Upgrading my system, Win2K or Win98???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheJerm

Feb 8, 2001
San Diego, CA USA
Visit site
I've been refreshing the UPS tracking screen about every 5 minutes, just waiting to see that "Delivered" status. My parts are on a truck, somewhere between the UPS hub and my house. I'm excited. I'm upgrading my current Pentium 2 300 MHz with 64 Meg of ram to an AMD Athalon 900 with 256 meg. Also, I'm upgrading my Voodoo 3, 3000 to the Voodoo 5500.

Could anyone let me know if they've had any problems running Win2K with any of these components? I'm primarily using the computer for gaming, so, FPS is my primary goal. My old system has Windows 98 on it, and everything seemed to have ran fine.

Anything I should be leery of?

synergy

{ThC}XiKo
Dec 2, 2000
WINME!!!!LMAO!!!!

that is like the most unstable OS ever...i'd go with win2k pro:D

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
WinME owns Win98SE.

Ignore these goons that likely don't know a driver from a .bat file ;)

WinME is by far & away MUCH more stable than Win98SE can ever try to be.

I've had ONE blue screen so far (over 6 months I think).

Win98 would BSOD weekly.

Believe me, when you work with 120 computers on a daily basis, you learn what works and what doesn't.

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
That's the problem with Windows: You can never know how it will work on your computer until you try.
So try Win Me, if it crashes a lot or keeps being annoying with its "friendly" features, move to Win2k

...or buy a Mac :)

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
You'll forgive me if I state that there is a vast difference in the controlled environment of the office, and the uncontrolled environment of the home.

What runs smoothly and stable with the types of applications run in an office, in which the machines are maintained by trained techs, in no way reflects on performance inside the home of your average consumer user who wishes to run the multimedia and games that is common.

After doing residence hall network tech support for a university of 20,000 students, I see reason to upgrade to WinMe and a few good reasons not to.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Of course there's a difference. But when you're involved with a company that has to rigorously test their software on all (windows) platforms so ensure stability on client's workstations, you see more than the usual "office".

As well, I've had all Windows incarnations on my 3 PC's at home (each with different config's and hardware).

WinME has been far more stable for me, my friends, and my (extended) family.

So yeah, it's my opinion, but I'd say it's pretty well backed up. :)

Robot TinMan|BuF

Godlike Blues Brutha
Feb 13, 2001
Sweden
www.clanrobot.com
BAT-file, Roo?? Waz dat?:D
All I can say is that ME didn't do any good in my rig.
It kept loosing IP# (not ISP's fault I might add), messing up the desktop and such stuff.
I know ME is supposed to be more stable for multimedia apps, but it wasn't for me.;)
Therefore I'm going with Win98SE.
I tried 2k also, that even worked worse.

If U want to USE the comp, buy a Mac. If U want to swear, reformat, tweak and whatever; stick with PC.:p

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
My wife's new computer came with ME and it's been quite a stable OS so far. There are a good number of things to like about it. It's probably the best choice if you have mostly new hardware and are planning on doing a clean install and not just patching 9x to ME.

As a long term chocie, I don't think I'd install 98 unless you just have some software/hardware that you know is going to have some issues with ME. I know ME is supposed to be 100% compatable with all Win9x hardware/software, but.... :)

Win2k is rock-solid, but maybe not the number one choice for the casual home-user.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
120 Rooster?? That's it??

*My last OS debate**
I support over 425 computers. I, also, know what I'm talking about.
We have Windows 2000, on NT servers. We'll be going to 2000 servers soon. I adore Windows 2000. It is rock solid. I can't break it. At work.
At home I've had it all, as well ('cept MAC). WIN98SE works FOR ME, far and away, better than anything yet. I don't get blue screens, I don't get lock ups. WIN98SE is small, fast, and tight on my box. And that ME restore thing in the beginning annoys the crap out of me. ME's big. Bulky. I thought the next OS would boot faster. Not. Try slower. As for 2000 at home?? It's OK. Not fantastic. Everything seems to run a bit slower, but you will rarely have to even SHUT THE THING OFF!!! :)
**This are just my opinions
I could be wrong**

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Ahem*

WinME isn't the *best* Roo. I upgraded (and fresh installed it once) on my computer and it ran like shit. Within 2 hours of installing (and yes, I know drivers from batch files thank you very much :D) it BSOD like once an hour. Seriously. It did this both times (from the upgrade and from a fresh install). So I promptly uninstalled and sold it to my boss. lol

My friend has WinME as well.. all was fine for about a month and then it went to hell. And he doesn't do anything except turn the computer on and load Diablo2 or Evercrack. So it wasn't due to him hacking around.

Sorry, but from my expereinces, I would say go to win98se if you want pure FPS. With your setup though, I would go to win2k Pro which is more stable than win98se or winME could ever hope to be. Sure you lose some FPS, but it's definately playable. I am getting around 40-90 (averages - based on map and number of people playing) in UT in win2k. (t-bird 950, gf2gts64, 512 megs RAM)

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Here we go again. This is the never ending story. ;)

I go with Roo. At home I have been running Win 95, Win 98, Win98 SE and Win ME.
I prefer Win ME. It's faster than the other versions.
I have used ME for about 6 months. The only time it crashed was when I used a bad driver for my video card. Never had any problems since then.
Most of my friends use ME. The only time they had problems was when they installed ME over 98.
After reformatting and a clean install everything works fine for them.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
**BOTTOM LINE**

It's personal preference AND how your hardware gets along with the OS. You can never say "This one is best" because what's best on your hardware, isn't nessacarily best on mine or anyone elses'. My suggestion to the thread-keeper here is,
Go with whatever you have right now. If you have 98SE, try it. Have ME?? Try it. Try SE and it sux for you? Go buy ME. Vice-versa. Have WIN95??? DEFINITLY UPGRADE to whichever is cheaper when you're at the store!
;)

'NUFF SAID

alien8

Run, you magnificent bastard.
Well, I took the jump and moved from Win98SE to Win2K, and I've had very good luck with it. UT runs great and the OS seems to be very solid for me. The only problem I've had UT wise is that sometimes when I'm holding down a fire button, it'll just stop, resulting in some embarassing "chain-gun-stopping-opponent-flak-cannoning-me" incidents :)

SuRGV

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
I would say Win2k eventhough I have dualboot (win98&Win2k) now on my computer. I had Win98 installed because some games refused to work on Win2k. But I play only UT now and I only loose about 1-3 FPS in UT on Win2k (who cares) but FPS is more stable on Win2k than Win98, so Win2k is my best choice.
WinMe was my worst experience in 3 OSs (Win98, WinMe, Win2k) I have tried. After more than 2 months with all needed applications (OS and apps: about more than 2 GB, games were in different partition) installed, it became SLOW like a shit. WMP 7 is a joke, Restore feature is useless (for me), System Information is huge thing to open (like Photoshop),...well, forget it.
My dualboot now seems to be a perfect choice.
SuRGV

Retro|PuF

Skilled
Sep 2, 2000
Northwest Indiana, US
www.geocities.com
I prefer Win2k...

General info on me: I worked at my ISP for about a year and a half providing support over the phone, and have worked at my current job for about a year, one of three techs providing support to about 550 computers for a county gov't. I'm definitely not saying I know it all - just saying that I'm not John Q. User buying an E-machine from RadioShack...

My PC:
PIII 500
Gigabyte GA-6XBC mobo w/ Intel 440BX chipset (with required BIOS update)
Western Digital 20GB 7200rpm HDD
128 (later 384) MB PC100 RAM
Diamond Viper V770 AGP (32MB)
SoundBlaster Live!
etc...

Win98(SE) was a pretty stable OS for me, and very compatible with games and/or multimedia. I found that adding -more- than 128MB of RAM did slow it down a little in Windows. UT ran pretty well, but not "great"... I'd average around 25-35fps...

WinME was o-k for games... didn't notice an improvement over Win98(SE), though. However, I did have lots of problems with the screen savers and power management. Every time it went to screen saver and/or suspend, it would BSOD and I'd have to restart rather frequently. Windows operations (menus, opening/closing programs, etc...) weren't any faster than 98. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

Win2k Pro has been very good to me. I first installed it at work as a dual-boot with Win95(for support purposes). The machine is a DigitalPC, Pentium 200 w/MMX, with 160MB RAM. Win2k made a HUGE improvement in speed in normal Windows operations and programs. It also made the system 100% more stable... Win95 used to freeze 1-2 times/day. On my home system, I noticed the same performance increase in Windows operations... and also noticed a large increase in my UT fps as well. Last night I played a match in the single-player tournament... My minimum fps was about 40, and my max was about 63... my average was about 50.5... it was SMOOTH and FAST as hell... :D I love it!

I'm not pro-Micro$oft... it just seems like they finally made an OS for higher-end systems. Win2k seems to handle fast CPU's and mucho megs o' RAM much better than Win98(SE) or WinME.

As always - this is my opinion based on my own experience.

Last edited: