Question about the Intro Speech

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Morph1ne.MX

Privately Owned Geek
Apr 23, 2000
Mexico City, MEXICO
I have been trying to transcript the intro speech but i dont understand what the woman says here:

In 2191 in an attempt to control violence among deep-space miners, the New Earth Government legalized <bla blah>.

I was able to write the rest. So if you can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
Think you got the wrong century there, although I haven't heard the intro in probably 6 months. If memory serves it's 2291.

I think the line is "no holds-barred fighting". It's a phrase which probably originated to describe some type of Pancration or wrestling wherein you could do anything you wanted to disable your opponent--no 'holds' were barred (prohibited) in this type of fighting.

The connotation is that there are no rules and that the fighting is very brutal and merciless.

Morph1ne.MX

Privately Owned Geek
Apr 23, 2000
Mexico City, MEXICO
thanks a lot =)

the efficiency of this forum always amaze me.

and yeap.. it's 2291
=) thanks in that one too.

I also have a doubt here, so if anyone can please transcript:

Now it’s 2341. 50 years have past since the founding of Death match.

<what?> of the tournament number in the hundred of millions. You have been selected to fight in the Professional League by the Liandri <what?>.

Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best. To crush your enemies. To win the Tournament.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
yah

profits.. defenitily profits... april fools blows sometimes :)

(or i am wrong? that wrong? can i be? me? the neonite? is it possible? .... naaaaaaah)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
ehm

... in the professional league by the liandri rulesboard?

that's what i understand :) i could be wrong, don't think so, correct me if i'm wrong, i'll stand corrected..

blah :B

:)

Insecta

Insectacidal
Jun 9, 2000
Switzerland
Come to think of it, "No-Holds Barred Fighting" makes no sense... It's what they say though!

I think it's 'liandri rulesboard, or maybe just liandri board' decide on sylables.

What I never fully understood is the line that goes something like this.

"A (something) of the whatever fighters in all known universe."

What is something... Kobal? What does that mean?

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
yep i'm sure it's liandri's rulesboard :)

And it's a cabal of bla bla bla

cabal is a fearsome fight i guess? :) an onslaught?

your strength and brutality are known blabla
to win .. the tournament.. press escape to blabla

i do like the ut intro. :)

Shame you can't walk around in that 'movie' level, i've tried it once, nothing but darkness. i understand why mind you, but i'm always willing to try out things just too see if i'm right or wrong.

Insecta

Insectacidal
Jun 9, 2000
Switzerland
Yeah... I love the bit where the music gets all high pitched. Sends shivers down my spine, it does.

Thing that sucks, is that 'Press ESC To Begin' stays there when you load new levels. So, you get some newbies (ahem...) that press ESC as they load the level, with unintended results.

Tarantella

Dances with spiders.
Apr 1, 2001
Visit site
A cabal is a brotherhood or group with a touch of the clandestine about it.

To be honest I always thought the intro was a bit tame compared with the likes of Q2 and Mechwarrior and its use for checking the abilities of peoples setups is a bit misleading.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I remember the name cabal from that movie "nightbreed", makes sense now :)

ok, indeed the q2 intro is great. I still like watching it. And i'm no half life fan (only of the sp game, i hate hl dm) but the intro was great wasn't it?

I like the elite force intro :) and those first borg levels (easy levels come to think of it right? Later mission in that borg cube is more challenging :) in a way).

AND afcourse the unreal intro won't leave the top 5. I love the music during that flyby sequence.

_Zd_3s_

Regristered User
This was the version I found here on PlanetUnreal. It's somewhere in the "Story" part of the GameInfo section.

"In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-bared fighting.

Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions.

The fight's popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise.

The professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament.

Now it is 2341, 50 years have passed since founding of DeathMatch. Profits from the Tournament number in the hundreds of billions.

You have been selected to fight in the professional league by the Liandri Rules Board. Your strength and brutality are legendary.

The time has come to prove you are the best; to crush your enemies; to win the Tournament."