multilinking modems??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr_Lynyrd

I am the PuF Lurker... kookookachoo!!
Feb 7, 2001
BFE, Tenn.
Has anyone here had experience with; or currently using a multilink modem setup for internet connections? I am thinking this might be the quickest route to upgrade my internet access since it looks like true broadband access in my town is gonna be a good way off.

I understand that I'll need another phone line and my ISP will have to let me dial into my account twice... I was wondering about cost, speed improvement and the like. Right now I ping UT servers at around 300-350 and I'm wondering how something like this would improve my ping for UT. Any experiences? Advice? THX!!

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
One of the members in my clan does, you will have to ask which one, I can't remember, but to talk to them, you will need firetalk basic, then go into the DRT Forum, we don't use IRC, I do however. But when you are in there ask for help on the subject and tell them DRT-Maverick told you to go there.

_Curiousity_

56k whipping boy:property of {Vld}
Oct 20, 2000
Ohio
vld.clanpages.com
AKA shotgunning, poor man's isdn: http://www.aplus.net/shotgun/index.html From what ive been told its not worth it at all. No increase in frames, no lower ping times lag just as bad or worse. all this does is increase your bandwith so your downloading times will double. If your downloading at 4-5kbs then shotgunning will give u 8-10kbs. not worth the time or money imo. Also go here, theres a post about this... http://www.pcstats.com/tweak3d/categories.cfm?catid=6

ThePlague{FU}

Jul 20, 2000
www.angelfire.com
I tried it for a little while. Cost will depend on the ISP usually ranging from $20-39 a month that I have seen. Pings didn't really improve much for me. The biggest improvement besides my download speed however was dealing with the use of BattleCom while playing UT. That's about it though. Unfortunatly, this is most likely due to the amount of users their were on the network, I would consistantly loose connections to server and this would stop happening at like 1am. hehe figures........connections the best when you should be in bed right?

So, to sum it up.........I'm back to a single modem and deal with alittle lag here and there while running battlecom.

Mr_Lynyrd

I am the PuF Lurker... kookookachoo!!
Feb 7, 2001
BFE, Tenn.
thx for the heads up...

Glad I asked around, thanks for the link, looks like the gaming aspect improves not at all. Pooey.

[MUTTS] Hiteche5

Rodney-like
Jun 15, 2000
Groton, Connecticut....again
Visit site
Multilinking will not increase ping time by much...just increases your download speed and for the cost it ain't worth it in my opinion...now you might look inot an ISDN modem if your ISP supports it it will increase ping ever so slightly. But most of the time the ISP's don't support it ISDN was a wash up