Idiotic Bots... suggestions?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Captain Gillette

Nov 11, 1999
www.mp3.com
Okay, so my CTF map is done. It plays like gangbusters for real people, but I'm trying to make the bots play it, and am having a hell of a time.

The red base is accessible via three entrances, one of which is a 1-way elevator, 1 requires a translocator, and the third requires a panel to be shot to activate the elevator. The bots have not been able to handle any of these... despite the proper placement of liftexits, liftcenters, traslocdest and starts, and pathnodes right by the triggers, the bots are not getting it.

They stand at the transloc spot and fire the disc at the wall instead of towards the dest. They run over the grate for the elevator shaft rather than pushing the button to open it first, and they refuse to recognize the trigger that starts the other elevator.

Have I created a map that is simply too complex for the AI to understand? Right now they either grab the blue flag and run aimlessly about the map until they get killed, or stand around in the red base waiting for ammo to respawn.

help me!
:8: Captain Gillette

Jenkins

America's Greatest Kitten Mitten
Apr 24, 2000
Irving, Tx, USA
jljenkins.cjb.net
Did you Paths Define?

bullet2.gif

Jenkins

Captain Gillette

Nov 11, 1999
www.mp3.com
Yep. I used the auto node placement first, then deleted ones that were unecessary, added my lift nodes and transloc nodes, and path defined. I've moved nodes around and re-defined the paths a few times, but I keep coming up empty.

The bots will stand in a room where there are nodes all around, and plenty of paths, but when I 'verbose' stat them, they say they see no destination.

The real pain though is getting them to recognize triggers and the fact that they can't get into/out of the red base without using them!

Cap'n

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
1) 1-way elevator;
I think (and I emphasize think here) setting the NavigationPoints=>bOneWayPath=True and Advanced=>bDirectional=True, do that for all the relevant PathNodes and have them face the direction they're supposed to be going.

2) Read the UT AI page at the Unreal Tech page (http://unreal.epicgames.com). If you've already read it then make sure of the following.

That the LiftExit/TranslocStart aren't too close to the TranslocDest.

Make sure they all have the same LiftTag (it's in their respective tabs not under the Events section).

3) The bots only have X amount of brains, anything overally complicated will get them in trouble. Odds are you may have to simplify the map to have it work with bots.

[This message has been edited by Wanderer (edited 03-11-2000).]

Captain Gillette

Nov 11, 1999
www.mp3.com
Yes, I was afraid you'd say that. This was my first map, and I think it's beyond simplification for bots...

I'll try to redo the translocator stuff and see if they can't get it right.. Basically there's an air vent in the floor that they need to fire the translocator up out of, so it's tough to find a good spot for the to aim to.

I'll give the 1-way points a shot and see if I can at least get them to use 1 of the three flag routes before I throw up my hands, release it as a bot-impaired map and move onto my next, better planned map.

Thanks!