The 436 Patch SUCKS!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PsychoSy

Jan 7, 2001
Michigan
Visit site
First off, the gear.

Gigabyte GA5-AX Rev. 5.2 (F3) Bios
Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 MX 32MB (Elsa 6.34 Drivers)
AMD K6-2 500
256 PC100 SDRAM
Direct X 7.0a
Windows ME

With UT 4.32 and Loki's S3TC fix, I never dipped below 30 FPS unless in a big gun fight. Using the built-in Time-Demo feature, my average consistant frame rate rarely dipped below 30 and the "Last Sec" would usually match the "Average". Even in a nasty 6-way gunfight, both figures never dipped below 17 FPS.

I installed 436 patch the other day and saw my performance get chopped IN HALF! This 436 patch has plagued me with a miserable 15 FPS (even in Single Player mode with a zoomed sniper rifle pointed at wall!!). Wondering if it was the patch, I installed the latest Quake 3 patch as well and took another 50% performance hit there (even at the lowly 512x384 resolution!)

I then susspect Direct X 8 so I uninstall it and go back to DirectX 7.0a. Didn't help at all. I then tried a smorgasboard of drivers - 6.47, 6.48, 6.49 and they never increased performance and in fact gave black screens when exiting UT.

Back at square one - I go back to the Elsa 6.34 drivers and nothing has changed. I uninstall UT and re-install it, patching it back up to 4.32 and still suffered the 50% decrease in performance. Taking a hammer to my rig sounds very tempting at about this time but I figured, "One more try..."

I hack the registry deleting anything related to "Nvidia" and "Elsa" and then I use the add/remove programs to uninstall the Elsa 6.34 drivers. My rig reboots to the "Standard PCI/AGP VGA Display" driver. From there, I launch the Elsa drivers from the SETUP.EXE file (previously, I just used the "Update Driver" from the Device Manager). Computer reboots twice.

I launch UT in practice mode, 5 bots plus myself along with the Relics mutator and I chose "Agony" as the map. Bingo! I 've got my 50% back!! I even let the "Fire when Ready" sit on the screen for a while and notice my Frame Rate shoot up into the low 50s (with the 50% loss, this never got above 25!). Test run for a few hours and it hardly drops below 30 FPS!!

Curios, I launch Quake 3 and my 50% performance is back here as well (even at 1024x728x32bit, my frame rate was close to 30FPS consistantly) Keep in mind, I never uninstalled Quake 3 - I left that alone after I patched it to 1.27.

Now, just a moment ago, I installed the 436 patch again.

I'm back to 15 FPS and leaving the "Fire when Ready" on the screen and watching the counter, it never goes above 30 FPS - it hovers between 22-25!!

How the heck can a patch affect my system so damned bad?!? I just don't get it! :( :( :mad:

Any suggestions?