PDA

View Full Version : flickering and crashing UT-menu...

DisTincTive
7th Jan 2001, 06:25 PM
hi d00ds,
since I replaced my VooDoo3-2000 with a GeForce2-MX I have flickering in the UT menu. That is not so important, but now i crashes very often when i want to minimize the UT-window. The screen gets blurry and i dont see anything then, but the Windows itself doesnt crash. This problem is very annoying, since i have to minimize it often, argh...

System:
P!!!-450
GeForce2-MX
128 MB RAM
UT version 436
Detonators 6.31

any advice??
thanx a lot !!

M0ldM^n
7th Jan 2001, 08:04 PM
I have the exact same problem. Right now I just don't minmize, I go into the system console(tilde key) and then type "preferences". That menu will minimize UT to a small window. It is a pain to do, but is a workaround until someone can fix us properly.

revenge
8th Jan 2001, 06:21 PM
Try binding a key to console command "preferences".
You could do it under preferences/Key Aliases smthg like that.

Crager
8th Jan 2001, 09:46 PM
Is your desktop and ut using the same rendering and size? 16 bit/32 bit? 800 X 600?

M0ldM^n
8th Jan 2001, 11:38 PM
yeah, both the desktop and UT are 1024X768, 32bit.

Now I'm trying to mess around with open gl to see if it'll work better. Problem with open gl is it creates a very dark screen, no matter what brightness setting I choose in the GUI. There is no flickering now and I can minimize the screen :P
If it's not one thing it's another...

DisTincTive
9th Jan 2001, 07:27 AM
yep, me too...i run UT in 16bit and my desktio in 16bit too.

eh MoldMan, doesnt it crash when u get UT into a window with the "preferences" command?? if so i could live with that (better than shutdown unreal for using a server remot ;))

Crager
9th Jan 2001, 07:43 AM
Did you try the dll file from here http://unreal.epicgames.com/

It was for v436 posted on Nov 8th.

DisTincTive
10th Jan 2001, 08:38 AM
Hmm, as i read on some tweaking-sites this is a known problem...so i did what they wrote ;)
i enabled "UseVideoMemoryVB" and the "VSync" in the console-preferences under the Direct3D-settings and since then the flickering stopped and it hasnt crashed when minimizing ;) (to be sure i've deactivated the "triple buffer" but i dunno wheter this had any effect)

i hope this wasnt only luck, but solves the problem.