How do I simulate glass

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Saracen

Mar 22, 2000
Visit site
I've gotten pretty good at all the basics of UnrealED but I'd like to add some glass and see-through brushes. I've looke for a few tutorials and haven't been able to find any on how to do it. If anyone knows where some are or could just give me some info on how to do it I'd appreciate it.

Pj

Dec 17, 1999
www.lanzadera.com
Let's do a window. Firts you have to make the room inside your world with, for example, a hollow rectangle. Then make the hole of the window substracting a solid rectangle.
To make the glass select a flat brush. It's the button under the cubic and spheric. Move and rotate it to situate it at the hole of the window. Now look for a nice texture. I know there are special textures for glasses. Then add the brush.
Select the brush left-clicking on it and select properties. Here you have to make your brush to 2 sided and translucent.
That's all.
You can improve your glass making it a mover that moves out your world when hitting it and adding a breaking glass effect.

bullet2.gif

Young people know the laws, old people the exceptions

ether

Feb 1, 2000
San Diego, CA
www.remixradio.com
I'd have to disagree with PJ, as creating glass with Add, instead of 'Add Special' can lead to some ugly BSP holes. And they might not be there the first time you try it but sneak in later, at least that's how i came across it.

The way to create glass that has worked for me is this:
1) Create your window opening as PJ described it
2) create your sheet brush to fit the opening
3) build it using 'add special' and using the preset for glass (i think you need to check 2-sided as well)
4) add your glass texture. Now you have glass you can walk and shoot through
5) create an cube brush (about 2 units thick that's just slightly smaller than your window and put it near the window so that it does not touch the walls or your glass. Do a normal 'add' then select all surfaces and make the brush invisible using the surface properties dialog.

bullet2.gif

--ether http://www.remixradio.com/ut/

[This message has been edited by ether (edited 03-23-2000).]