PDA

View Full Version : 'The Roost' is no more.

Rooster
15th Mar 2001, 12:06 AM
You'll want to take it out of your Favorites list and off your UT Watcher.

I want to thank the hundreds of players for the thousands (8350 to be exact) of games played on The Roost. I'm glad I could help provide a fun, challenging environment for players.

May I suggest Blatanizer's PukeStain - 64.52.83.170, or The Web 209.83.223.253 - for a fun game?

If you're into DM - try Free Beer! 128.208.57.166

You'll find me on those. :)

Anyway... as they say - Thanks for the memories.

{950}Slayer|PuF
15th Mar 2001, 12:44 AM
Thanks Rooster!! It wassome fun games I had there!!

Morety
15th Mar 2001, 01:06 AM
Well, I had some great times on that server, and lost a few hours of my life thanks to you.

Thank you for all you've done.

May the Roost rest in peace. :(

rhakka
15th Mar 2001, 01:43 AM
thanks roo... /me sniffs

]Ui[duo
15th Mar 2001, 02:21 AM
I taught some newbies what this game is all about a few times..... and got my assed kicked the rest of the times :) gonna miss it
"Is any body else getting turned on, or is it just me... it's just me isnt it"- Drew Carey Show

cryco
15th Mar 2001, 02:42 AM
Roo, your server helped me become the player I am....
Kick @ss server. Gonna miss it, especially all the good peeps who played there. Thanx A MILLION!!!
Now, there are no quality servers in my faves that I ping well on. :( What am I gonna do? Wait till 2 am to play on Swine?
What happened to the server? Did we toast it? :)
Too much of me, heh?
*sigh*, I need a good east coast server with good challenge... Any suggestions?

hal
15th Mar 2001, 02:59 AM
gg's

wiggum_pi
15th Mar 2001, 03:16 AM
I still remember when the server opened last year. I remember playing some kickass games with yall on it :). It was there that I first learned of RuffRider's talent...

Jing
15th Mar 2001, 03:22 AM
what hal said =)
GG

Robot TinMan|BuF
15th Mar 2001, 03:32 AM
I've had many fun games on the Roost. Too bad it's gone. *sigh*
May it rest in peace and loads of thx to ya Roo, for serving the community with such a great server.

]Ui[duo
15th Mar 2001, 03:35 AM
not to get off topic but i was listening to Opus 40(Mercury Rev) when checking what y'all said and it was kind of sad *snif snif :rolleyes:
Try it :p
Perfect melody for this kind of mushy stuff.
I better go, I am getting kind of misty :rolleyes:
I say we all get drunk and look back on the good ol' dayz....... can someone smuggle me a drink while you're at it

Pope
15th Mar 2001, 08:33 AM
*sniff. My CTF baby steps server. *sniff

WebSlinger
15th Mar 2001, 08:54 AM
PuF and #planetunreal will not be the same without the Roost. I know I didn't play a whole heck of a lot on it (just a few games) but playing there was a big eye opener, when I left Bollwerk with like -4 frags I thought wow. When I got my first cap in Dreary it was a confidence builder.

And let's not forget the "cleanliness" of the server. Roo tried his best to get rid of tha llamas and idiots who would otherwise just vandalise the server.

Thanks for the p1mpage for my (ahem, er, your) server The Web (http://209.83.223.253), which will always continue to have your name in the MOTD as long as I admin it for all the help you put into getting The Web playable.

I will not run Carry the Flag as often (only during midday), so PuF'ers can have a decent CTF server in the mid-USA

how many times have we said it? I'll say it again... "Thanks Roo"

Morety
15th Mar 2001, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by cryco

*sigh*, I need a good east coast server with good challenge... Any suggestions?

Try 950 clan official server #1. I'm in Toronto, and I get great pings there. There's usually a good mix of MyU guys and 950 clanners with some cool maps. The server's nice and crisp with compressed re-directed downloads. The competition's not as great as swine for obvious reasons, but I've had some really challenging games there. Great attitudes by the players as well.

Zaccix
15th Mar 2001, 09:44 AM
I remember when Ci started out last year and we needed a server for practices and matches. Rooster stepped in to help and lent us The Roost a few times. Thanks :)

GG Roost.

Swedix
15th Mar 2001, 10:10 AM
Sad, sad.
When i finally got a decent connection "The Roost" goes down.
I have often seen in my UT Browser a lot of people from PU playing there but my ping was allways around 350 -400 so I wouldn't join.
So sad :(

Peregrine
15th Mar 2001, 10:36 AM
I still think it should have been called "The Coop". Come on, Roosters' don't live in .. well.. Roosts'! Hehehe
That's more for a PEREGRINE!
:) :)
"Fare thee well, The Roost!"

bushwacker
15th Mar 2001, 11:08 AM
GGs Roo, thanks for all the help you've given Ci, your legend lives on at The Web.

UnrealGrrl
15th Mar 2001, 11:25 AM
sorry to see one of the few really good tuff servers with great rotation and players go... you will be missed! :(

GunnerX
15th Mar 2001, 11:34 AM
Nooooo!!!! *sob*

I have to say thanks for Everything Rooster. The Roost was the very first server in my fave list and will always remain as my fave. I will truly miss my <100 pings there, and the occasional 6000+ ping.

Thanks again Roo for providing muTTs a server for matches.

WasHighPingDuck
15th Mar 2001, 11:59 AM
Hi Rooster,
This is not good news, I just have to say THANK YOU!
It may have been the feathers but I always felt at home there. :)
Of course, most of the feathers lying arround were mine!
PuF rocks, don't be strangers eh!

OshadowO
15th Mar 2001, 12:43 PM
Hal said it bets
gg's
Thx Roo.

I_B_Bangin
15th Mar 2001, 12:55 PM
I hated my first few experiences on the Roost. I wanted to play with PuFers, but I hated how everyone teletrained all over the place and everyone was a shock h0.

But those experiences taught me that I had to adapt and alter my CTF play style and sure enough I began to teletrain all over the place and then began to h0 that shock rifle a lot more.

Thanks for the good times, Roo!

/me breaks out into song, singing the Titanic theme song "My heart will go on" by Celine Dion :D

DividedSky
15th Mar 2001, 12:57 PM
Wow, the end of an era.

Many thanks to Rooster. The Roost will earn instant entry into the UT server hall of fame and will be sorely missed!

Blatant Bastich
15th Mar 2001, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the awesome server man!!!

I have some great memories of some awesome games there!!!!

kamikaze9
15th Mar 2001, 03:35 PM
Damn, that sucks... I haven't played it an awhile because my ping to it got kinda bad recently, but it was my first exposure to the really good players of UT, and I learned a lot on it.

R.I.P. :)

Enigmatic Terror
15th Mar 2001, 05:17 PM
Before the killer packet loss, I had a blast playing on the roost. Sad to see it is no more :(

]Ui[duo
15th Mar 2001, 05:28 PM
Rooster i have cleared out a little spot in the corner of my room.......... snif snif just for you /end snif :rolleyes:
It has pictures that i printed of me playing on the roost.
And also there is a picture of my pings :*( ill miss the server
Yes i am aware that it is now gonna be a RA server, but still no more public CTF

Boom
15th Mar 2001, 05:32 PM
GGs.

It will be staying on my favorites list. :)

TheFallen1980
15th Mar 2001, 07:15 PM
I am so sorry roo i will miss the wakeup your roost gave me
Dont worry someday when i open my own server i will let you admin it becuse i am not that good yet
I hope you dont disapper from UT
I want to learn from you yet your a great friend and teacher
TheFallen
p.s i am still the worst player out there
play me to help me keep that rank
if i lose its all good if i win then darn i am geting better

{L}OutZ{JEDI}
15th Mar 2001, 09:55 PM
It was the ONLY public server I played on that I enjoyed MOST of the time. There really isn't any other server out there with the group of people, maps, pings (even though mine sucked most of the time) like the Roost.

The memories will live on...

HuFlungDung
16th Mar 2001, 12:00 AM
I never played there very much, because it was always full of real sharp Lpb's.;) But to anyone who would put up a server for others to have the benfit of, I give thanks.

Butress
16th Mar 2001, 12:18 AM
:(

The Roost will be missed...

I just loved getting owned there...

:(

C¥BER PETE
16th Mar 2001, 11:19 AM
Without a doubt The Roost will be missed. Always good quality players there.

Rooster what happened? How come you took it down?

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF
16th Mar 2001, 02:59 PM
Rooster thanks for running a great server! I don't think I ever was higher than last place on my team when I played there... :)

I'll second Pete... what happened Roo? Why is the server coming down? Is it a work thing? (I think the server was run from his place of employment)

MOE

Rooster
17th Mar 2001, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

As for why - better to be safe than sorry. Read into that what you will. ;)

Rev.Whoopass
17th Mar 2001, 10:02 AM
Really sorry to hear it bro.I remember being a n00b,and "trying" to connect to the roost.Either it was full,or empty.When I did connect,I got whooped on so bad,I vowed to never go back there agin. :)
But,Rooster helped me along the way,and In no time he had me fraggin' with evryone else.Hope to see you around,anyway.

Wolf Blackstar
17th Mar 2001, 11:28 PM
Well Roo, it's been great having the Roost around, and it will be missed sorely indeed.

As to what you said - based on those words, I've got a pretty good idea of why it's coming down. Sometimes we just have to make decisions like this. Best of luck to you, friend. :)

]LoL (http://home.triad.rr.com/jmayes/lol/)[Sgt_Sin|PuF (http://www.planetunreal.com/puf/place.htm)

<]LoL[Troll>OH MY GOD, There is BLOOD all over the flagstand!

-http://www.angelfire.com/games/UTstuff/images/chainsaw.GIF
http://www.planetunreal.com/capture/other/utcacbutton.gif

Rodzilla
18th Mar 2001, 03:21 AM
Doh...despite my bad pings anywhere, the roost was fun, we'll all miss it:(

Thanks roo!:D

Pillsbury Flow Boy
19th Mar 2001, 04:00 AM
I've played on alot of servers before, and in heavy gunfights, PL like mad, no server, except Six Feet Under, gave me the pings, and nill PL that I saw there, and to say the least, for the few games I played, I realized there is hope for me after all :)

I will definetely miss it... maps where awesome... the play was awesome, and the competition was fierce but friendly... :D

Thanks for the games, and I'll check on them other servers, see what they give me for ping :)

Survey_Says
1st Apr 2001, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the server and all the good times and games roo, UT was always more fun when I was playing on the roost. better people, attitudes, and competition than any other server out there.

Stosh
2nd Apr 2001, 01:19 PM
Thank You Rooster!!!

[MUTTS] Hiteche5
2nd Apr 2001, 02:33 PM
The muTTs would like to thanks you for letting us have the Roost for some of these matches. I always pinged well (and got fragged as well)

GG's Rooster