Direct X8.0a problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

assasin10

Jan 16, 2001
Visit site
Help I need my unreal fix....Just installed direct x8.0a and now my unreal throws up a vxd error in asp4wave message (blue screen).Using 436 patch with win 98se ,piii 800 eb ,latest via drivers for mobo ,geforce mx,aureal 3d soundcard pci 338d.

NVerxion

Ethereal
Sep 9, 2000
Orlando, FL
Have u thought about getting Windows ME? That is what I have, along with DirectX8, and it works fine except for one small problem dealing with minimizing the window, which is easily worked around (although time consuming). No other complaints from me tho:)

Taker

UT Junkie
My problem with Dx 8 was easy to fix.I got a bad download on my first attempt.I thought it was everything from my OS to graphics card.Finally I downloaded DX 8 from another site and tried again and it worked fine.This may not be the case with yours but at the same time might be worth looking into.
:D

2u3m

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
You cant uninstall Direct X

You shouldnt have downloaded 8.0a - Its not an official Direct X update.
I wouldnt download Direct X from any site other than microsoft.
If microsoft had released 8.0a, they would have mentioned it on their site.

NVerxion

Ethereal
Sep 9, 2000
Orlando, FL
true. you should be able to get dx8 from the ms site without any problems. i guess you should just install them over top of the one you have now. i'm guessing as i have never actually done this before. i just have the dx8 that came with windows me.

{SOA}_=X=_Dra'gon

Masterful
Feb 1, 2001
CA, USA
Visit site
I just heard of a way to uninstall DirectX but forgot where I saw it at. I'll have to look into that one. The only way I know how to uninstall is to reformat your HD...but dont worry about doing that unless you have 1 full week to reinstall windows and all its drivers and programs :p

Thumperdo

Feb 11, 2001
Southeastern MO
Visit site
DirectX uninstaller

Hi, yes there is a DirectX uninstaller. Althought it is not recommended to use and is considered a last resort.
Try reinstalling DirectX8 and or uninstalling/reinstalling UT. Below is the link to the DirectX uninstaller. Be real sure you want to use it. Hope this helps.

.http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/downloads.html

P.S. you can also launch DirectX diagnostic tool in your
C:\Program Files\DIRECTX\SETUP folder to help find the problem.

assasin10

Jan 16, 2001
Visit site
SORTED

Thanks guys for your endeavors to get my unreal going again I found out what was giving me the probs.
I was getting the vxd in asp 4 message mmmmmm I though must be the damn soundcard (aureal vortex pci 338d ) got a new soundcard and hey presto !!!!! I can play the best game in the world.

fastmart

Feb 20, 2001
England
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head.

I had the same problem as yours.

This was down to the Aureal soundcard.

The drivers caused a conflict with certain games.

Anew sound card did fix the problem, but I am sure that the correct format of drivers between all hardware concerned would have rectified the problem.

Fastmart..........................

-[IMD1]-K!llRoy

I really dont look like this...
Feb 14, 2001
netherlands
Visit site
Originally posted by NVerxion
Have u thought about getting Windows ME? That is what I have, along with DirectX8, and it works fine except for one small problem dealing with minimizing the window, which is easily worked around (although time consuming). No other complaints from me tho:)

I found that if you min. the UT window and it gives an error, it is because UT is set in 32 bit color and windows is not. Set the two at the same bit and the prob is gone!! :)