My First Map...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Did I scare you?
Good.

I've got some questions... first I keep hearing about BSP errors but I have no idea what they look like... where can I find a good example of one?

I've started my first DM map. Slapped some blocks onto the screen added some bots and items/weapons.. and let the bots play for a bit. I coaxed the bots away from the shieldbelt area but they refuse to touch my thighpads... which I've placed on a ledge accessible with the jumpboots(which I placed in the room so that you could do that).

I boosted the desireability of the pads to 5 I've got apples climbing the wall towards the pads... and I they still aren't interested.

The only other way to reach the pads is to enter from the next room(the bots love going this route to get the sniper rifle but they rarely go through the opening to get to the other room and the pads without jumping.)

The only thing I can think of is that as they approach the pads they can see other bots in the next room and get distracted... although even a single bot doesn't seem to interested so I figure I didn't setup the path to jump there properly.

Also is there an easy way to tell what texture files I've used and what would be needed to ship with the map?
I've used the new textures that came with bonus pack 4 so should I include them or assume people have it?

If I setup my map to run on my server do I need to do anything special before people can use it? I haven't named it or setup any of those details yet(haven't decided on a theme yet).

It's got a warehouse feel with lots of open space and two levels to fight over(the top being the most desired) There's currently 5 areas connected together with no true deadends and I'm about to add another area that's not as open that won't be as shock/rocket friendly as my main area.

My favorite part of the map is the sniper area that overlooks two rooms but is vunerable to the rockets and shock nearby... and that's why I put the pads there... to get the bots to use both sides of my sniper perch.

I started by setting up the basic rooms and I'm now going back and adding objects to the bare rooms and will likely break some of the larger rooms up to add more z-axis fighting.

I started this on Saturday and so far 4-6 bots seem to be a good number but with the open space it could go higher I think once the last set of rooms is added to pull the focus away from my main area a bit.

Hetemti

Bargain Brand Being
Oct 7, 2000
Visit site
"I boosted the desireability of the pads to 5 I've got apples climbing the wall towards the pads... and I they still aren't interested."
Bots can't climb, and they don't like dem apples. You have to use a navigation point pair that has a inital and destination point to get them to jump.

"The only other way to reach the pads is to enter from the next room(the bots love going this route to get the sniper rifle but they rarely go through the opening to get to the other room and the pads without jumping.)"
The hallway may be too small. Right click on the title of the overhead view window and select "Show paths" Blue lines are good, red lines are ok, no lines means you'll play hell getting a bot to go that way.

"Also is there an easy way to tell what texture files I've used and what would be needed to ship with the map?
I've used the new textures that came with bonus pack 4 so should I include them or assume people have it?"
Put custom textures in your MyLevel section. Credit people you rip textures from. Remark in your readme that it needs BonusIV and post a reliable link to it.

"If I setup my map to run on my server do I need to do anything special before people can use it? I haven't named it or setup any of those details yet(haven't decided on a theme yet)."
Players will have to download the map (and the texture files, if applicable) before they can play.

"It's got a warehouse feel with lots of open space and two levels to fight over(the top being the most desired) There's currently 5 areas connected together with no true deadends and I'm about to add another area that's not as open that won't be as shock/rocket friendly as my main area."
Okey-dokey.

"My favorite part of the map is the sniper area that overlooks two rooms but is vunerable to the rockets and shock nearby... and that's why I put the pads there... to get the bots to use both sides of my sniper perch."
A sniper/ambush nav.point would work too. Pad's ain't worth being sniper/shock/rocket bait.

"I started by setting up the basic rooms and I'm now going back and adding objects to the bare rooms and will likely break some of the larger rooms up to add more z-axis fighting."
Groovy.

"I started this on Saturday and so far 4-6 bots seem to be a good number but with the open space it could go higher I think once the last set of rooms is added to pull the focus away from my main area a bit."
Try to have no main area, it makes one area a meelee that players can't spawn in, since they get fragged a second later, and the rest of the level is just boring pickups. Look at Tempest and Turbine. They are set up so that while there are busy areas, any area can be a total warzone should three rocket launchers inter the room at the same time. My level (soon to be reased, hopefully) has a large area, a tight area, two z-axis areas, and two hazard areas. This keeps it from being redundant as well as more ballanced.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I didn't get much of a chance to work on my map lastnight but I did look at the botpathing... and in some areas I've only got a red line and they definately don't like going through my little passage(which I made small so that you could get it's dangerous to go through there). Other than that I had gone a little overboard on the pathnodes... LOL

I haven't figured out how to get the bots to jump yet so I'm going tutorial hunting... expecially since I"m looking for a trigger/trap setup for a garbage bin I made.

I still haven't put in the last group of rooms since I'm focusing on filling up my current ones(one room will have a control room similar to the trap in pressure(although no trap). Another room will have steel girders(in the ceiling) to run around on and I may place a redeemer there.

I don't plan on showing off my map anytime soon though. I think it looks too newbish still... LOL