UT Freeze online? Look here

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Okay, has anyone else run into the problem where UT plays fine offline, but selecting multiplayer causes the game to hitch and freeze? I only experience this mildly, for instance when the server browser is open and a server is highlighted that seems to be crashing or going offline...then my system will freeze for several seconds.

But enough about my problem. There are quite a number of people in the Troubleshooting Forum that could use some insight at these threads: http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=31451&pagenumber=1

http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=32508

http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=32436

BTW, anyone ever have a problem with the <ESC> key not responding on startup of UT?

synergy

{ThC}XiKo
Dec 2, 2000
yeah, when i had the CityIntro.unr as the intro it did it alot..but the new map is alot better with the redemmer shot.

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I fixed mine

I forgot where I read this but...

After I got DSL, There was an very long pause when booting the computer. Also when choosing to play an online game in UT it would freeze for like 30+ seconds.

All you have to do is enter a fake IP/submask in the networking section under TCP/IP. My ISP automatically assigns me an IP when I connect but oddly enough it doesn't matter that I put one in there. But it does take away the booting delay and the Find an internet game delay in UT :)

Got to: My Computer/Control Panel/Network/"TCP/IP" choose properties and add a fake IP and submask address. If for some reason it doesn't work for you then you can always remove it with no problem. Don't remove an IP if it is already there! This may be the IP given for your computer by the ISP you use. So don't remove it if one is there.

I remember it has something to do with DCHP.

Hope this helps.

i used to always get this problem, and my brother used to get it too. What helped me and my brother was this:

either delete then reinstall ur network card or disable it completely.

theres been a lot of talk that it has something to do with your sound blaster (maybe it has) but i have tried all posible ways and the only thing that worked for me was disabling my network card

anyway hope this helps

Nevar

Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
Wasn't 436 the first patch to tweak the browser for broadband users? >6000 netspeed? Just a thought I think.
Using Eavy's browser tweak with 436 no problems..

buff_daddy3232

When you've got it keep it otherwise lose it
Jan 19, 2001
Hilliard, Ohio
geocities.com
patch 436

I added more ram to my machine and at bootup and multiplayer it got a lot faster to start, however i installed Unreal Fortress, and my multiplayer took a few seconds longer to come up, but the new 436 patch is messing up my game displays. 432 and lower game plays fine, but the new 436 patch, actually makes my play slower and painful. However i cant uninstall it or i wont beable to play online. Do you notice any difference between the 432 patch vs the 436.

Xertion

Aug 3, 2000
Visit site
Your problem is because of UTF

It is a reported bug that it causes a slow dow/pause when loading and trying to find a game online. Wait for the next patch :)

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
I think XHalted1 may have a valid tip. I was noticing that I would get these occasional, incredibly long pauses in the browser server list, where it would seem like my computer was locked. Then the server it was "stuck on" would ping in at 65,000 or some such rubbish.
This only happened to me since I forgot to put in an IP and subnet mask for my ethernet card for its tcp/ip network properties. I usually would have these numbers in there, except I haven't been gaming on my LAN since I reinstalled windows a while ago.(Note, I use a modem for the internet, not the nic,so I have to leave those settings open on tcp for the dial up adapter.) I've never noticed this pausing problem since I put in an IP and subnet.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It looks like a lot of people are having this problem. Xhalted1, and others, thanks for your help. Now if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it...post it here so others can fix it too.

Thanks.

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
WOOT!!! WOOT!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!

Thanks Xhalted1!!!!!

I did exactly what you said and filled in fake info in the IP and subnet field and now my problem is gone!!!

Before, my comp pauses for a long time at startup. Now, it just boots up right away! Also, in the browser list while I'm pinging servers, the browser would freeze for 30 seconds or more. I have not seen that yet since I did that "fix"!!!

w00t!!!! Thanks again for the help!! :D:D:D

/me is a very happy camper. :D

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
WOW I'm happy I could help so many :)

I'm glad that I was able to help so many people with this tip. Anytime I asked anyone or told anyone I was freezing for 30+ seconds when trying to get a server list, they just said "well that's odd". Whole lot of help there.

Then I was looking at a bunch of tweak site and found a small section that gave me this "fix." I didn't want to try it because I was sure it would mess up my DSL. But luckily I did it anyway. It sure helped me. I'm just glad I could help you guys out :)