Playing unreal on a LAN

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cat Food

Dec 12, 1999
I have been able to play every other game over a 3 computer lan but for some reason when I start an unreal game the server never shows up. I think it has something to do with TCP/IP but I can't quite figure out how to configure that.

Guysmily

Nov 30, 1999
Chicago, Il, USA
Visit site
Make sure every ip number on the ethernet cards are 1 digit away from each other. For example I use 10.0.0.6 and 10.0.0.7 on my lan. Set this by going to the network section of the control pannel, and click on tcp/ip for your ethernet card. Then click properties. When you are all set with that, go to the command prompt and ping each other (for example: c:\>ping 10.0.0.1 ). Make sure that you get a response, if not something with your network is wrong. Also if your trying to play the original unreal get the 225 patch. It's still possible to play a lan game without it, but I have never been successfull at setting up a game without that patch. If your playing UT then version 400 should be fine.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Your IP's dont actually have to be 1 away from each other. But do keep the first three octet's the same ie, 172.16.0.x - as long as x is a number between (and inclusive) 0 and 255, and you dont use the same number twice, you'll be fine.

bullet2.gif

Yeah, they come to snuff the Rooster...
nguid:167703

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 01-31-2000).]

Tuttle

Jan 16, 2000
If any of the machines are ever connected to the internet, make sure those first 3 octets are standard private IPs. The typical subnets to use are 10.0.0.*, 172.16.0.* and 192.168.0.*. Also, the last digit in the IP shouldn't be 0 or 255, but strictly between them.