(HELP!) UT crashes with this error :

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
This was the title of the post...

"(HELP!) UT crashes with this error "

You could be right because I keep forgetting about the fact that this forum supports both, however he references UT.

bullet2.gif

S*ck my Muzzle

Finsternis

gloomier than an autumn night
Dec 24, 1999
Visit site
Ok,
this is the only error message i ever get,
but i get it often.
It is a long message so this is just the first line:

Assertion failed :ActorClass
[File:e:\unreal220\engine\src\Unchan.cpp]
[Line 714]

It's occuring randomly. It's not map or server bound.Sometimes i play for hours and nothing happens, and sometimes i have 2 crashes in a few minutes.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks

My system :
Cel 500 / 128 MB Ram
Sblive Platinum
Asus V3800 Ultra (TNT2)
Creative DVD encore 3

*Liquid*

Jan 11, 2000
Virginia
Well, you're not the only one. I'm getting it alot too. It seems to happen when there are alot of LPBs on the board. I also noticed that right about the time I started to see this error, my pings had started becoming unstable. I've posted on this topic before, to no avail. How long have you been getting the error message? Are you using the latest patch?<<<<This may be the reason>>>>

Finsternis

Dec 24, 1999
Visit site
I have this problem since i 1st installed the game. I run the 405 version.

But it occured with any previous versions, too. So i think it maybe hardware connected.

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
Hey guys there have been several posts on this. If you do a search on "assertion errors" you will find quite a few.

I was at first getting those errors when I tried to launch the game, then I made some changes, which I'll get into, and I could get into the game, but would get dumped at some point in the game with the error.

1. to stop the error when launching the game I copied all of the files from the cd to my hard drive and then ran the install from my hard drive. That worked. I was noe able to launch the game. This was covered by epic on Dec 20th, and I will list there info in quotes at the end of this post.

2. After that though, was when I started getting the errors while playing the game. To stop that I copied the map files from the cd to my UT\maps folder where the game is installed on my harddrive. This stopped the errors while in the game, and it seems like I'm all set.

3. I also ran the no-cd patch which can be found at http://www.gamecopyworld.com/. I have a liscensed copy of the game.

To make a long story longer... Ocassionally they still pop up. I've even tried tweaking my cache to stop it. At 4 meg they still happened, at 64 meg they still happened and at 16 meg they disapeared again...

Basically according to Epic there is an issue with the actual copying of files during the install. By copying the files local I have been able to pretty much suppress the error, but it always seems to be in the background waiting to STRIKE... NOT UNLIKE MYSELF...

Better watch your back /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

S*ck my Muzzle

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to post Epic's spew on this...

We are seeing reports of several different problems that appear to be due to problems reading files of the game CD.
For example:

Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: InPos>=0

There are also other examples, such as problems with running a particular map. Some people have reported problems applying the 402 patch because some file (such as botpack.u or umenu.u) is not recognized properly from their CD.

You might try the following reinstall procedure, simple as it
seems it has helped a lot of people with weird errors.

Corrupted files are sometimes installed without any error messages with some
CD-ROM drives; data is copied to your HD with read-errors, but for some
reason the CD drive doesn't warn the installer and everything appears to
have installed OK.

Copy everything from the CD to the hard drive, (running scandisk first to be
absolutely sure there's nothing wrong with the hard drive) then install from
the hard drive to the final destination folder. (you'll still need the CD in
the drive for playing.) Also, please make sure you install into a clean
(new) folder, not on top of any existing UT or UT-demo content.

If your only problem is with patching, you only need to copy the system directory from the CD. When the patch installer asks you for your CD directory, give it the directory in which the temporary system directory resides (if you copied the system directory to c:\UTtemp\system, then tell the patch installer that c:\UTtemp is your CD.

bullet2.gif

S*ck my Muzzle

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Uhh.. I'm pretty sure he's having problems with Unreal, not UT.

Just my thoughts.

Course the same solutions might work, you may have to change some names and locations to get it to fit.

bullet2.gif

Yeah, they come to snuff the Rooster...
nguid:167703

*Liquid*

Jan 11, 2000
Virginia
It's good to see someone out there is taking these random crashes seriously. Anyway, Havoc I am one of those poor fools who couldn't install the game from the CD because of the new Anti-Piracy protection encrypted on the disk. The UT Install Disk is now a permanent fixture on my hard drive.

Let's narrow this down a bit shall we? Does the problem happen when you are playing in singleplayer mode? It doesn't for me. The error only happens in Multiplayer. So, with that in mind, I beleieve it is yet another problem with UT's netcode. What do guys think?

Finsternis

Dec 24, 1999
Visit site
Thanks for the post Havoc, but I run UT
(yes it is indeed Unreal Tournament, Rooster)
from my HD with no-cd patch from the beginning.

And as for Liquid, it is an Multiplayer-only problem. No crashes in single mode at all.

SSSHAD

Dec 8, 1999
Sydney, NSW, Austr.
Well, lot of ppl advised this: uninstall -> scandisk -> defrag -> reinstall back. It did not help me tho.
Else, i was playing without a single error <patched version and not>, before messing with connection tweaks. Once i did that, my ping improved, but i started getting that frigging error thing.