about modems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

|BoD|SwitcH

Mar 18, 2001
Visit site
can anyone help.....
i would like to know what the best 56k modem is...either 3.com us robotics or microlink 56k fun(ELSA)..?

or do you know of any other better ones. thx

Crager

Ahh...just a player here
Apr 30, 2000
NY
www.teamimmortal.org
V92 modems should be coming out anytine now. There supposed to be faster than the current v90 modems. Of course your isp may not support it when it comes out.

Just try to stay away from winmodems.

Frik_A_Frag

Mar 22, 2001
Visit site
I agree. V.92 modems will give you a bit better upload speeds If your isp supports them.

I would recomment only a hardware modem. IE onboard controller and onboard DSP. Stay away from winmodems since they make your cpu do all the signal processing work when it should be doing other things.

If you get an external serial modem, it will always be a true hardware modem, and it will not be able to overload your serial port, so max throughput is not effected.

If you go internal, I'd recommend an isa modem since it has way more bandwidth than a modem needs and you still should get one that is true hardware, to keep your cpu free for game performance.

Personally I use an off brand serial external modem, and get great connection speeds, 48000 lowest ever, usually 52000 or so. I've used creative modem blaster (POS), ibm internal pci modem, and some others and never got any better performance than I have now.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
External serial is the way to go - They're hardware and easier to swap between systems than ISA modems. Avoid USB modems as they also suck cycles off your processor.

The Diamond SupraExpress 56e is a good one. Model # 2730 - PC, v.90, Rockwell chipset, serial connection, ACF2. Not sure if it will be v.92 upgradable, though.

]Ui[duo

super kitty alerascaty away!! aye! aye! aye!
Mar 11, 2001
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
EEEeeeeeeeeeeKKKkkkkkkkk

geeeeeez
I just was looking at who was posting to see if i saw one i might want to look at when i saw |BoD|
i fell out of my chair and felt a shudder go up and down my spine. Say... what does your tag stand for switch??
sorry for being OT

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
ive tried about 6 modems trying to get my best game playin connx and believe it or not found the best for ut playin wasnt a 56k at all but the usr 28.8 sportster :> yea thats what i use and i tried 4 or 5 56k modems inc the usr v.everything...
not that i have a great connx or anything, just my experience ;)

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
NYGrrrl,

I've heard that forcing a lower connect speed with 56K could provide a more stable connection over poor phone lines. So although you're connection with a 28.8 is slower than 56K, I bet it is much more stable and therefore playable. Speed is important, but speed without the stability is pointless.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Another option which a buddy of mine does is pay to have a "private" line. This is a line which is restricted to a certain amount of subscribers...limiting the number of users, therefore getting rid of a lot of the traffic which can cause high ping.

-I_AM

A_Huge_Sweaty_Baboon

The Baboon... HAS.... SPOKEN
Aug 12, 2000
My Groin Is Sore
Visit site
i have a winmodem and i (used) to get pings of about 150 (F6) on local servers, no lag either.
Used to cause of this damn CSHP4l

Hey I_AM{skullface}, put that Darth Vadar pic in your sig if you want to use it that much.