What's up with this general protection fault???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

keet

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
I have been playing UT since it's release date and never had trouble, but now I get this general protection fault with a message that varies but is always something like:
blah,blah, blah TICK something or another, blah, blah, blah MAIN LOOP.

Sometimes UT crashes and I get booted to windows, other times the game locks hard and I have to rebbot.
Sometimes it'll happen right away, other times I won't see it for quite awhile.

I have tried some suggested fixes; I disabled the hardware sound and end tasked all but systray and explorer.

But like I said, I never had this problem untill a few days ago so I believe this is caused by one of the following:

1) the 405 patch because I just installed it.
2) mods, namely Infiltration which I just got
3) combination of new skins and/or voicepacks

All three of the above I added this weekend and shortly thereafter the trouble started.
I hate like hell to get rid of them because the infiltration is great and I believe you need 405 to play it. The skins and voices are numerous and humorous to sift through.

So basically, I was just wandering if anyone has the same problem or fix ideas.
I wish We All could get together and solve this. If we only knew for sure. I can't ask the makers of UT to fix it because I don't know if it's the patch or just added user created stuff.

So maybe all with this problem could post their problem, skins, voices used, and possible fixes.

Thanks to all.

Frank Schlatterer

Jan 31, 2000
Visit site
I hope you are right about your additions to unreal being your problem....try removing those components first, however general protection faults are a result of a memory error (RAM). If a program tries to address memory outside of the range that windows has alloted to it this error will occur. It means one of two things in most cases; your program is corrupted, or your RAM is failing.....lets hope it's UT!

good luck,
Frank Schlatterer