OpenGL or Direct 3D?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JitsuGuy

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I'm about to get a Geforce 2 card and wanted to know what would be best for UT... ??? Any ideas. I'm really dumb when it comes to the 3D card stuff.

Thanks,
Jits

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
First of all, if Direct 3D plays smoothly enough and you're happy with it, it would be a lot easier not to set up OpenGL, but if not...

Check out this thread: http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=31301

It will give you a link and a lot of great information on how to set up OpenGL to make it look great and play smoothly. It could be a difficult task, so make sure you know what you're capable of.

Blender

Apr 4, 2000
Visit site
The best API for UT is glide, but now that 3DFX is gone, who knows if Nvidia will continue product support for those boards or if they will just absorb the glide API into their TNT and geForce chipsets. Personally, I'd go with the geForce. I use a TNT2 Ultra and it runs good, but it runs even better on my buddy's geForce machine. OpenGL is a pain in the arse.

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Neither - they will drop it entirely. No software developer has any interest in continuing to develop Glide applications. Nvidia have tied their flag firmly to the Direct3D pole through their commitment to the Xbox.

buff_daddy3232

When you've got it keep it otherwise lose it
Jan 19, 2001
Hilliard, Ohio
geocities.com
Direct 3D

Glide was good, however dont get a voodoo, they no longer exist nor will they, so as for support or compadibility is no longer aviable. I have the new ATI Radon card and it kicks ass, but your card will too, im not trying to put down your choice. However, opengl just makes your video performance slower, so go with direct 3d. Until developers come out with a better performance of GL, stay with 3D.

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Ok lets stop for a FPS check :) for those who are using d3d or open gl. Mine Voodoo5 5500 min. 100 max 190 ofcoarse your going to say no way, but you have to realize I am useing 2 1 gig procesors on a duel motherboard and frankly atholon kicks ass plus over 700megs of ram so lets see what everyone else is pumping out there.

mnfs

Mar 1, 2000
Visit site
With my P3 733 and Annihilator 2 I get 60fps on average in D3D and OpenGL running at 1280x1024x32 highest detail. However OpenGL seems to eat up more memory than D3D, although I don't know if they fixed that with the new DLL.

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
XxBonesxX, I still dont believe you get those framerates.

1st: Your only using one processor when playing UT

2nd: Every web site that has tested similar single processor rigs show much lower framerates even in Glide.

mnfs

Mar 1, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Zaphrod
XxBonesxX, I still dont believe you get those framerates.

1st: Your only using one processor when playing UT

2nd: Every web site that has tested similar single processor rigs show much lower framerates even in Glide.

LOL, he must have a GeForce 5 to get that kind of performance. He is one of those kind of peeps who spreads misinformation and brags more than he actually plays his games. That Voodoo 5 doesn't have enough power get such framerates. It can only store 32mb worth of textures (because each chip has it's own 32mb) and you couldn't possibly get 100fps as your lowest framerate at 1600x1200 highest detail because of the memory limitation. This guy is just as bad as someone else I know who has claimed to run Project IGI at 1600x1200 with 4x4 fsaa and get a smooth framerate. Running at those settings can't be done, but if they could it would be equal to running at 6400x4800. Anyways, this guy is doing nothing but gloating.

Rawhead_Wrecks

Sep 1, 2000
Visit site
Go ahead and get that Geforce 2 and run Unreal tournament in D3d. It's a great card and, if you have an adequate processor, Unreal Tournament will run OK - maybe a little frame chop and a maybe little mouse lag. Then get on E-bay and buy a couple of Voodoo 2's. They should run you about $50 for both. Put them into you machine (they run fine along side a Geforce) and you'll see Unreal Tournament the way it was meant to be: in Glide, Smooth framerates, no laggy mouse and high detail textures when you get up close.

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by hardcoresidd
THe best API for UT is MeTaL end of story!

MeTaL looks pretty but unfortunately all of the cards that support it suck and it crashes every five minutes.

On another note, please don't try to get this guy to buy a Voodoo card. He already has a Geforce 2, and UT is going to be one of the last mainly Glide games out there.