Will Tribes 2 be the UT Killer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

icest0rm

Ready for a cold one?
Feb 16, 2001
Antarctica
www.frostcloud.com
What do you guys think? Will Tribes 2 be the UT Killer? Or maybe a Quake killer? Maybe even a CS killer?

Tough to say but now that Tribes 2 has gone gold (release date: March 29) I think Tribes 2 would be in the Top 3 of mostly played games online within 3 months.

Currently the Top 3 is:
1) Half-live/CS
2) UT
3) Quake3

One of these games will get bumped to #4 when Tribes 2 is out.

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Yea, I actually expect my UT playing to drop significantly when I get my hands on Tribes 2 :D

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
looks good, but...

I'll have to see what people say. fps etc. It looks like I immagine HALO. It looks beautiful. Is it first or third person? It looks like the player will have the choice. I don't know though, it will take a lot to pull me from UT.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Tribes 2 is going to be awesome.

I loved tribes, and will prolly decrease my UT Time starting the 29th. BUT no game will ever be the UT killer, except maybe UT2, Unreal Warfare, or another epic title on the same engine. UT/Q3A/HL are totally different games the Tribes/Tribes2/CS. There really is no comparison.

I know UT has teamgames that are good, nothing like 3 team domination... but UT is DM. It is the epitome of DM. Q3A is not far behind. Tribes, and CS are team games, and team games only. They are as well much better team games. I haven't played Q3TA, or any team games on Quake, and I never liked Quake 2, but I'm told I'm not missing much.

You can't kill UT. You can only take the spot light off it for a bit.

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Alot of people say they will switch to Tribes 2 when its released, but you know thats ok if thats what they want. As for me I did not like Tribes 1 period, and I will not like Tribes 2 for the simple reason the style of the game I found that I got bord real quick flying from base to base plus online play for alot of 56kers is not all that good!
UT does seem to have a better online play, and as for keeping my feet on the ground :) thats where I like it..

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
more likely than not, the only probable UT killers for me are either Doom3 or U2 ;) pretty far off I know, but UT is the only game I've really been addicted to.. its easily the only game I've played frequently for a year

I haven't paid much attention to Tribes2 but I'll definately check out the demo, which I hear is being released soon, and I'll of course buy the game if the demo intrests me..

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
the list is
1.halflife
2.UT
3.elite force (quake 3 sucks now)

and I really doubt tribes 2 bump any of these out, because of its bad interface and controls. PCgame magazine managed to get a almost finished version of tribes 2 and they said that unless its interface is fixed its gonna be a pain for new players, and the command system that the team leader uses to give to players is just as bad as in tribes 1. I know tribes 2 will be a good game but its still gonna be critized for the bad interface.
assuming they dont fix it of course :)

Rev.Whoopass

Sperm Bot
Aug 5, 2000
Connecticut
Visit site
I doubt it.Tribes is a MASSIVE team based game,and alot of people don't really want to put that type of time into a game.I am NOT saying the game will suck,but you cannot have 1 person on your team,being the hero.

In UT 1 person CAN make a difference,not in Tribes.There is way too many tasks that have to be carried out.I am really waiting for this game,but HALO even more.

BaTaTa

Mar 5, 2001
Argentina
Visit site
Originally posted by icest0rm
What do you guys think? Will Tribes 2 be the UT Killer? Or maybe a Quake killer? Maybe even a CS killer?

Tough to say but now that Tribes 2 has gone gold (release date: March 29) I think Tribes 2 would be in the Top 3 of mostly played games online within 3 months.

Currently the Top 3 is:
1) Half-live/CS
2) UT
3) Quake3

One of these games will get bumped to #4 when Tribes 2 is out.

u forgot about HALO.

{WAC}DJ JaKe

Wild And Cruel
Dec 11, 2000
Toronto
www.wildandcruel.cjb.net
Im very interested to see what Tribes2 can do. What are the required specs to play it? I mean REAL specs to play it. It says i can play UT with 233 and 32RAM, but can i REALLY play it like that?
The Answer is NO
Again, HALO is another title many are looking foward to. I like team based play, and i really wouldnt play otherwise. CTF4EVER! UT will always be a classic. I doubt i can just drop it and find something else to play. My FPS career(however small it may be, or big) was born here, on UT, and i think many wont turn it away that easy. But expect a little less traffic on most FPS servers that opening week of T2
BTW, if theres a demo anytime soon, let us know!

Shock6822

Cock of the Walk
Jul 2, 2000
That way ->
Yes, Tribes 2 WILL take away from every fps, not just UT. Watch all the numbers drop significantly...I wont be surprised oen bit to see it overtake CS as the #1 online fps :-/

Stillborn

PHEAR IS JUST ANOTHER 4 LETTER WORD...
Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Hmmm I must be missing something here... What is HALO?!? Never heard of the game... Yupp, I know... I'm an ignorant bastard...

steveyboy

Chicken-tastic
Feb 15, 2000
England
Visit site
Nah....

Somehow I don't think that Tribes 2 will beat CS and HL at the top, unless it proves to be reallllllllllllllllllly good. But somehow I don't think so, the appeal isn't as attractive in a campaign game like tribes compared to the quick-blast of DM games (hence their popularity). And also CS and HL are also more older-pc friendly than Tribes 2 will ever be, the fact you can have a good game on a 56k modem is probably the reason it's most played online.

Maybe Tribes 2 will be good, and hopefully so, but not the UT killer. Or is this some sort of attempt at hype?

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Guess for the time being I'll stick to UT...and wait to see what the review are like for Tribes 2. I'm still waiting for Serious Sam to come out...what a blast of a game! It's great to take the "seriousness" out of a game and just make it straight up silly fun and action.

HALO should be great as well...I just hope the xbox can pull it off. It's gonna be tough to have a team based game that is controller based. I wonder what xbox keyboard will look like! LOL

-I_AM