Which is better - Ripper or PulseGun ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better ?

• The Ripper

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • The PulseGun

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
This thread got me thinking, which is better, the Ripper or the Plasma Gun ?

Things I take in account:
Ripper:
pro: Fires around corners / splashdamage / headshots / RL substitute.
con: Suicides.
PulseGun:
pro: A hitscan (shortrange) / non-hitscan weapon. No suicides.
con: ?

Both weapons have about the same punch in either mode (taken from Cleaner's faq).

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
i think i prefer the ripper over the pulse. it's alt-fire can be very powerful when used correctly. you can lob an enemy flag carrier off a ledge, or push him against a wall and watch him eat his own rockets (hell happens to me all the time :)).

also, with the ripper you can stay at a distance and fire long ranged blades, wheras with the pulse you have to be relatively close. ok, you can't suicide with the pulse, but other than that i don't see any real advantages over the ripper.

oh yeah, with a ripper you can get head shots too (if you're lucky).

[UJE]Crakdeala

doGlike
Sep 14, 2000
Alcatraz
oblivion.jamempire.com
There is no good way to answer your question SU since both weapons are called for in different situations. Keeping in mind I am a 1v1 and LMS player mostly:

Ripper: primary fire, very effective when you're playing opponent(s) a little over your head and need to keep a low profile. Great for retreat while shooting the discs around the corner and/or flooding hallways from a large distance if you see a battle going on there. Secondary fire, i dont use it very much but its pretty good when you're out of rockets

Pulse: primary fire is shit, but secondary is a great substitute for the mini, especially in low grav maps like Morpheus.

PsychoPhant

sycophantic toady-boy
Jun 23, 2000
On my knees behind you
Visit site
If there's ledges to be had, the ripper secondary to knock people off.

The pulse can be used like a mini-gun, and as stated is good as a lpb's weapon.

It depends on the ping and the situation.

Which is better? Couldn't say. They're both pretty low on my list unless I've got an amp, in which case the pulse by far.

ION_Ace

Assault player
Dec 26, 2000
Behind you
www.clan-ion.com
pulse used to be below hammer in my best weapon list, ripper is good once u get the hang of it especially the secondary fire for boosting teammates and knocking enemys into walls and off ledges

Big giB

Keep out of reach of children.
Jul 28, 2000
BC, Canada
Visit site
Thing I like about UT...no weapon is better. Pulse gun is THE best medium to close range weapon, but you sure as hell can't get dudes around corners or shove other dudes off cliffs. It all depends on the situation. If you're standing around a corner and a dudes behind it, fire and you should kill him. However, if you're in a close quarters hallway like the ones in CTF-Dreary, Pulse will melt their balls together.

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Depend on the situation, but i like them both.
And the Pri-Pulse rocks on shortrange, and the sec. fire is great for mid-range.
But then the ripper is also cool with small long hallways, and sec is great to knock people back.

But the ripper needs some pratice before used right, and imo the pusle is easier to use

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
I voted pulse because for some reason people seem to lose all talent when they're in the path of the pulse secondary. I know I do :)

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
I am tending towards the pulse at the moment. I agree both have widely different uses, there are situations a ripper is a lot better than the pulse, but the pulse is more of an allround weapon, and it has this paralyzing effect, I think.

SilentStrike

Jun 18, 2000
Visit site
Heh

I just checked my NgStats. My ripper effiency is 70% and my pulse effiency is 69%. However, I had 3x as many frags with the pulse. Myself being a LPB, I'd have to say I prefer the pulse.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
The Ripper is a great weapon if your good at dodging your own discs... which means once you learn that you'll be headshotting goes like crazy with it. It's also great when someone's cornered themselves and you can't hit them with a shock combo...

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
for me a tougher choice would be between the ripper and the booger gun.

pulse is among my favorite medium-close range weapons because if you got them with your beam, bring out the steak sauce cause its barbecue time baby.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
ripper

im a sniper, when im outta ammo i take joy in slicing peoples heads off with a razor blade....
:DHEAD SHOT:D
dont diss the booger gun (ges biorifle)
that thing's secondary attack can kill poeople like a flak cannon second, and if you miss you still do damage, + you can cut of enemy advance so you can go heal
BOOGER GUN RULZ

Aug 7, 2000
I like the pulse gun, if someone uses it against me while I'm shock-ho'ing I'm usually helpless (Yes,you can fire some secondary shocks but a good player will evade it)...

But I like the ripper even better,I only use the secondary fire. It's great to jump around a fire some secondary disks at their feet.....works great at ppl using a RL....the disk sends them flying,they try to re- aim...usually leading to a suicide....

-Revenant

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Like many said before: Two weapons; 4 firing modes with completely different purpose. To compare them is kinda pointless.

Riper primary: Stupid spam weapon. I rarely use it; only to spam long hallways.

Riper secondary: Nice when out of rockets and to bounce opponents around.

Pulse primary: This must be the most useless weapon in UT. The Damage needs to be at least doubled to make it a decent weapon.

Pulse secondary: Nice when out of ammo for the minigun.

Big giB

Keep out of reach of children.
Jul 28, 2000
BC, Canada
Visit site
Yeah, the primary Pulse is pretty hard to hit anything with, except up close. Maybe increasing the splash damage can do the trick. As for RIpper primary, yeah, it's a spam tool. Maybe the firing rate and the bouncy factor should be reduced while increasing it's damage or something. Also, switch the firing rates of the 2 modes of the Flak Cannon around, like it was in Unreal. (E.g. Secondary was firing as fast as the current secondary, while the secondary fired as fast as the current primary)Personally, I don't give a damn about flak spamming, but this outta shut up those bitchy bitchers.