SimplyCosmic: quick question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Hey SC, Alarion here -

First off:
Grr... Hey Stallion use *persistent MySQL connections* for VBulletin

well I had this nice long post thoughouly describing what I wanted to say, but I got the infamous "too many MySQL connections" and it wouldn't let me go back :(

Now:
Anyhow, I just downloaded the Mandrake 7.2 iso's and have been reading about the KT133/WD problems that were relevent to beta8.0 and the 2.4 kernel. It now seems these also apply to Mandrake 7.2 as well.

I have a Asus a7v (KT133) and a WD 40 gigger (with the last two letters of model number being 'BB'). I have read that some people are recommending to install (and boot) with idex=noautotune and that fixes the problem for some.

Do you have any comments on this, or some links to reference topics on this? I *just* got this new drive and don't want to go fscking everything up with my win2k and BeOs partitions...

Thanks man,

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Just in case you haven't run across this site yet, Mandrake's Open Forums might be able to help with specific questions.

I've heard about this problem with certain brands of harddrives (particularly ATA100 drives). According to some, the solution you've come across is one of best solutions.

From the Mandrake website:
When the splash screen comes up, press F1, then type "linux ide0=noautotune ide1=noautotune ide2=noautotune ide3=noautotune" (without the quotes and leaving out any ide channels that have no hard disks attached. ) You will also need to add "ide0=noautotune ide1=noautotune..." to the append line of each system identified in the bootloader (click on the boot label and edit the system). Once you have a booting system you may advance the drives to higher performance with the hdparm command.

I've also heard that this problem has been fixed by Alan Cox in the 2.4.2 kernel release, which means a kernel upgrade. Your mileage may vary, offer void in Kansas.

However, since I don't have one of these drives, I haven't been paying as much attention as I should.

scsig152.jpg

|H|Alarion

Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Allright thanks :)

Figured you might have some more info than I would ;)

Man, I have been away from Linux for too long.. KDE2 is pretty sweet.. guess I should check out Gnome as well and see if that has improved :)

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
I used to switch back and forth between KDE 2 and Gnome, but have finally settled on Gnome based purely on personal taste. As soon as the KDE section of Themes.org starts having a proper amount of K2 themes, I might look into it again.

If you're going to try Gnome, might I suggest doing it through Ximian (Formerly Helix). They have a nifty little installer and keep their distribution of Gnome pretty up to date for all the major distributions.

I also found Eazel's Nautilus PR3 to be a nice file manager for the Gnome environment.

|H|Alarion

Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Hmm, well I had updated through Ximian before and all went well

I did it this time and now neither KDM or GDM display "gnome" in the desktop choices. It *was* displayed before I updated. I didn't have much time earlier to look, but I wasn't able to find a config file for either to say what options to provide. Might you know where I should look for those?

Thanks,

SimplyCosmic

Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
I had this problem when I was running Mandrake (I've switched over to Debian) and now need to rack my brains on how I fixed it.

The main configuration file is in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, however, this controls more of the actual client itself and not the options you're looking for.

The actual listed options (ie KDE, WindowMaker, Gnome, etc) are what are called Session scripts and are stored in /etc/gdm/Sessions. If you cd into that directory, you'll notice a seperate script file for each of the types of managers you could run. There probably is one for Gnome there, but it won't be loaded into the menu unless it's readable and executable by everyone (check with a "ls -l"). A "chmod a+rx gnome" should fix it. If you get the same problem again, just check and make sure that it hasn't been reset by Mandrake. (sometimes the added security features will reset things when enabled).