PDA

View Full Version : BIG problem with UT...HELP....plz...

Satan's Assasin
15th Feb 2001, 11:38 AM
I saw a post by Megaice alittle while bac.....

The problem is.....

Playin' nice game of UT over the net......
bout 1 min into it I get 1 major big connection prob....
(This can last from 1-5 mins...which is real boring especailly as I need to get through a door...)

If i change weapon... my weapon in use dissappears and the weapon i changed to dont come up...
(Some times i dont need to change gun 4 it to dissapear).....
(Still in connection prob)
While all this happens..... I dont get taunts/orders from the other team members.......
THEN boom.....all of a sudden im dead but im not dead(I bet ya confused.....(I die but when it suposed to show me dead it shows me standin up in the position i was in when i died....))
By now my mouse aint workin properly and i cant respawn......
Then 4 the finally....

I get dissconected

:redeemer:

INJEKTILO
15th Feb 2001, 08:27 PM
Thats messed up, i'll trade you for my computer freezing problem.

Satan's Assasin
16th Feb 2001, 01:20 PM
that didnt exactly help.........

......what the hell r u on about....
....what freezing problem.......
......im not exactly smart so dont do stuff like that.....
....??trade??......
god dam that was pointless.....

no offence....

can any one who knows the answer post it A.S.A.P as this guy dont know what he on about.....

here prob again.....

Playin' nice game of UT over the net......
bout 1 min into it I get 1 major big connection prob....
(This can last from 1-5 mins...which is real boring especailly as I need to get through a door...)

If i change weapon... my weapon in use dissappears and the weapon i changed to dont come up...
(Some times i dont need to change gun 4 it to dissapear).....
(Still in connection prob)
While all this happens..... I dont get taunts/orders from the other team members.......
THEN boom.....all of a sudden im dead but im not dead(I bet ya confused.....(I die but when it suposed to show me dead it shows me standin up in the position i was in when i died....))
By now my mouse aint workin properly and i cant respawn......
Then 4 the finally....

I get dissconected

Peregrine
16th Feb 2001, 04:16 PM
That happens to me quite a lot. I go to a different server
and it stops. It's all ping baby. Your connection might start out great that it craps out. Go to a different (faster) server and I'll bet it stops.

Satan's Assasin
16th Feb 2001, 04:26 PM
THAT IS POSSIBLE, but........

this can happen over a network as well......
ages ago (before the prob)
i could play at DEMON....
now the prob is here i cant play there....

mister_boffo
18th Feb 2001, 04:01 AM
You do not say whether you're using a dialup modem connection, or a "hardline" connection like DSL, cable, or a T1.

If you have JUST dialed your Internet Service Provider, then IMMEDIATELY try to join a UT server, the following is very likely to have occurred:

1. Your modem attempted to determine the highest possible connect speed based on detected line conditions.

2. As often occurs, it probably OVER-estimated line conditions, and connected at, say 41000 bps.

3. Woohoo, looky here, some static appears on the phone line, and your modem can't sustain 41000 bps with that static there.

4. So the modem momentarily halts ALL incoming/outgoing data transfer, and does what is called a "retrain" to try to find a slower, more stable connection speed. This takes about 20 seconds. Um, Bob, your ping just went completely to hell.

5. Usually just one retrain isn't enough. I've seen modems screw around for 3-10 minutes until they FINALLY settle down and find a slower but more stable connect speed. All through this your Internet connection goes for a while and then, Complete Stop. Resume. Complete Stop. Resume. Etc.

I live waaaaay out in the rural boonies. My "SupraFAXmodem 33.6" has an onscreen display telling me its actual connect speed. I know for a fact that living 8 miles from the fone company is too far for even 33.6 kbps to work well for me. The modem display has said as much.

In fact the fastest stable speed for me is really 31.2 kpbs, so I've set the modem config to never go faster than 31.2 kbps. Really, it's all for the best, because if I DO let it connect at 33.6kbps, it'll do this SAME EXACT pause, go, pause, go crap that you are experiencing.

You can track the modem's activity with the Win 95/98 "System Monitor" (you might need to install it off your Windows CD). It lurks in Start - > Program Files -> Accessories -> System Tools.

If it's the first time you've ever used it, it'll just pop up showing a chart of your computer's CPU usage. Go to the Edit menu, and choose Add Item. On the left, chose "Dial-Up Adapter". On the right, choose "Bytes Received/Second", and click OK. (You may want to also add a chart for "Bytes Transmitted/Second".)

Leave the System Monitor running in the background while playing UT. When you have network troubles, just switch to the desktop with Alt-Tab, and observe the charts in System Monitor. The default update speed is once every 3 seconds, so it'll show you network traffic on the dialup connection every 3 seconds. Very useful, to find those annoying "retrain" periods.

A typical retrain causes a total stop of network traffic, and a pause of about 5-10 seconds. You'll see this as a flatline of the charts. If the retrain takes more than 15-20 seconds, your modem is on the verge of hanging up. A retrain that takes too long means the phone line has terrible noise and static, and either your modem or the other one may simply say "heck with it, good bye!" and hang up the line on you.

Hope this wasn't too technical for you. :)

-Mr. Boffo

iridium
18th Feb 2001, 06:50 PM
ok, FAR to techy for Satans assasin, but i got to grips with it. I am afraid your post didnt help much. :( becuase for a start, I have ISDN. it is not a perm connection, but I dont live far from the exchange too.
1 thing though that makes that post not useful to me. :(
I am REALLY TRUELY SORRY (you must have spent quite some thought on it). But i know that that is not the problem for two reasons.

1) It happens on the NETWORK, so it cant be the line

2) It shares the connection with another computer: here is the setup: (PC2 is the one with the problem)
internet=PC1 == connected to PC2 & PC3
file transfers work fine @ 100mbps on all comps.
all other games work fine with low ping on all comps. (network games)
PC3 can play ut over the net fine with no problem. it can also play network games.

so basicly there are tons of other comps. using the same connection fine with no probs. it has worked before too. which is what i dont understand.

i tryed STAT NET
in the console
(which i have never done before (try it))
and it gave me a bunch of stuff.
normally the packets lost is at 0% but when the error occours it goes to 100%+ ( i dunno how but somtimes it rekons it is losing 500% of the packets sent by the server )
this happens on LAN games too. what is also weird is that somtimes this has NO effect whatsoever and everthing runs fine! and sometimes the error happens well into the game and somtimes the error happens 5 seconds into it

DAMN!

if anyone can help it would be REALLY REALLY useful

Again, i thank you mister_boffo for the attempt at helping us. it could well have been the case. but i am certain that it isnt.

:mad::mad:WELL! HELP ME!!! I AM DROWNING!!! I AM REALLY FRUSTRATED!!:mad::mad:

TIA

MegaICe