Napster and Cable Servers?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambo

Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
Hey guys...I run a server off cable..and usually with 10 players connected the average pings are around 100 to 180. Since the Warning that Napster could be shut down in a week, the Pings now average 250 -450. It has only jumped that high since this last week. Is it possible this is due to the Panic and the race to download as much music as possible before Napster is stopped?

XmorphineX

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
You might be on to something, but it probably has more to do with your local connection. My bet is that more people may be using Napster more often in your area now, and therefore your cable link is being sapped of bandwidth that's usually available to you.

Usage amount is always a potential downside to cable modems.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Its a bad idea to run a server off of cable anyway. The good pings are misleading. Cable modems have great download, but terrible upload. You need good upload for a good server. Maybe a cable server can handle a 1on1, but thats about it. With 10 people on the server, I bet the players are experiencing weird problems, despite having good pings. When I am on a cable server, everthing will seem fine, but whenever something happens, (like someone grabs my flag, or a bunch of rockets explode, or a bunch of people enter my field of view) I get weird lag. Anything that would require the server to upload a bunch of stuff to me (and to 9 other people) is gonna cause lag. If you are running this as a pub, please identify it as a cable server in its name on the server browser, so I can avoid it.

In answer to your question, I am on Cable, and my pings have been terrible everywhere since the Napster deal. It could be a coincidence, but my pings have gone from an average of 100-140 to an average of 250-350 on all my favorite servers. :(

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
naw Boom Ram runs a good server most of the time, especially when you do consider it is on cable.

I play on it a lot and I actually ping lower than him :D when both of our cable ISPs aren't fucked up I ping around 60-80 according to f1 and 120-130 or so according to f6 to his server. unfortunately, for whatever reason (napster seems to make the most sense), my cable is f0ked up as it is right now.. running alright for the first few minutes and then spiking up to 500-2000. othertimes I get a steady ping of anywhere from 400 to 600, hell once I've even seen it hold steady at around 800 :(

SilentStrike

Jun 18, 2000
Visit site
Yeah

My piings have sucked pretty hardcore for the last few days. Die napster die. Let's have it back to where the dorks got what they want off the net, and the normal people weren't taking all the damn bandwidth.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
First, because this thread is about Napster servers:

goshenized.png

And second, for the original .sig pic:

revenantized.png

That is all.

scsig52.jpg

Rambo

Jun 27, 2000
Visit site
Can you imagine?

I understand that everyone loves Napster, It is Awesome,,but Napster claims to have over 50,000,000 users.. Can you imagine the bandwith that can be taken up here? Just about everywhere I play now..the pings are higher. I just what my low ping back :)

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
I agree with Roo.

Since Napster is about to die, people are downloading billions of songs all over the place. So some people suspect all this downloading is slowing down the internet in general. Rambo isn't doing anything related to napster. He just thinks the other napster users in his area are pooping up the internet which slows down his UT server. The theory makes sense to me, but I don't know enough about the internet to verify it.

Ummm, Rambo, I just read in another thread that your server is also running ZP. You mention that in its name on the server browser, right? People should really know when they are playing on a ZP server since it really effects gameplay.

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
Ummm, Rambo, I just read in another thread that your server is also running ZP. You mention that in its name on the server browser, right? People should really know when they are playing on a ZP server since it really effects gameplay

his server name is [CSHP]zp| RAMBOS

is that not obvious enough? :)

i havnt been hit by the napster bug yet. I have RR cable and everything is the norm for me.

/me rejoices that not many ppl have RR in his area!

it is annoying tho when im playing during a busy hour. my pings stay the same but i start getting jerky lag and wierd things start happening

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
D-Stroya, naw, this is ok here I think. :) The thread was started by a UT server admin who was wondering what was causing the slowdown with his server lately. If other server admins, (or even players) are having ping problems then it is a general UT problem. If its just him, then maybe another server admin could help him out. It did get a little off track and get into the napster issue, but not too far off track.

BTW, props to Rambo for giving a damn about what is going on with his server. ;)