PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Glass

Santini
6th Feb 2001, 04:55 PM
I can make glass that explodes when I shoot it, or I can make glass that I can see through; but, I canít seem to make glass that can see through and shoot. What is the trick to making the texture on the exploding glass see through, is there a masked texture that I should be using. Please help, my first level is almost done and this is the one thing that I canít seem to get on my own.
Thanks
Santini

Fuzzpilz
6th Feb 2001, 05:09 PM
Where's the problem? Use a mover for the glass. I think it's best to use a translucent 2-sided sheet with a glass texture for looks and an invisible cube for collision. Intersect that and add it as a mover. Then do the triggering and exploding stuff you already know.

TaoPaiPai
7th Feb 2001, 04:31 AM
I don't understand where's your problem...
The breaking glass is an actor not a surface.
Just make a translucent mover as a glass and make it move when you shoot at it.Then make it trigger the exploding glass actor when moving.(Make it move to a place where you can't see it with a movetime of 0 ,this way you'll have the impression that it disappears and you'll have the glass fragments of the exploding glass).

Santini
7th Feb 2001, 02:01 PM
I have been making my glass by using a thin cube brush, placing a glass texture on it, selecting the texture and making it transparent. When I make my exploding glass I do the same thing only I when I put the brush in place I press the add mover button. The problem is that when I play the map the glass works but it is no longer transparent. The question, how can I make the texture on my mover transparent.
Thanks Again
By the way Fuzzpilz Ė that is an impressively revolting shade of green

ChrisToth.hu
7th Feb 2001, 03:33 PM
For 432+:
-Select the mover
-Right click-Movers-Show polys
-Set the sides to transparent as you would do it to a normal brush
-Rebuild

432-:
-Don't simply add a mover...
-Add the glass as a normal solid brush to a remote open area of your map. (I usually have a separate room for these purposes)
-Surround it with the cube builder so the red lines are around the glass but doesn't touch anything.
-Hit intersect
-Add it as a mover to the correct place.

Fuzzpilz
7th Feb 2001, 04:15 PM
Er... I think Chris, TaoPaiPai and myself have all said approximately the same thing in different words.

ChrisToth.hu
7th Feb 2001, 04:20 PM
Not really..because I explained the process of adding a mover :D