I'm crazy, I want a higher ping!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BigNasty

May 3, 2000
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
Visit site
On my own server, that is. It's in my basement along with my gaming PC, so naturally I run at a low ping, from 9 to 30 mSec. Of course, all other players coming in from the net are pinging form 40 to 350 mSec. My regulars are aware of the situation, and don't mind. But I am often accused of cheating/llamaness/gay/whatever by starngers, so I need a way to make my ping higher and shut them up when I still wipe the floor with their miserable whiny faces. I have heard of a modem equalising mod, will that work just for me or will it slow everyone else down as well?
I await your educated and knowledgable replies, PUF'rs.

BigNasty

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
I know there is a simulate lag option or something like that in the advanced options or ini files I don't know if it works online tho. Hey aslong as you aren't logged in as admin who gives a damn:D Just tell em you're on a t3:p

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Hey Big!

There's one easy way to do it... change your admin name so they won't identify you with your server.

Other than that if they don't like it they can go elsewhere. Just means I can come play more often... LOL

cryco

Quasi-Genius
Nov 23, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Well, there's another really indirect way: If you can get someone you know to set up a virtual private network, connect to his/her network and reconnect to your server through his internet connection.
That should add a few ms to your ping... :)

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
It's one of the privileges you have when you have your server on your LAN. You have the lowest ping.
I am in the same situation, and if someone accuses me of 'cheating' I tell it's a LAN, if they continue accusing I kick. The only drawback is that I am a good enough player to end up high on my server, so I turned off stats for myself. And there are always these Godlike people who kick your ass regardless of ping :).

Baracuda

Jan 5, 2001
Here ya go(Script)

I play on my own server also and this is what I got from the good 'ol server admin guys over on their forum.

Create a NEW shortcut to boot up UT and add this to the Target line.

C:\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe unrealtournement.ini pktlag=35

You'll get a couple of stupid lines as UT boots up, but ignore them(Or you could play around with the script to get rid of them, I just ignor them).

The 35 is the amount of lag you want to add to your ping. With 35 I get around a 65-75 ping. You can change it as you see fit.

Baracuda
AKA- Animal

Oh yea... Dont forget, If you goto play on a different server, to exit UT and use your NORMAL UT shortcut. Otherwise you'll be adding 35ms(or whatever you choose) to your already NORMAL ping.

BigNasty

May 3, 2000
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
Visit site
Hey, now I can whine too!

Thanks Baracuda!

I added 35 to the startup line as you suggested, works great....

I offer this server (P3/733/512Mb) to the public like a lot of other people because I love this game. I use redirect to download compressed maps from my web site so it doesn't slow down the server. All this stuff costs money, but I can afford it. Some people just don't understand and get bent out of shape because I have a better ping. Well I ain't too young, so I need to have some kind of technological advantage to level the playing field against these young whipper snappers with lightning fast reaction times. However, now I can shut them up with a ping equalizer and they can ph34r my mad skillz (or whatever that is).

Thank you all for your views on the subject!

BigNasty

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
What really sucks about this is that you guys(server admins) put in time and effort to put up a server and keep it running smoothly. You're doing people a favour and all they can do is bitch about how your ping is too low and that it's gay.

garrett

dreaming lucidly
Aug 23, 2000
if you are still in need of 'raising' your ping, you can always borrow my modem and connection :)