PDA

View Full Version : Optical mouse?

ks
8th Jan 2001, 04:50 AM
Does anyone have experiences using optical mouse with UT? Is it really better as reviews use to claim?

kamikaze9
8th Jan 2001, 04:59 AM
Yep. I just got one recently and am finally starting to get used to it. At first it's kinda weird because I had to take my sensitivity down like 3 points when I first got it, but I'm slowly jacking it back up.

It's also really nice to be able to line up people's heads in your crosshairs without having them skip over the enemy because of a dirty mouse :)

Stillborn
8th Jan 2001, 05:01 AM
I actually changed two days ago from an ordinary 2 button wheelmouse to an optical mouse. And all I can say is that it sux at first (think it was the friction bit that I missed from the old mouse... ball against mousepad), but then it rox!!! My optical mouse is a standard 2 button wheelie (but now I can't live without it!) There is no friction, no screwups 'cause of a dirty ballhouse(?) Well you know what I mean ;) AND therefor I get much better control!

And in the end it's your skillz that count and that's where I kickin' me own arz!

Morbo
8th Jan 2001, 05:26 AM
There is that 'Razor Boomslang' (or something like that) mouse tha the pro's use. All I know about is it costs 69.99! That is about $100! It looks good though and it is 8X more accreate or something. I don't know, I still stuck here with my intelimouse with wheel. Though I don't know I could survive wwithout a wheel mouse. Sorry for rambling on but................

Morbo
8th Jan 2001, 05:27 AM
Sorry about this but... I use my mouse wheel as a third button, just by pressing it instead of rolling it.

hal
8th Jan 2001, 05:36 AM
I use an Intellimouse Explorer and find it to be very accurate. The buttons have a slightly "loose" feel to them and that took some adjustment.

The other thing I had to get used to, was the fact that it is quite a bit larger than my old mouse. I wanted to try to "push" it. Once I realized that actually grabbing it and moving it like a chalkboard eraser worked best, I was okay. So I would say that for the IE mouse you would have to have average to large size hands.

Tetris L
8th Jan 2001, 05:37 AM
I got an optical mouse about 2 month ago and yes, it is great and I can recommend it! Very precise and you never have to clean it.

My only problem with my current mouse is that I don't like the shape of the MS IntelliPoint mouse, but this has nothing to do with the fact that it's optical. Damn me that I didn't realize this before I bought it, but because of the shape, it is very hard to grab and lift the mouse. If I'd buy a mouse again now, I'd probably buy a Logitech.

Swedix
8th Jan 2001, 07:27 AM
I have an Intellimouse Optical. It's a little bit smaller than Explorer and it's surface is little rough.
It has 4 buttons + wheel.
I had this mouse for about 5 months and it works fine for me. I use it on my USB port.
If you buy that mouse so go and grab the latest drivers here: http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/mouse/driver/3_2/default.htm

Xhalted1
8th Jan 2001, 07:40 AM
I had a Boomslang Razor 2000 for as long as it's been out. Maybe it was wear and tear or software but I couldn't get a head shot but for luck. Now I have the Intellimouse Explorer and I am very happy to see so many heads-a-popin :)

I will miss the Razors' On-the-Fly sensitivity control and it very low profile (almost like resting your hand on nothing.) But for accuracy the Intellimouse Explorer is the way to go.

At first I though I wasted my money. Way to slow for what I was used to. But then I turned up the sensitivity 1 click below all the way and I was back all set :)

Well worth the money and about $30US cheaper than the Razor 2000.

Fomhoire
8th Jan 2001, 08:51 AM
I just bought an optical mouse, the Intellimouse Explorer, this weekend. It works much better. I had a problem with the ball in the old mouse skipping, and I would constantly fall into lava pits, or run into walls with the rocket launcher. The optical mouse eliminates that.

It does take some getting used to. You'll have to tweak the sensitivity and orientation a bit.

I would have to say, the only con about this mouse is that it is a little bit larger than I prefer, but not too bad once you get used to it. It normally runs about $59.95, however, if you are in a large city, call around. The day I bought mine, I just happened to stop at another store and find it for $10 less.

Stosh
8th Jan 2001, 09:02 AM
$29.95 at BestBuy. Some people have experienced problems getting the scroll working in UT. However, I never had any problems with it. I think it really improved my game.

I would highly recommend it. It is the best purchase I made since getting my SBLive Value for $59 retail.

I also use the wheel as a third button in addition to scrolling.

KingLao2000
8th Jan 2001, 09:21 AM
The Optical Mouse is very cool!!!
I have the Mouse for 3 Weeks and it works great for me!
I love it, you have for example 5 buttons which you can programm, so you can take Jump and your fav weapon on the mouse, and you have more space for some Taunts etc.
I love the mouse, and i'll never change it against a ball mouse, you don't have to clean it, you can good aim, and you don't have to fear that the ball don't react in the right moment :D I know this problem very well, that my ball don't react and i shot myself in the air with some nice rockets :) And since i bought the mouse i don't have any problems with it!
I can suggest you a Optical Mouse, it's great to have one!

[tFH]KingLao2000|PuF
[tFH] still search Members - http://www.crosswinds.net/~kinglao2000/tFH
ICQ of the Leader: 78124165
http://www.crosswinds.net/~kinglao2000/tFHLogo2.jpg

SadaraK
8th Jan 2001, 09:28 AM
Ill make it very simple, if u play the game on sensitivity 3 DONT GET AN OPTICAL MOUSE. I got an intelli mouse explorer with laser and I couldnt use it at all, I play with sensitivity 3 and have done for over a year and the optical mouse simply cant keep up with large fast movments without loosing it and pointing u at the floor. I now use my old intelli wheel mouse and love it.

Law
8th Jan 2001, 02:45 PM
I bought one a few months ago(MS Intellimouse Optical) and I love it. Extremely accurate and well made. It also got rid of the one problem I always had with regular mice. I guess I must have been pretty hard on the regular ball mice because I would wear them out within a few months.

It helped my scores and it's a good mouse for surfing and every day comp stuff.

Buy it. :)

Xhalted1
8th Jan 2001, 02:57 PM
I agree with RevolutionX. It is great for everyday use as well. The Razor Mouse was crappy for anything but games. It is the main reason I learned so many keyboard shortcuts. Trying to click the little x to close a window was a pain with the Razor. Much easier to press ALT-F4.

ThePlague
8th Jan 2001, 03:28 PM
I love the Optical mice. I prefer the Logitech one over the MS mice though. Seeing as I broke 2 Explorer mice already and it seems that the Logitech is more solid. Plus it has alittle more weight to it. I have the Bigger one I think it sells for like $39-49 er something. Normal ball mice will feel like you're driving a Car through 2 feet of mud when you get used to the optical :D

thewalkingman
8th Jan 2001, 03:56 PM
Mine doubles as a cigarette lighter

Hey mine doesnt perform well in Ut's gui screen especially near {x} close window. y?

kamikaze9
8th Jan 2001, 07:28 PM
Yea, that is a good point. My friend would have his optical and his Boomslang both hooked up USB, and use the Boomslang for only gaming, then put it on the shelf when it game time to use the mouse for normal stuff. Finally, after his second 'slang broke he just started using the Optical for his gaming mouse as well.

I have the $30 MS Wheel Mouse optical, because I hate those side buttons, I always accidentally click them. I also like that it's a little lower to the desk (The Explorer and Intellimouse both arc up kinda high. When I was using either one of those my gel wrist pad would not be doing anything :))

Ruffrider
8th Jan 2001, 07:31 PM
I hate optical mouses. I took my dads home from work just to try it out... I couldn't stand it! I'll stick to my trusty old Logitech :).

hal
8th Jan 2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by SadaraK
Ill make it very simple, if u play the game on sensitivity 3 DONT GET AN OPTICAL MOUSE. I got an intelli mouse explorer with laser and I couldnt use it at all, I play with sensitivity 3 and have done for over a year and the optical mouse simply cant keep up with large fast movments without loosing it and pointing u at the floor. I now use my old intelli wheel mouse and love it.

ehhh...what? The sampling rate is very fast. I can flick it as fast as I can and still have perfect control. Were you using the USB port or something?

GetnWiggy
8th Jan 2001, 10:54 PM
I've had several mouses, :D and I use the MS Optimouse now. I haven't tried the Logitech opti yet, so I can't comment on that, they do make solid mice though. :) I'd recommend an opti any day, they take some getting used to so far as their feel, but once you're used to them it's hard to go back. The MS has 4 buttons plus the wheel so it rawks for usefullness. When I used a ball with my Everglide giganta mouse pad I had to clean the flippin' thing daily at least. It tracked great but it was a pain...after about 3 hours of fraggin' I had to stand in a corner and disassemble my mouse. The optimouse rulz! Try it out.

Swarthy_Foreskin
8th Jan 2001, 11:14 PM
check out this mod on an MS Optical mouse
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=82040

FrAnK CaStLe
9th Jan 2001, 12:57 AM
I have an ms optical explorer, a logitech optical, and a razer boomslang2000.

The reason I have all these is because of the problems I started getting when I had my ms optical. After about 5 months of use it started getting funny. It would track slow and the sensitivity seemed to degrade. Then it got completly borked. I reinstall the software but it gets bad after awhile anyways. I read about this on some hardware boards and its a common gripe.

I then decided on the boomslang to replace it. I like the accuracy, never had a problem with getting a headshot (in fact its incredible sensitivity can help your accuracy if you have a steady hand). The button started getting sticky though. I would fire and then it wouldnt stop firing...you can imagine the problems I had!

So I then got a logitech optical. This is a fine mouse it seems. Superior to the ms optical. But its too light for my hands...makes me screw up the combo. I have since remedied the problem with the boomslang and I prefer that out of all three. I use my logitech as backup just in case.

ThePlague
9th Jan 2001, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by hal
ehhh...what? The sampling rate is very fast. I can flick it as fast as I can and still have perfect control.

Uhuhuhuhuhuhuh..........that reads and sounds funny :D :D :D

SadaraK
9th Jan 2001, 02:48 AM
Errr so ur saying that using it in the usb instead of the PS2 can effect performance? Kind of a bummber knowing that now that Iv sold the bloody thing :( oh well boomslang awaits :)

ks
9th Jan 2001, 03:28 AM
Hey thanks for replies! I see you folks have a friendly attitude for a newbie like me.

You-Suk|BuF
9th Jan 2001, 05:32 AM
I'm using a Qware optical mouse....
and the damn thing rocks , it's accurate and fast

last weekend i tried a Razor Boomslang, damn it's fast :-)

i'm thinking about buying one

AmigaOne|BuF
9th Jan 2001, 08:23 AM
For those here that have been using the Intellimoose Explorer for a while and purchased a new one have you noticed any improvement over the older version? Supposedly the latest released mouse is 30% faster than the old one. I'm also hoping they improved the microswitches as that's why I have a new one. :D I've noticed that the new mouse doesn't have quite the audible click the last one did so maybe the switches are indeed a different type.

Anyhoo just wondered if anyone else made the same observations that I have or if I'm just deranged.

cybermouse
10th Jan 2001, 08:45 PM
how do you set the 2 side buttons?

Nights815
11th Jan 2001, 12:53 AM
my mouse includes a side mutton positioned where my thumb would be I use that for Zooming in Quake3 and giving special orders in UT
nights

hal
11th Jan 2001, 01:19 AM
You can set the side buttons by mapping them to a key on your keyboard. UT doesn't always "see" the other buttons.

Nights815
11th Jan 2001, 01:24 AM
my mouse is made by logitech
the side button is set to be the alt button on the keyboard
its a gay thing though it cant be setup as a regular third mouse button it hast to be a keyboard button

hal
11th Jan 2001, 01:30 AM
which is....sort of what I just said. :)

Xhalted1
11th Jan 2001, 07:11 AM
cybermouse - you just double click on the little mouse icon in your system tray :) It will bring up the mouse options.