UT and Firewalls?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

7thPixel

Dot Com CEO
Feb 15, 2000
www.7thPixel.net
For all you broadband UT'ers out there, I recently tried to use ZoneAlarm for a firewall and still try to play UT online.

It didn't work, ZoneAlarm crashed my UT when it tried to connect and then after I gave the UT.exe access thru ZoneAlarm, it proceeded to kill it.

I had to reinstall UT just to get it to work again.

just a warning.

Any ideas on a software firewall program to use with online play?

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
tell me about it!

No idea where you can get that info. I did some hard research into it, and it appears that you need to get your system admin to grant you rights to allow incoming and outgoing information through your server. Good luck, and if you find out anything, keep me posted!

7thPixel

Dot Com CEO
Feb 15, 2000
www.7thPixel.net
I_AM:

I think you may have misunderstood. I'm just on a personal computer at home with bi-directional cable. I have no network, but I wanted some protection for my PC and be able to play UT online without having the firewall screw up my game. ZoneAlarm wrecked everything, so I just gave up.

I know my server admin at work would die if I asked him to open up a port for me to play from there, hehehe.

cloudscapes:

This was the free version of ZoneAlarm I tried. It corrupted UT when I gave it permission to connect to the net. Maybe it was a fluke, but I'm not willing to try it again.

I'll probably just get a hardware firewall anyway...

thnx for the replies

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
ZoneAlarm isn't bad for a free program, but on occasion, it doesn't like to play nicely with certain setups, whether it be a particular networked enabled program such as Unreal Tournament, or even the operating system itself.

I'm in the process of looking into a software firewall for my parent's SDSL connection (Don't have a spare machine to setup a nice OpenBSD firewall. Yet.) and came across a site called FirewallGuide.com. Zone Alarm doesn't like WinME, and I don't have my Win98SE cd-rom along with me, so I'm going to try out the other choices they have listed.