"Cheats RULE, dude! Viva la speed cheat!"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Old Fart

Elder Flatus
Jan 28, 2001
New England (USA)
If you cheat (and especially if you're laughing now and rolling your eyes as you read this), ask yourself a few questions: How funny will it be when I can't find anyone to play with who doesn't use cheats? When all honest games are private and password protected, am I REALLY stupid enough to think I'll have any fun? Cheaters never develop their real skills, so what hope can I have of ever being appreciated as a decent player? Do I REALLY want to spend the rest of my time playing UT and other games as as an evil-cliché-hugging, girly, cheat-dependent loser?

The speed cheat fad's just another example of today's m0tarded un-thinking. Speaking of which, after posting a _condemnation_ of cheaters in another thread yesterday, this morning I got this via Hotmai and ICQ this morning:

"i've got all the aimbots and a user.ini that cant be battled!!!
i can send it to you if you like!!
but can you please send me speedcheat."

Like I WOULD send the speedcheat if I wanted anything to do with it...?! I'm not posting the guy's name simply because I'm thinking of reporting his ass to the llama farm (and hoping, perhaps naively, that he'll get a clue), but suffice to say he's posted elsewhere on this server under the name he used to contact me. Also, regarding "free the cheats, dude" philosophy, _you have GOT to be kidding me_. That's like saying "let's proliferate greenhouse-effect-causing pollutants so everyone can have one, then, when the planet's entirely a #*%t hole, everyone will see how wrong they were to use them." Who's the 12-year-old mouth breather that came up with this one?

This has all driven me to make a public proposal of my own: If the girly turds must have their cheat servers and spread-the-stink philosopy, then how about the rest of us start _honest_ servers? By this I'm suggesting that they be password protected and that everyone have to register via the Web site (providing the same info you do for the PUF) and provide a nick they agree to stick to when logging on. If someone tries to use the password to log on with an unregistered name, an admin or a bot automatically boots them. Maybe it could log IP's as well, so if a cheater tried stealing someone else's account, they could could be busted more easily...? Maybe PU could start the trend, then it could spread to all honest servers...?

I'm no programming guru, but I'm pretty sure this' all do-able. I also know that a LOT of you honest players/good folk have higher-than-pond-scum IQ's. Surely a few of you who feel as I do are smart enough to code something like this in your sleep...? C'mon, guys - put those Gilligan's Island TC MODs aside for a week and help us out, would ya' please? ;) I'm sorry to have come to you now asking for help rather than exclusively in gratitude, but IMHO (and that of many others, I'm sure), YOU'll always be the ones who _truly_ "own", anyway.

Gold

Harbinger of Death
Jan 11, 2001
Visit site
I think it is a cool idea but be prepared for disappointment. I also like to play half-life and really dislike the cheats I have seen on servers. When Punkbuster came out I thought it was a cool idea and was happy to see someone try to do something against cheating. Well I had a chance to try it a few weeks ago and what did I find? A bunch of empty servers. There was probably 1 half-life deathmatch running, 3 or 4 team fortress classic servers, and the rest were mostly counterstrike. All of them were relatively empty with the exception of a few counterstrike games (I wasn't trying to play late night/early morning either). Basically the amount of players and quality of games I was having was enough to make me remove Punkbuster and go back to the regular servers. I expected there to be a lot more people on anti-cheat servers than I saw. Since I always see articles on Gamespy and Planethalflife about cheating you would think you would see more people. Also since the number of Half-life players is so large (especially compared to UT and Quake 3 combined) you think the anti-cheat servers would have more customers. Sadly they didn't. I enjoyed playing without cheats for once, but with only a few servers to play on at a given time the game lost its fun. So I went back to the regular half-life servers and had fun. Of course I had to leave a few servers due to cheaters, but in the end the good servers I found provided a lot more fun than the Punkbuster servers. This leads me to believe that A) most people could care less about cheats, B) a lot of people use cheats or C) people don't like having to download and use third party software in order to play a game that doesn't require it.

I think A is the primary answer since even though half-life has and has had so many cheats, yet the number of players seems to remain high. I think I am a combination of an A and C person. I don't like cheats, but I don't play enough so that they really bother me that much. The reason I like CSHP is because I don't have to download it and run it in order to use a CSHP server. I bet if you had to do that CSHP would be in use by players a lot less.

Anti-cheat servers would be cool, but don't get your hopes up about the result. The best way I think would be something like CSHP that you download into your cache and doesn't make a person have to keep up with message boards and game sites in order to have the necessary stuff to join a clean server. I don't know the limits of something like CSHP to stop cheats that are external to CSHP. If the anti-cheaters can keep the anti-cheating tools within the game that would be the best method (assuming Epic doesn't fix anything)

Old Fart

Elder Flatus
Jan 28, 2001
New England (USA)
A Cheat-free Server...?

Hi Gold,

I appreciate the feedback from someone with the experience you have. I don't have HL, but I've read the speed cheat article and I don't doubt a word you've said.

However, what I'm proposing would _in theory_ be far less hassle for players than messing with Punkbuster: It requires no d/l's (unless you're going to run the server yourself) because rather than being a piece of software or MOD, it's primarily just a database. Players register at a Web site in much the same way that we register for nicks here at the PUF. The same kinds of info necessary to post here on the PUF could be taken down via CGI along with a nick the applicant agrees to stick to when playing on the server.

If someone tries to log on and their nick isn't in the admin's (or bouncerbot's) database, they're booted. If someone comes on a server and cheats using a registered nick, they're booted, warned, and sent a bot mail telling them they're on probation. A note is also bot-mailed to the admin and the suspected weasel's IP is crosschecked. The next time they connect, anything suspicious they do is autologged. If they cheat again (i.e. something funny's logged and 3+ witnesses testify or a demo is provided), they're banned permanently.

Is it possible that it wouldn't do any good and that most people wouldn't play on a clean UT server? I honestly don't know. I see no harm in trying, though.

Again, I'll ask: Isn't someone else out there bothered by this who has the skills necessary to code it? We're basically talking about C++ stuff, I think...? C'mon, guys - your community NEEDS you. <:)

Also, Gold - ya think I should repost this under a more prominent header (rather than the dubious one meant to sting cheaters)?

Originally posted by Gold
I think it is a cool idea but be prepared for disappointment. I also like to play half-life and really dislike the cheats I have seen on servers. When Punkbuster came out I thought it was a cool idea and was happy to see someone try to do something against cheating. Well I had a chance to try it a few weeks ago and what did I find? A bunch of empty servers. There was probably 1 half-life deathmatch running, 3 or 4 team fortress classic servers, and the rest were mostly counterstrike. All of them were relatively empty with the exception of a few counterstrike games (I wasn't trying to play late night/early morning either). Basically the amount of players and quality of games I was having was enough to make me remove Punkbuster and go back to the regular servers. I expected there to be a lot more people on anti-cheat servers than I saw. Since I always see articles on Gamespy and Planethalflife about cheating you would think you would see more people. Also since the number of Half-life players is so large (especially compared to UT and Quake 3 combined) you think the anti-cheat servers would have more customers. Sadly they didn't. I enjoyed playing without cheats for once, but with only a few servers to play on at a given time the game lost its fun. So I went back to the regular half-life servers and had fun. Of course I had to leave a few servers due to cheaters, but in the end the good servers I found provided a lot more fun than the Punkbuster servers. This leads me to believe that A) most people could care less about cheats, B) a lot of people use cheats or C) people don't like having to download and use third party software in order to play a game that doesn't require it.

I think A is the primary answer since even though half-life has and has had so many cheats, yet the number of players seems to remain high. I think I am a combination of an A and C person. I don't like cheats, but I don't play enough so that they really bother me that much. The reason I like CSHP is because I don't have to download it and run it in order to use a CSHP server. I bet if you had to do that CSHP would be in use by players a lot less.

Anti-cheat servers would be cool, but don't get your hopes up about the result. The best way I think would be something like CSHP that you download into your cache and doesn't make a person have to keep up with message boards and game sites in order to have the necessary stuff to join a clean server. I don't know the limits of something like CSHP to stop cheats that are external to CSHP. If the anti-cheaters can keep the anti-cheating tools within the game that would be the best method (assuming Epic doesn't fix anything)

Kamicosmos

MP5SD Slinger of Justice!
Jan 23, 2001
Kansas City Missouri
Visit site
Exactly why I run a priate server

The whole cheating/llama phenomenon is exactly why I have been running a private password protected server for me and my friends since UT came out! I have a group of about 12 friends, and we have some good matches. Not as much anymore, some of them aren't into UT as much now, and I have been venturing out to the public servers, but only the CSHP ones. Anyways, I myself am looking for a set of good honest (possibly private) servers to hang out in, cause I want to play against different people.

Death to the Llamas!
Kamicosmos

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Like I WOULD send the speedcheat if I wanted anything to do with it...?! I'm not posting the guy's name simply because I'm thinking of reporting his ass to the llama farm
Post it on the Llama Farm Forums or you can email me the evidence @ kamikaze9@planetunreal.com

Please be sure to include the complete E-Mail, as well as a copy of the email properties so I can verify the email (In Outlook Express, right-click on the offending email, click 'Properties' and go to the 'Details' tab. Just copy that stuff and send it along. Thanks!

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
I'd support your idea, Old Fart. but maybe because I'm an old fart, too;). I was gonna type up a post something like yours the other day, but thought, "What's the use!"
However, on my dial up connection from home, the number of good servers I see is quite limited, and it would be my luck that those servers would not be ones to participate in the program.

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
'lo, old fart and co...

what you are talking about is certainly possible. as it is there are several websites with players posting away like MyU where they regularly play together on passworded servers and someone cheat free usually has admin capabilities to kick offensive players of several varieties.

however as soon as you restrict access to a server you guarantee that it's going to be empty a large percentage of the time. That may or may not be an issue for you depending on when you play I suppose. When it comes down to it, you don't need to restrict access to be assured of a clean game, you just need a server in which a clean admin is running it and present. they can log in and ban anyone who is cheating.

{950}Slayer|PuF

Master of the Paddle
Jul 23, 2000
Madison Wisconsin
Visit site
Even with Wes650 being passworded..there is more than enough players to play on it!! Plus the password is public knowledge and easy to find!! My sig has the key!! :D

At 950 we have enough admins to keep the llamas at bay. If a admin is not in game..we can be found in IRC or ICQ.

But I do like OF's idea. You have to register you nick ahead of time so it is tied to your IP. That will keep alias as someone else to a minimum!!

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Originally posted by Old Fart
Do I REALLY want to spend the rest of my time playing UT and other games as as an evil-cliché-hugging, *GIRLY*, cheat-dependent loser?

hey! i resemble that remark...
...well part of it anyways :p

agreed mostly - but hey cheaters prob never got past the eyes rollin part of your post...
but we can always hope! :>

Old Fart

Elder Flatus
Jan 28, 2001
New England (USA)
Whoops... :B

My apologies, NYGrrrl, and anyone else who only partially meets those criteria. No offense was intended, save to cheaters (who can LUMP IT, heh heh).

Originally posted by NYGrrrl

hey! i resemble that remark...
...well part of it anyways :p

agreed mostly - but hey cheaters prob never got past the eyes rollin part of your post...
but we can always hope! :>

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
My first online game was Diablo. Cheating was ridiculous in that game. I joined a clan where we passworded games and played honestly. It worked.

There's enough people here in planetunreal, just as in myunreal, that a pickup game could be had at any time.

If cheating gets out of hand to the extent that I see it on a nightly basis, I'll stick to passworded servers just like I did in Diablo. There's enough people who do not like cheating that I believe there'll be good gaming to be had.

*hehe Old Fart-Lump it*