Skill level

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Da PlaN-R

flak sandwhich maker
Feb 24, 2001
central europe
I finished the deathmatch ladder in single player at the difficulty of expirienced. Is that good? I played 4 player on dm-hyperblast at skillfull with some bot's which were a bit less than avarage for one hour and won with a 45 frag lead. Every time I play dm-tempest with auto adjust skill on it adjust me from skillfull to godlike. Now i havn't been online since i have the biggest ping on earth (i download at an avarage of 0.7 kb per second) but how good do you think I am?

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Bots play like poo.

Sorry. :(

I'm not saying you aren't good. You might be, but there is no way to tell by playing bots. You gotta get a decent connection, or go to a lan party.

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by Da PlaN-R
I finished the deathmatch ladder in single player at the difficulty of expirienced. Is that good? I played 4 player on dm-hyperblast at skillfull with some bot's which were a bit less than avarage for one hour and won with a 45 frag lead. Every time I play dm-tempest with auto adjust skill on it adjust me from skillfull to godlike. Now i havn't been online since i have the biggest ping on earth (i download at an avarage of 0.7 kb per second) but how good do you think I am?

This is good!

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
It is difficult to say. From the tons of similar posts we've had about this I'd have to say that being able to get through the levels at adept or masterful will allow you to do reasonably well for yourself online. Get through all the DM levels at Inhuman and you will probably be one of the better players out there :)

You will need to go far beyond experienced in order to have much success online. You'll get there though. It just takes time. You need to keep playing until you learn what it is that you are doing wrong, or what you can do better in order to beat the bots.

ION_Ace

Assault player
Dec 26, 2000
Behind you
www.clan-ion.com
I just played all the assault levels 1v3 at inhuman, won 7-0. It's very hard to tell for example some ppl who often play bots know the botpaths and will just camp with sniper shooting where they will go

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
What you have to remember it that this guy is talking about DM. AS and DOM in particular are very eay to beat at any bot skill level. DM is more difficult. I also imagine he is talkign about playing a fair rounded game, rather than camping :)

In my mind playing bots at DM and working your way through all the levels at increasing difficulty is one of the greatest learning tools available. When they kick your ass you have to keep trying to think of tricks and new techniques in order to beat them.

ION_Ace

Assault player
Dec 26, 2000
Behind you
www.clan-ion.com
yeah easy 3v3 not 1v3.
I think one of the best practices is prolly just 1v1 vs an inhuman bot and customise him, start of lowering his accuracy and making him jumpy or whatever and slowly increase his stats. Play him on fairly small dm maps, also try and dl some demos of good 1v1 matches at www.clanbase.com or another site

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I also beat the game on experienced my first time around... went online and realized that it doesn't mean much... lol

I too play godlike bots when I auto-adjust the skill and I can now hold my own in online FFA's... but I still get owned playing 1v1.

The problem with the single player ladder is that you only really play a map once... unless you lose. So basically you don't learn the map which is something that online players definately know well. Not to mention it's soo easy to setup bots for the kill once you know how they think.

If you want a challenge edit your bots. Make them jumpy and max out their traits... except for accuracy... unless you have a deathwish.

It is also very hard to find people who have equal skill to you when you first venture online. You'll find that the pubs have lots of average guys... but they are being dominated by a couple really great players who unbalance the game skill-wise. If you do manage to get online look for servers where the current players have roughly equal frags... that way the skill level should be fairly constant and would provide a better indicator of your skills.

Prophet Ali

Your lord and master!
Dec 20, 2000
San Fransisco
Visit site
Godlike

I’ve beaten the game in Godlike. But that was along time ago when I had shity connection, so all I did was play against bots. Now that I have a 3 Mbps cable line, I haven’t played against a bot for about 6 months, so I would probably loose. On the other hand, I kick ass online now.

.Prophet Ali
Superfly|PuF

ION_Ace

Assault player
Dec 26, 2000
Behind you
www.clan-ion.com
that's pretty good, although most of the better players like prolly those u meet on swine can do inhuman easily and godlike with difficulty. But some of these custom maps have bad botpaths

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
bots baby!

To get the most "human" play possible from bots, crank the accuracy down to minimum and set them to jump/agressive (with a few camper types), and then play them on Masterful at least.

They'll act more realistic than they would normally, but you'll still get the occaisional "will hit anything" spree from them.

Dec 31, 2000
Visit site
I think you can learn how to play better in three ways.

1) Go out and spectate some good players. You will be amazed what you can learn by watching someone who knows what they are doing.

2) Get a lesson. I never mind giving a lesson and I think that you will find that many players will be willing to help out. In our clan we often will have lessons, even with the very good players attending. Almost anyone can teach you some little thing.

3) I would have to disagree with worrying about seeking out players at your own level. I find that you learn more playing with good players than you will playing with average players. You will die. A lot! But you will learn. Don't get frustrated and try to figure out what you're doing wrong. If a guy frags you by doing a lift jump over your head, make a note of it, in your head, and he may not get you the next time.

I have found that players who come online for the first time and think that they are good because they can beat the bots, generally get VERY frustrated. Bots do what they're programmed to do and humans don't. I've played some very good bot killers just to have them get very frustrated.

The bottom line here is to go out and have fun. Don't worry about winning or losing. It's a game and the whole point is fun. Good luck.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
rule #1: practice

I'd definatly agree with SQ on this one. The few times I've managed to play against top players (at The Roost etc.) I've learned a ton of stuff.
I even managed to pull off a solo capture against a defence manned by top class players after watching what my team mates (and the enemy) were doing to get in and out of the base :)

Rule #1: practice
Rule #2: learn the maps
Rule #3: play against good opposition and with good team mates

INFERNO99

Feb 27, 2001
Midhurst,UK
Visit site
I always play on a godlike skill level and if there was a higher level id play that too ;) Very good practice for LAN games although bots kinda rule with the minigun, sniper and shock rifle so i wouldnt advice playing in an open level like "ctf-face" and also godlike bots can insta kill you with a flak cannon when up close so youve gotta watch out for that too :)

Best advice is to set the "auto adjust skill level" on because it automatically adjusts during the game