenerating slower than not moving.

You will not be able to gain it sufficiently to rush any time soon if you walk...I hope anyway, heh.

Nice tagline by the way: "Average". LOL.

Damodred

Dario

Nov 15, 2000
Disagree with lowering walking/running speeds

Sorry, Rogue Leader, I don't agree with you. IMO, walking and running speeds should NOT be lowered.

This subject was debated in length in a previous thread which has not made the transition to this new message board. I read many viewpoints for and against lowering running speeds. I wish that thread was still available because it was interesting and informative on this subject.

IMO the speeds are right on for the game. Lowering them any further would only serve to make the game a frustrating experience for a majority of players.

I feel time would be better spent finding ways to incorporate into the maps and gameplay things like better ways to use team tactics and communicate with your team mates, mines and booby traps, abilty to add fortifications like sandbags or even just a shovel to 'dig in". Adding a portable squad based weapons like m-60's or m-249's so that machine gun nests can be setup here and moved there as the tide of battle moves.

Last edited:

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Dario, what you are proposing is changing the gamepaly to fit the player. You need to be thinking about changing the player to fit the gameplay. This is a realism mod, and as such it should not be made blatently unrealistic because some Quake players want to play Inf. The current running speeds turn this game into a rushers fragfest. People who think that is more fun than a strategic realism mod shouldn't be here.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Originally posted by RogueLeader
Dario, what you are proposing is changing the gamepaly to fit the player. You need to be thinking about changing the player to fit the gameplay. This is a realism mod, and as such it should not be made blatently unrealistic because some Quake players want to play Inf. The current running speeds turn this game into a rushers fragfest. People who think that is more fun than a strategic realism mod shouldn't be here.

Hear hear!