Dominator tonight...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
We're going to be trying out the new, "web-adminable" version of Dominator tonight on The Big Dipper. I'm going to fire it up around 7:00 PM EST in an effort to test it's web-adminableness (web-adminability?) Anyway, if you're interested in joining us, you must get the new version of Dominator or you'll get a version mismatch. You can download it here:

http://www.clanbhs.com/files/Dominator_v1x.zip

If you have an older version of Dominator installed, I think you have to ditch it first? Anyway, you can figure it out. :) We'll only be running this for a couple of hours, but if it goes well, we'll consider running this mod full-time. Hope to see ya there!

(IP for The Dipper is unreal://146.201.26.124)

barfretchpuke

Dec 20, 1999
Visit site
Well this can get confusing.

If someoneone uninstalls dominator and installs the new one, they won't have a dominator tab in their server browser. This can be fixed by opening up the dominator.int and removing the "//" in front of one of the lines. (There's only 3 lines so it's not hard to find.)

However, if I coded it correctly and the server admin chose to set it up, the server would actually appear in the domination tab and not the dominator tab.

So, to summarize:
Admin can set up server to appear in domination tab - dominator tab is not needed.
If not, the client needs to edit the dominator.int to get the server tab back.

Of course if I made any coding errors it will all be for naught! =P

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
Dominator is pretty much a cross between Domination and CTF. The mod can be played on either the Dom maps or the DM maps (where the Control points are randomly added.) There is one 'neutral' flag that starts in a random map location. The idea is you have to be carrying the flag to turn the CP's to your color.

In the original mod, the team scoring system worked like CTF, in that once you turned all the CP's, your team scores (like a cap) and the CP's and flag reset. In this new version, an optional scoring method akin to Dom has been added, so that CP's score for your team while they are controlled. (Haven't tried that yet, but sounds very interesting...)

Flag physics work just like in CTF; you die you drop it, you t/l you drop it, etc. The mod is very fast-paced and team-intensive, encompassing the flag-carrying & defending aspects of CTF and the CP defense of Dom. The randomization of Control points ensures that each game is completely different from the last.

barfretchpuke

Dec 20, 1999
Visit site
A couple of other features to mention:

Like domination it can be played with 2-4 teams. So you can get some pseudo-multi-ctf action without the need for custom maps.

The bots play it pretty well. IMO, playing CTF or Domination off-line is pretty dull, but dominator is non-stop action and rather challenging.

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
Good points.

Another thing I wanted to mention that really makes this mod is the 'compass'. The Dominator HUD has a compass that points to the flag at all times, and is color-coded based on the z-axis. What this means is, as the flag-carrier, you are NEVER safe, but on the other hand, your team-mates always know where you are. This keeps the action focused continuously on the flag and the flag carrier, and give the game a pace unlike Dom or CTF.

hobart_paving

May 30, 2000
Visit site
aww, man. i'm still gonna be at work at 7pm est. can't you guys run it a little longer so us west coast folk can try it when we get home from work? :D

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
Yeah, when 7:00 rolled around and nobody showed up, I figured most of the West Coasters were still at work and might stop by later. We have a CTF match vs. DD tonight at 9:00 eastern, so chances are the server will be down for that. Than an IG match at 11:00 so the server will be down for THAT. However, I think we're going to try & run this mod full-time (our server runs roughly the same hours as The Roost) so look for it if you're interested. :)

Sep 10, 2000
Boston, MA
www.clanbhs.com
w00t that was awesome!

About 15 other people showed up around 10 est and we got back on and played some more. 15 people spamming like maniacs in Deck16 is awesome. Everyone that didn't come sure did miss out ;)

Just ask Hobie ;)

hobart_paving

May 30, 2000
Visit site
that was freaking cool! hehe. :D took me a little while to get used to all the little thingies on my hud, but the whole game was intense. hopefully we can get some servers to run dominator so we can do this again. :)

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
definitely spread the word man... we are going to start at least doing this more often, or like snow said perhaps actually turning the server over to dominator full time when it's not in use for clan matches... we'd love to see this get popular enough for a ladder, the gameplay is so unique, wild and teamwork- intensive.. i have seen nothing else that would be as good training for a CTF offensive team especially. It really tests your true level of teamwork: how fast can you adjst and respond to your team's movements? how well can you anticipate? /me gets all excited again

DOMINATOR ROCKS...

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
That sounds like fun.

Good thing there's a compass though. I would just grab the flag, nail a control point, and hide on all you guys for the rest of the game and laugh at you all and spam while you're looking for me ;p

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
Look for us to be running this again tonight after our Team DM. Probably starting around 10:00 or so Eastern. We have a thread running on a PG forum regarding maps and other settings for this mod. If you stop by to play, and enjoy it, visit our thread there and drop some suggestions.