Lizard Of Oz
31st Jan 2001, 09:44 PM
You forgot "Return To Castle Wolfenstien."

Iboc-C64
31st Jan 2001, 11:04 PM
Just a warning this can lead to BIG arguments, oh and Halo too. :D

slarioux
1st Feb 2001, 03:20 AM
I dont know, it could be all three really.... Doom is legendary, so I think it makes a very good chance.

HL is very popular, even today, so with a new and good engine they could win too.

Unreal II is probably the best. The q3 engine rules over Unreal ones at some points (admit it ;)), but it wont be used for HL2 or Doom3.

Other games, like RTCW and Halo, cant be count, because they aren't using their own engines, (RTCW is q3, i believe Halo does too).

Well, lets start some discussions!

PS. Does Unreal Warfare use the same engine as Unreal II?

Uncle Leo
1st Feb 2001, 04:01 AM
Warfare will use the same engine as U2.
But... U2 will be coming out well before UW, so expect UW to have a few more improvements.
Also, the Legend crew have their own quite good programmers. Epic is just supplying the base engine, and the Legend guys are tweaking it to suit themselves.

Doom vs HL vs Unreal.
*Shrug* I think you have there 3 big Fan groups. Alot of us have chosen which camp we are in, and will probably just pick up the next game that comes along in our chosen Religion.

I dont hate Valve or id, but I'm an Epic fanboy. I'm comfortable with the "Unreal" way of doing things.

theindianfakir
1st Feb 2001, 05:07 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by slarioux
[B]I dont know, it could be all three really.... Doom is legendary, so I think it makes a very good chance.

HL is very popular, even today, so with a new and good engine they could win too.

Unreal II is probably the best. The q3 engine rules over Unreal ones at some points (admit it ;)), but it wont be used for HL2 or Doom3.

Other games, like RTCW and Halo, cant be count, because they aren't using their own engines, (RTCW is q3, i believe Halo does too).

Well, lets start some discussions!

PS. Does Unreal Warfare use the same engine as Unreal II?

Hey who ever said that Halo uses the q3 engine. In fact the lead programmer for Bungie Jason Jones has been quoted so many times in CGW as saying that they almost always throw away their code and start from scratch when doing a new game. so there you have it folks an all new halo engine. and anyways from the look of the demo movies from http://halo.bungie.com i dont think the Unreal engine or the q3 engine can come even close.

Long Live Halo........ uhhhhhhhh never mind :)

PS: Dont you guys ever read CGW :(.

slarioux
1st Feb 2001, 05:37 AM
As i said, i wasn't sure :confused:. When is it coming?

No, we never read CGW :)

Yes, you are right, everyone will share behind their game ;)

Leech
1st Feb 2001, 07:11 AM
*Ahem*
Halo 0\/\/ /\/ $ J00!!

err....sorry...had to be "l33ted" for people to totally grasp the fact that Halo DOES use it's own engine which is more powerfull than you can possibly imagine. (He's quoting star wars now? wtf??) Needless to say, Halo will dominate everything in it's path.
I personally garentee it.
However, I'm gonna play the living crap outta U2, you better belive it.
;)

slarioux
1st Feb 2001, 09:35 AM
Ok, the message is arrived :)... Just i dont follow the Halo progress, so i didn't knew what to think from it.

Then Halo would make a good chance too :cool:

Originally posted by Leech
*Ahem*
Halo 0\/\/ /\/ $ J00!!

err....sorry...had to be "l33ted" for people to totally grasp the fact that Halo DOES use it's own engine which is more powerfull than you can possibly imagine. (He's quoting star wars now? wtf??) Needless to say, Halo will dominate everything in it's path.
I personally garentee it.
However, I'm gonna play the living crap outta U2, you better belive it.
;)

odie
1st Feb 2001, 11:39 AM
I just wanted to take this moment to share an idea with you that gives me great feelings. What we are seeing right now in the gaming world is the start of a vast and incredible thing. Slowly, those that are at the helm of this new 3D technology are ( maybe unknowingly) paving the way for an awesome future in the realm of virtual reality. Bit by bit, today's top gaming companies (Epic, id, valve,bungie,etc) are solving the problems of terrain, modelling, lighting, etc. Soon - maybe within the next 5 to 10 years - 3D engines will converge into one universally compatible "thing" .... like an operating system. Epic is solving problems of frame rate vs actor polygon count .... Valve, Legend, and G.O.D. are all leaders in engine-based cinematics ... id Software (at least by the sounds of this NEW DOOM) may solve the problems of dynamic geometry and destroyable architecture ... Bungie seems to have truly covered the whole vehicle thing .... WOW ! My personal vision is that in the future, there will be "The Engine", where game companies no longer have to toil with problems of frame rate, net speed, etc. Once all of the perfect solutions have been gathered together into one product, gaming of the future will be in the form of content-only packaging. Isn't it the greatest thing to know that other people in this world are hard at work to make sure that you and me can have the most realistic fragging experience possible !!! Three cheers for game programmers in general ----- hip hip hooray !!!!

Hellscrag
1st Feb 2001, 02:17 PM
No way. Engine development if half of what makes a game company competitive. They will always seek to have the better engine than the other. Which, I think, is a good thing.

hal
1st Feb 2001, 08:22 PM
Throwing Halo into the mix takes away from what I think terranova was getting at. All three of those games (U2, D]|[ and HL2) are aiming for the best singleplayer game. That's where each game's heritage is.

No doubt they'll all get played online like crazy. But there is a tremendous investment in the SP portion.

I'll probably play U2 the most, but I can guarantee I'll be playing Doom ]|[ a lot too. HL just doesn't do it for me. I'm not real big on realistic weapons.

LordKhaine
2nd Feb 2001, 03:56 AM
The Halo engine is the best engine Ive seen so far. The U2 one was good as well tho.

hal
2nd Feb 2001, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah! No doubt about it. Halo looks spectacular. I'd just stick it in a class with Tribes and what Uwarfare looks like it may be.

KennyLives
2nd Feb 2001, 02:38 PM
I've been following the development of all these engines just like everyone here (when they release a lil news about them) but, does anyone know what Max Payne will be built on... ? I have to say, Max Payne was the only thing I've seen to rival Halo and I'm lovin Halo.

I'm still not givin up UT2 though... I want to do a couple spinning kicks and then frag some ppl...
I still get teary eyed watching the demo. *sniff* sniff*

Vortex
2nd Feb 2001, 05:34 PM
Argh. This is a hard one. Gotta go for U2 as that's the only one I've actaully seen proof of yet.

Squeak grenades are sooooooooo realistic!

Likwid_Nitrogen
2nd Feb 2001, 09:11 PM
I will be thoroughly enjoying all of the games, and don't forget Team Fortress 2!

what a line-up

Halo
Max Payne
TF2
U2
DoomIII
Duke Nukem Forever (that will be good too)
RTCW
Half Life II

i bet the only one that will sell good is Half Life II, and maybe DoomIII. Good games always sell worse than crap games (like Millionaire or something).

ATR-SUNRISE
3rd Feb 2001, 12:19 AM
Halo's engine is impressive but when you look at the type of game it is I can tell you already that it won't compare to U2. The preliminary videos show a military type style on a "halo" world. Right there they have already limited themselves to that genre. I am not saying this was unintentional, nevertheless though it still limits them. U2 on the other hand (if it's anything like unreal) uses a much broader scope of ideas (it's simly more imaginitive). By not setting your self in a single genre you leave yourself open to a much broader customer base. I do believe halo is a good game and will have a community I just do not see as much potential for the title as I do U2.
As for the others; Doom 3 won't pose much of a threat as again that title doesn't hold much potential (you play it through, you meet your buddies on the net a few times and it's over :( ). Epic was smart in releasing info about uwar because now people will play u2 to get good at it and when uwars comes out they will have a feel for the game play. Titles like Halo are missing that.
So in conclusion these are my picks: Unreal2 in first place and Halo in second.

Uncle Leo
3rd Feb 2001, 12:34 AM
I think Halo is a different style of game than U2.

U2 will be a story. It'll compete with the likes of Half Life and Duke 4.
Halo is a wargame. It'll compete with UT, Quake 3, Tribes 2, TF2, and probably Unreal Warfare (if guesses on what it is are on the right track).

Different animals.

Vortex
4th Feb 2001, 10:43 AM
Hmm, I'd say that Doom 3 will have more in common with U2 than it will with Halo. After all, U2 and Doom 3 are both FPS's, right? After all, what will you be doing with U2. You play it through and you meet your buddies on the net a "few" times. Well, perhaps more than a few. Anyway there's always the community that will make all those extra mods and maps. So, Halo is something different altogether, while Doom 3 should go along with U2, Half-Life 2 and the like. Of course, it also depends if anyone is still interested in playing a Doom game. I can name one person who isn't...

ATR-SUNRISE
4th Feb 2001, 03:10 PM
Agreed. If ID takes any more kicks at the sequel can its going to burst (this is going to be the 5 doom?) It's time to get some new ideas!

terrannova
4th Feb 2001, 07:42 PM
Unreal II will be UNREAL!!!

'nuff said,

Terrannova

Orkin Man
7th Feb 2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ATR-SUNRISE
Doom 3 won't pose much of a threat as again that title doesn't hold much potential (you play it through, you meet your buddies on the net a few times and it's over :( ).

Do you honestly think that the people behind Doom3 are gonna leave us with something like that? True, the old Doom's were like that, and true they were quite boring after playing through them once, but you can't expect id, the people behind Quake to screw up an online game, after all they were the ones that revolutionized it. When id went from Doom to Quake online play only got better, and has with every Quake then after IMO. Why would id take a step back and produce something not worth playing online, it's almost a necessity nowadays. I know I'll be playing a whole hell of a lot of Doom3, if you choose to miss out so be it, but don't assume they're gonna screw something up that they have so much experience in.

Fuzzpilz
9th Feb 2001, 05:16 AM
I have no clue at all what Doom 3 is going to look like. There haven't even been any engine preview screenshots or anything, so it's quite impossible to say anything about what it'll be like. If it's really good, I hope id will finally come up with an editor that works at least half as well as UnrealEd does. I mean, all editors for the Quake 2/3 engines were/are impossible. Look at Worldcraft. You sometimes have to spend days while it's compiling, while UnrealEd never goes above two hours even if you have a really old machine. Look at Radiant. It's a bit better, but it's simply not logical. Quake 3, for example, has very little variety, but the levels do look good (although they quickly get old, like UT would if there were only Deck16 and Face clones), and I really have to appreciate the amount of work that has gone into doing these levels with this pile of uselessness.

NeoNite
11th Feb 2001, 12:26 PM
Damn difficult to predict which one will be the best game..
I've read about all games, and here's my opinion;

Unreal II: looks to be great!

LIke the new models and environments and the fact that unreal II will work with opengl instead of direct3D. Very good move.
Love the new aspect of facial animation. Very pleased to see a feature like that implemented.
New unreal II test levels (saw a couple of screenshots in an article) appear to be even bigger than unreals' massive levels (sunspire, spirevillage, bluff eversmoking etc etc etc) and afcourse ut's huge levels.
ONe thing i like about unreal series, the big open levels. Quake is cool ok, but the levels are most of the time, well.. claustrophobic.
Unreal tends to follow the doom trend(ho boy) and i like it.
Unreal is also very mystique, well.. people that worked on the unreal series prove to be very imaginative. LIke that. Think that unreal II will also be very.. impressive. Music sure as hell won't fail. :) unreal and UT series rules! (at the moment i'm listening to Hub5 from unreal. Wargate is pretty good too.)

Doom 3:
I don't know. This is gonna be one though puppy to judge. Original Doom was sorry IS great, 'cause of the unique fast paced gameplay and the zillion monsters at one time (hell revealed: + 6.000 monsters in 32 levels. You gotta like that)
Ok the new DOOM should be a new generation style of game, but i'd hate to see it turn out to be a half life game you know?
DOOM III has to be fresh, new but also it needs to harbor the feeling of the old doom; many monsters, great weapon balance, and fast gameplay. And please, no "bot like monsters from hell". Imagine that? a cyberdemon strafing around ya?
I can't wait until ID will release the DOOM test, this year don't know when. It will reveal much. Wether that's a good or bad thing, well.. we'll see. They'd better work their ****ing butts off!

Half life II. I hope dm will be better. Half life dm is slow. Tried everything. Dm is slow. I get bored after 5 minutes.
Should it envolve gordon freeman once more? Don't think so. Again, instead of a sequel, something refreshing and original would be great. :) (one thing i really missed in half life was the lack of women. Only one model in standard hl.. the "sniper babe".. hm..:I

Return to wolfenstein: !!!!!!! i can't wait to see that one. Played this puppy back in 1993. I remember walking through those linear, horizontal levels, shooting dozens of stupid nazis fullbright levels, loved the "sprites" used.
Read many articles about RTCW. Looks great. How many pictures did they take with a digital camera? Forgot the number. Just look at the models and textures and features. This one is a winner!

But i guess somehow they all are.

I'm sure Unreal II and RTCW won't fail. Not to sure about DOOM III. Have to wait and see (and hope). Hl II don't know. Fans will like it.

Matthias Worch
11th Feb 2001, 02:03 PM
Dunno where you got your information from, but Unreal 2 on the PC will be focused on D3D :) But quite frankly you shouldn't be concerned with the API that the engine is going to use, U2 will run on the widest range of machines/cards available at the fastest possible speed - that's all that counts, isn't it :)
So far no Unreal 2 levels/models etc. have been revealed to the public, that includes screenshots of "test levels". All screenshots that HAVE been shown were from demo levels specifically made to show off new engine features - they don't represent Unreal 2 or any other game.

NeoNite
11th Feb 2001, 06:34 PM
Maybe i did? i read this big article about unreal II, and yes i should have been more specific, i know those where test levels to show off the capabilities of the engine, and screenshots off so called levels and models (i've seen this guy with red-brown hair, 5000 poly count model) are from the "test" no demo available. I know, should've mentioned it.
BUt i'm sure unreal II will be an openglide based game, i'm really sure ! :I hm

oh yes, are you really the matthias worch from "Beyond Belief" for quake? really liked that episode for quake. Great work! Making chton vulnerable was also a very good move. :-)But it has been a long time. You still play quake often?

Morph1ne.MX
12th Feb 2001, 03:18 AM
BUt i'm sure unreal II will be an openglide based game, i'm really sure ! :I hm

Sorry to dissapoint you.

First there is nothing called OpenGlide. Second, Glide is dead. You heard of the death of 3Dfx, didn't you?

And third and more important, Tim Sweeney has specifically said that they are focusing now on DirectX 8 and are making full use of NVidia T&L capabilities. While i believe there will be some sort of experimental OpenGL support, the main API will be DirectX 8.

NeoNite
12th Feb 2001, 01:05 PM
Geez i hate it when they quote you on what you said :)

Ok, silly me, i 've reread the article and yes in my excitement i uhm... didn't remember it correcty yes indeed directx 8.0 and T&L capabilities off the geforce type of card.
ANd yes, i do know of the departure of 3DFX, Nvidia is the uhm.. ruler for now.
Humble apologies, there's nothing in your post that i didn't know off. I just uhm.. i'm mixed up ok? :)
i can't help it. I shouldn't be so impulsive sometimes.
glide still excists? or am i wrong again???

I'm honest here. I just forgot. tsjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj shame on me.

Fuzzpilz
13th Feb 2001, 11:46 AM
Glide still exists. But there will be no more versions of it, and no new cards that support it.

WiLD2
13th Feb 2001, 04:38 PM
Unreal 2 vs. DooM III vs. Half-Life II

Well, I started way back in the Doom days, and played the game without a keyboard/mouse combo (it was strictly keyboard for me ;) ), then DooM ]|[ is definately a contender. I think I'll play that over Unreal 2. So it goes like this->

DooM ]|[
Unreal 2
Half-Life ][ then...
Deus Ex 2 (HOW COULD YOU FORGET ABOUT THAT?)

Also, how can you even put a Team Fortress game in with the likes of these? That is a totally different game-type, and a MOD to boot. Massively Multiplayer FPS games belong in this category more than TF2 does.

[OF]AbsolUT
8th Mar 2001, 04:30 AM
Of coarse Unreal 2. But it's still a long way until completion. Second, I have to say Doom 3. Third, Halo. We can't forget UT2. I forget what there naming it.

Zazicle
8th Mar 2001, 11:19 AM
Half-Life 2 will be the best of the three main ones (U2, D3, HL2.). Half-Life was easily the best single-player game since Ultima Underworld (1 and 2) and the original System Shock. Unreal1 was good, but not nearly as good as HL2 and I believe the sequels will follow the same pattern. Regarding D3, I don't think it'll be any good at all. iD have been going downhill since Q2 and I can't see that stopping. Q3 was a step backwards from Q2 and team Arena was dreadful.

[OF]AbsolUT
8th Mar 2001, 01:04 PM
Zazicle, I guess everyone has there own opinion. I didn't like Half Life that much. Yes, it was great when it came out, but it just doesn't live up to being the best in my words. I don't know. Maybe it's the graphics (All the browns and reds). The story line was alright. DeusEx was allot better of a story line. But like I said, everyone has there own opinion.

TomCom
9th Mar 2001, 03:33 AM
to be honest I dont think halflife2 will be as big as the original. This is because I expect Valve will concentrate on the single player aspects of the game, and the multiplayer will be handled by team fortress 2 (sort of like unreal2 / unreal warfare). This would lead to lots of mods developed for TF2, but not for HL2.

it's just a theory mind :)

WiLD2
9th Mar 2001, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by TomCom
to be honest I dont think halflife2 will be as big as the original. This is because I expect Valve will concentrate on the single player aspects of the game, and the multiplayer will be handled by team fortress 2

1)Well, Half-Life was released over three years ago, people are definately waiting for the sequal. And I hope they focus on the single player aspect of the game, I really do because IMO the SP version of the game is the best part, you don't have cocky, loud-mouthed (fingered?) kids calling you down every time they frag you or you frag them repeatedly. Also, I think HL didn't have that great of online play, not even with TF.

2)The Team Fortress 2 team is still Valve so if Valve is going to do the single player aspects of the game, they are going to do the multi-player aspects of the game, as well. I'm not so much a fan of TF, unless it is spelled out UnF.

ShadowKi][er
13th Mar 2001, 01:08 PM
I think Unreal Warfare will 0wn TF2. But I also think Half Life2 will beat Unreal2. Halo will play more like Metal Gear Solid than a First Person Shooter tho.

7thPixel
14th Mar 2001, 08:45 AM
I never really got into Unreal at all, so I'm not that thrilled about another 1 player FPS coming along.

As much as I love my UT, I believe I'll love Halo even more :)

BaTaTa
14th Mar 2001, 01:14 PM
what engine will use Deus Ex 2?

WiLD2
14th Mar 2001, 03:17 PM
It was one that made me have to actually look something up. Here's what I found about the Deus Ex 2 engine.
from PlanetDeusEx' FAQ guide (http://www.planetdeusex.com/dx2/info/faq/)
So what engine will DX2 use? Well, while there haven't been any official announcements, it should be reassurring that whenever anyone asks the DX2 team this question the 'Big Three' are always mentioned. That is, Quake 3, Unreal 2, and Lithtech. One interesting comment from designer Ricardo Bare is that "we think that some of the technology we are considering will allow us to do some really great daylight/twilight scenes. " Oooh, scary!

And I, for one, am looking forward to this game, but I still want Half-Life ][ and Unreal 2 more than DooM ]|[

http://FP.geocities.com/w2kyle/w2wh.gif

Kail
14th Mar 2001, 06:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Unreal II is the winner. As some of you have already pointed out, U2 will be the most varied game. The PCG article said there'll be jungles, cities, snow & glaciers and a deep and immersive storyline.
The storyline and the atmosphere was the major difference between Unreal and HL. Unreal was a "wow"-experience with a new world to discover, HL never was, although it was really scary at several occasions. It had a eerie atmosphere, that was what I liked about it. Unreal was an adventure.
However HL was not beautiful, Unreal was so much more beautiful, and the U engine it still kicks ass!
Compare Quake II's graphics to Unreal's - id has never been a leader i graphics.
Unreal also had one thing which HL never had, a kick-ass soundtrack. HL has temporary atmospheric sounds but not real music that enhanced and conveyed the game's atmosphere like in Unreal. Unreal is a total winner in this aspect.
I like both games. They feel different since they *are* different and I guess I'll buy and enjoy both of them. However Unreal 2 will probably be my favorite title.

As for D3, I don't know. Doom I and II were cool and have almost the same style as HL in terms of atmosphere and story/plot. They were both eerie and had obvious connections to horror fiction. If id, after all these years of multiplayer Quake, will be able to make something new out of that it may be a success.
I saw some low resolution over-JPEG screen shots from D3 over at Daily Radar and they looked cool, but not better than the screenshots from Unreal II.
I'm not referring to destroyable terrains since id was not the first game company to develop that, Volition was. They call it geomods and will be used in their upcoming title Red Faction (http://www.redfaction.com). Volition has made two of the best space combat sims ever (the FreeSpace series) and beat Origin which is the producer of the Wing Commander series. Volition is a very competent competitor and I'm sure Red Faction won't be a disappointment so don't ignore it! The graphics look rather dull compared with U2 however the gameplay seems to reach a new dimension, and that's what matters most!

Deus Ex is a utterly cool game but it was built on the Unreal engine and I guess Deus Ex 2 will also be. Deus Ex doesn't have an engine of its own so it's actually no part of this discussion since the topic is game engines, not game titles.

My "hottest upcoming titles" list:

- Red Faction
- Freelancer
- Unreal II

Links:
http://www.redfaction.com
http://www.volition-inc.com

FulGur
18th Mar 2001, 03:25 PM
I think that Half-life II will have the same success that the playstation 2. I explain, the playstation first of the name were a pretty good console and now the playstation 2 is a bad console (i think!!) with no good games. All is not bad in ps 2 but this is not a revolution.
That's what I think.

Flare123
18th Mar 2001, 06:38 PM
I think they will all be great, but I will have to go with Doom3 just because it will be coming out before half-life 2 and unreal isnt as popular as doom is.

Leech
19th Mar 2001, 07:54 PM
I'm disagreeing.
Quite strongly.
Id Made Doom.
Doom made a genre.
Yes, yes, i know we can argue that wolf3d did it all, or ever Ultima Underworld, But truth be told, Doom made it all start to happen.
Who Made Doom?
Id did.
Now take a look at quake 3. The game is absolute shash compared to Unreal Tournament, But DAMN does it ever look good. Curved surfaces, amazing water, and all around juiciness. If you look to see what they're doing with the engine itself, it's truely amazing. It's a wonderfull engine and in alot of ways, it's better than the Unreal engine. Do i play Q3?
No.
Do I play UT?
Like a pig in swill.
Do i like the Q3 enigne and can't find many flaws with it?
Yes.
The same for UT?
No.

That is my point.
Wether you agree with it or not is up to you.

ravenus
20th Mar 2001, 09:10 AM
I think games now look pretty good.
I'd root for engines that are able to make such graphics on ordinary affordable horsepower, not a $600 card and such ****.

theindianfakir
21st Mar 2001, 05:25 AM
IMHO the reason why Q3 levels dont look as varied as UT levels is because of Q3Radiant (which is the ****tiest and bitchiest of level editors to use).

The point being if Robert Duffy the guy in charge of the quake editor changes the Editor code to something like UnrealEd you will see some awesome stuff come out of the Q3 engine games. And didnt it feel like nearly all the levels in HL1 were sort of boxy.

Worst of all it does not support importing from 3dSMax - the huge outdoor levels dont look so realistic when made with this. this will really be a problem when it comes to stroming the beaches in RTCW - it aint gonna look like U2 or Halo for sure. And to top it all the enhanced UEd in legends and Epics hands now supports both importing and exporting to 3dsmax - thats going to take the levels to an all new height.

ravenus
21st Mar 2001, 08:44 AM
Sure hope so. Looking out already to download all those tasty user-made maps.

DarkByte
1st Apr 2001, 09:35 AM
Humm .. i was under the impression that Unreal Warfare was the ENGINE behing Unreal 2 ... but i might be wrong.

hal
2nd Apr 2001, 06:46 AM
Unreal Warfare is both the UEngine in its current state (meaning that Legend's U2 is using the UW Engine) and the codename of a confirmed game that Epic is currently working on.

Dark-Lance(MT)
8th Apr 2001, 08:01 PM
One thing you are all forgeting about, Both doom games owned they still do, go on the net playing it and there are still a few diehards there, when was that game released? can remeber, if DOOM 3 is anything like its forebearers, you have doom supporters comming out of your bloody ears, im serious, they will crawl out of their holes in droves, now im a great fan of unreal and UT halflife is a ok game i suppose, but trust me on one thing, ID will deliver, and it will be a great game, i just hope unreal 2 will have as big a fan base

NeoNite
17th Apr 2001, 04:33 PM
SOME RESPECT FOR DOOM!

ok id made doom, but back then id made real games!
ANd doom is still the biggest fps game ever. Half life? nope. DOom is the king.

It's just so fast and furious, evil and hilarious at the same time. I'll never stop playing the old doom games; Their still number one on my games list. :)
Yes, i do like ut and unreal and i'll go for unreal II. I do kind off hope epic will make u2 a little more varied than the first unreal game, you know what i mean. But i trust epic. Id on the other hand..

team arena geez.. what a bummer for id i guess. :)
Epic released free bonus packs, who are imho better than ta. Id doesn't seem to love it's public that much by charging money for a "mod" right? and the patch crap man i've seen my share of people posting on the pq forums have patching problems.. phew.

I'm really unsure about the doom3 project. I've lost faith in Id's capability in creating a real game. (gameplay and graphics on the same level).
I'm sure unreal II will rock. HL2? well, i can say hl single play was great. Not too many monsters, hate that stupid lame-ass spider(prefer gargantua), but great atmosphere. Dm imho sucks. horribly slow.

But i'm sure d3 will sell many copies.. in the end, id has a big name in the gaming industry.. just look at their palmares: wolfenstein, doom, doom2, quake, quake2.. should i add quake3?

When the games are getting released.. we'll know who the winners will be..

PF Prophet
19th Apr 2004, 09:06 PM
wow this is old to :P

Dandeloreon1984
19th Apr 2004, 09:16 PM
:stupid: SUPER BUMP

anyways thie thread is a little unfair....

Doom 3- Released, but more than two years late
Half life 2- TBA

:404:Duke Nukem forever- GETTING tired of the delay, 7 years is way to long... anyways it is in a league of it's own...

Dragon_Myr
19th Apr 2004, 09:22 PM
Well, this is an old thread that's still applicable to what's going on today. I don't see a big deal in bringing this one back. Look at all the people who used to support this game though. 0_o Damn you Atari!

I have never been impressed with Doom. It's good, don't get me wrong. But it lacks something. There's charm in other games that I just don't see in Doom. Doom3 is no exception so far.

Duke owns. But I've given up. Duke3d is still a kickass FPS for how old it is. Unfortunately, WinXP hates it. :( I can't play. Damn you M$!! Hopefully if they ever do release DNF it will recover the charm in Duke3d that has been absent from most of the other Duke games, save Zero Hour (which was oddly enough my second favorite duke game).

I've never played any Half Life stuff so I can't comment there.

-Myr

Dandeloreon1984
19th Apr 2004, 09:26 PM
Duke owns. But I've given up. Duke3d is still a kickass FPS for how old it is. Unfortunately, WinXP hates it. :( I can't play. Damn you M$!! Hopefully if they ever do release DNF it will recover the charm in Duke3d that has been absent from most of the other Duke games, save Zero Hour (which was oddly enough my second favorite duke game).

hmm... i just played duke3d on my winXP machine today, are ya doin somethin right... look at how i set my video....
use Screen mode 2, and that will allow you to play it on Win XP....

and also note that vesa 2.x is not compat with win xp...
;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 0
; - Vesa 2.0 - 1
; - Screen Buffered - 2
; - Tseng optimized - 3
; - Paradise optimized - 4
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6

Oh by the way, open up the Duke3d.cfg file, and hack that by changeing the line...

ScreenMode = 1

to

ScreenMode = 2

Dragon_Myr
19th Apr 2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks. I'll give that a try ;)

Know anything about getting the Atomic Edition expansion to install? It always stops me and says I need 64 mb of ram or something.

-Myr

HARTEMAN63
19th Apr 2004, 11:47 PM
Uh I still have the bump crown! But I think Doom 3 is going to be THE game to get. Or should I say the game that will help the economy out since so many people will be upgrading their systems for it. Seriously, Doom 3 is going to get my money. Unless Gamespot says its crap, cauz they have never led me astray. Yet.

Ausman785
20th Apr 2004, 12:57 AM
Sorry, but you're all wrong.

Unreal 2 wins over EVERY other game listed, why? XMP....duh.

Without Unreal 2 there would probably be no XMP, and without XMP there would be no XMP forum to post your debate about which game is better on.

Class is dismissed. :)

PF Prophet
20th Apr 2004, 01:29 AM
oh u wanted a pointless post bummped gime a sec ;)