PDA

View Full Version : 3D fight: Unreal 2 engine vs Doom 3 engine: The winner??

FulGur
18th Mar 2001, 02:09 PM
I see some screenshots of Unreal 2 and Doom 3, and I prefer Unreal 2 a lot!! I see in forum " Waouh go see
at this site screenshots of Doom 3!! ",
I went to these sites, and I saw screenshots of Doom 3:
they were very ugly!! Not by the 3D, wonderful, but It's black... I know, It's Doom-Quake style, but I prefer the
exotic planet of Unreal2, don't you think so??

( Also, I'm french, so if there is some mistakes - or many- say it! )

Flare123
18th Mar 2001, 06:39 PM
were did you see screen shots of Doom3? I havent seen anything for that game yet, other then that its being made right now.

ZombieKilla
18th Mar 2001, 09:08 PM
Yeah, where the heck did you get screen shots of Doom3? You married to one of the id team members or something?

Unreal 2 looks amazing, but lets remember we'll need 64MB of video texture memory to enjoy high resolution textures. That means us idiots who just recently purchased 32MB cards will be forced to use low-res.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO TEXTURE COMPRESSION?!

The story line is non contiguous in relation to Unreal 1, which leaves me to wonder why Epic said it was going to be continued. Sure, the universe is the same, Skarrj and whatnot, but this game is going to be TOTALLY different. Squad combat will be key, a huge change from the single person run and gun of the first Unreal. While I've gotten used to squad combat thanks to UT, I'd rather have human beings controlling those other players and not the CPU AI, which always does what you don't want it to do. Remember Daikatana. *Ugh*

Cyberian_2K
18th Mar 2001, 09:42 PM
Voyager Elite Force did a good job with Squad combat. Your AI teammates were cool and unobtrusive.

But yeah, there is always the possibility of your AI teammate ****in' it up for you in some way.

Let's hope "upgraded NPC AI" actually means that.

ravenus
19th Mar 2001, 09:42 AM
FYI, the so-called Doom3 shots are captures from a video demo of the engine technology that will power the game. There's no saying that any of that footage will be seen in the actual game or the game will look anything like that.

tkip
8th Apr 2001, 02:19 PM
From what I heard and seen, those images in the Doom3 demo are in fact from the game. If the images are to be believed then there is simply no contest between Unreal2's engine and Doom3's.