Assertion error!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
I am intermittently getting an "Assertion error" when playing UT online, after I die it kicks me back to the desktop. I have reinstalled the game and I am still getting the error. I am also running the 402 patch.

Morbius

So-So
Nov 30, 1999
Colorado
Visit site
This sounds like my problem...ever since installing 402, I get this error AT LEAST once during each online session. I'll be in the middle of a firefight (it never happens when I'm just walking around or by myself somewhere), and suddenly UT will quit, slowly wiping itself off the screen back to my desktop. Then an error dialog appears, with a ton of game-script type information. The first line always reads something like:

Assertion failed: [file: E:\unreal\220\Engine\UnChan.cpp] [Line:714]

I'm typing this from memory, so it's probably not exactly right, but it's close. That line's followed by lots more of the same stuff. The bitch about this is, it seems to happen 15-20 minutes into a game, after you've worked your *** off to get to the top of the score, only to have it all wiped out by this error! Nothing gets recorded in ngWorldStats for me for that game. I hate it.

If this sounds like your problem (or even if it doesn't), send an email to Epic (I think it's bugs402@epicgames.com) to let them know about it. It will probably only get fixed when they get enough complaints.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Same here. I've wondered about reinstalling to fix it, but I suspected it wouldn't fix it, as you have stated. So I won't try until such time as I hear from somebody that reinstalling does fix the problem.

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
I am getting the assertion errors before the gam even runs. The initial splash screen loads(for either safe and standard mode) and then you see the game attempting to load and then it dumps to the assertion error.

Running PII 350
192 meg ram
viper 770 (non-ultra)

4.05b patch
368 detonator drivers

I can't play this game and am extremely pissed. I needed a change from CStrike for a little bit, not to mention UT looks really cool.

-HAVOC-

Jan 16, 2000
Visit site
I followed the instructions below and the assertion errors have disapeared... Yeah Baby!

------

We are seeing reports of several different problems that appear to be due to problems reading files of the game CD.
For example:

Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: InPos>=0

There are also other examples, such as problems with running a particular map. Some people have reported problems applying the 402 patch because some file (such as botpack.u or umenu.u) is not recognized properly from their CD.

You might try the following reinstall procedure, simple as it
seems it has helped a lot of people with weird errors.

Corrupted files are sometimes installed without any error messages with some
CD-ROM drives; data is copied to your HD with read-errors, but for some
reason the CD drive doesn't warn the installer and everything appears to
have installed OK.

Copy everything from the CD to the hard drive, (running scandisk first to be
absolutely sure there's nothing wrong with the hard drive) then install from
the hard drive to the final destination folder. (you'll still need the CD in
the drive for playing.) Also, please make sure you install into a clean
(new) folder, not on top of any existing UT or UT-demo content.

If your only problem is with patching, you only need to copy the system directory from the CD. When the patch installer asks you for your CD directory, give it the directory in which the temporary system directory resides (if you copied the system directory to c:\UTtemp\system, then tell the patch installer that c:\UTtemp is your CD.