Problems with Direct3d I need help!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zerstorer

Mar 17, 2001
Visit site
I have a strange issue it only happens with Direct3d in UT my sound crackles really badly and I get horrendous frame chop with d3d but i dont have any of these problems with OpenGl. The even stranger thing is that this problem only happens when I use any drivers for my video card besides the ones that were shipped originally with my 3d card if I use the ones on the cd the really old drivers I wont get any of those problems with d3d but if I use the newest 6.50 drivers from Nvidia I get the problem why? This is really annoying and strange. My system specs are:

Unreal Tournament version 436
Windows 98 4.10
Directx 8.0
AMD K6-3 450 cpu
Guillemot Xentor 32 (TNT2 ultra) currently using the 6.35 drivers from Guillemot but i still get the d3d problem only will i not have the problem is if i use the ones shipped on the cd.
256mb PC100 ram
Western Digital 15.3 gig 7200 rpm HDD
3com TPO ethernet card
Soundblaster Live! with newest Live ware 3.0 drivers
19" Magview VM900E monitor
DFI K6XV3+/66 system board using the latest 4in1 drivers from VIA

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Sorry, in advance, for being a smart-ass

Well you could....
Stop trying to use D3D and stick with OpenGL. Why screw around???

Seriously though. You mention you're using the drivers from the CD. Those were probably outdated when you opened the box. Go to Gmot's website and get the latest available drivers. I've suggested this to quite a few forumers' having similar problems and it almost always works. MAKE SURE you get the drivers from the manufacturer of you card (not the manufacturer of the chipset).

Robot TinMan|BuF

Godlike Blues Brutha
Feb 13, 2001
Sweden
www.clanrobot.com
Re: Sorry, in advance, for being a smart-ass

Originally posted by Peregrine
MAKE SURE you get the drivers from the manufacturer of you card (not the manufacturer of the chipset).
I just have one question regarding this: why?
I have a nVidia TNT2 (manufactured by Color Power, or something similar).
I found that the drivers from the chipset manufacturer was a whole lot better for me.

Zerstorer

Mar 17, 2001
Visit site
What did i fucking say i said that im using the 6.35 drivers from my card manufacturer and i still have the problem if i use the drivers on the cd that came with the card i wont have the problem. Also i have already reformatted about a month ago and even then i still had the same problem as now! And no i do not have any irqs being shared ive checked.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
OK well now you've done it....

RELAX dude. My god! Tin Man was talking to me there, NOT YOU! You see how he quoted me there?? Posts often branch out a little and start little "sub-threads".
"What did I f'in say" that's not going to make you many friends here, pal. To you, all I have to say is...
IF IT WORKS FINE WITH THE DRIVERS ON THE CD, THEN USE THEM!!!!! Why are you even screwing around with other drivers???? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
**TinMan**
I've seen it sooo many times. My buddy had a GeForce2 GTS 64 M. He was using Nvidia's drivers. UT, half-life kept crashing on him during our LAN party. He gave me the card and used another one he had. I tried the Nvidia drivers. Wouldn't run. I had to play everything in Software mode. When I got home I started looking around. The card was made by Leadtek. I got the Leadtek drivers and this card has been humming along ever since, with ZERO problems.
Also, I had almost no control over my settings with the Detonator drivers. I got Leadteks drivers and it came with some programs so I can tweak the hell out of the card. Manufacturer's build there own software apps for thier cards.
Third, I've told several people here in the forums' to try it my way, and they all had better luck with the OEM drivers then they did with the chipset drivers.
I'm glad your chipset drivers work, but from what I've seen, OEM drivers seem to work better.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Thank you..... OK check this...

Adjust Z-BUFFER Depth. Whatever it's set to, reverse it.
You didn't mention, do you have the PCI or AGP version?
If it's PCI check what PCI TEXTURE MEMORY SIZE is set to. If it's real high, bump it down a bit and see if it improves. If it's real low (less than 32) bump it up.
I don't know much about the TNT2 card, but I asked a friend here at work and he suggested looking at those.

**Also, TinMan**
That's the other thing about those nVidia Detonator drivers. They make one driver for every card. The TNT's and the GeForces' and ...well, every Nvidia Chipset. Every Nvidia chipset using the same drivers??? That even sounds wrong! :) :) *snicker*

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
My buddy just sent me this....

Recommended BIOS settings for TNT/TNT2

You'll need to restart your computer, and hit either Delete or F10 (or the key that is denoted on your screen) to enter your BIOS setup. If you've never seen your BIOS before, take a moment to explore it (not changing anything) before continuing. This will help you become familiar with changing the settings discussed herein. Some BIOSes may not let you change some of the following options, but if you'd like to be able to play with them anyway, using the program TweakBIOS will serve you well. Unfortunately, the program will not save your settings for you unless you buy the program. Therefore, you'll have to reapply them every time you restart.

Generally, if you have no major problems, these settings should be fine. But if you run into problems, adjusting these BIOS settings may help you. It is recommended that you adjust only a few settings at a time, rather than all of them at once. (Write down the original value for any settings you change first!)

These are the settings that NVIDIA and Tweak3D recommend:

Assign IRQ to VGA (or video) - Enabled or set to "Auto". The TNT and TNT2 require an IRQ to operate.

Video BIOS cacheable - Disabled or default. This shouldn't cause problems but won't significantly boost performance.

Video BIOS shadow - Enabled. This will speed up VGA BIOS accesses (like DOS dir, etc). Disable if you experience problems.

VGA Palette Snoop - Disabled. This is an old feature that is not required by the TNT/TNT2.

PCI Palette Snoop - Disabled. This is somewhat like the feature above. It should not be enabled for the TNT/TNT2.

C8xxxx-CBxxxx Shadow (where xxxx is any hex #) - Disabled. The TNT and TNT2 are already shadowed. These can be enabled if no other hardware tries to shadow in this area.

AGP Aperture size - If your TNT is of the PCI variety, this won't affect you, so jump ahead. The AGP Aperture size is the total amount of system memory available to an AGP video card (beyond the card's "local" memory). If your system frequently crashes, set it to 64 MB. If that doesn't help, set it to 256 MB, regardless of the amount of memory in your system.

If you have:
128+ MB ram: Set to 64 MB or 32 MB
96 MB ram: Set to 48 MB or 24 MB
64 MB ram: Set to 32 MB or 16 MB
48 MB ram: Set to 24 MB or 12 MB
32 MB ram: Set to 24 MB or 12 MB
16 MB ram: Set to 24 MB or 12 MB
If you only have 32 MB of memory or less, you really should consider adding more system RAM.

ASMDstick

Mar 22, 2001
Visit site
So , is it D3D or OpenGL ? That's the question..
I've Creative TNT2 Ultra and the best thing i've ever done to speed up UT was buying extra 64 memory , wiv 128 runs pretty smoth. I recon Detonator driver is the best for it. D3D i use for UT itself , OpenGL for Strike Force mod - u don't need it that fast there. What i want to know is 40fps online setup ( everything low) alright , or should i expect more from my system? P450
'coz've been playing like that for 0.5 year, what if i can get some 60-70fps???Sppose GeForce is the answer , wish i had cash..