USA vs OZ UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

renagade

huh?
Oct 18, 2000
Sydney
Visit site
do you think this could happen
maybe 1 game US server (fast) and 1 game OZ server

i think this would be great
any ideas e-mail me renagade@optushome.com.au or catch me on icq anytime 12460797
thanks
(btw OZ will win)

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
It has happened once. PuF vs OZ UT. I think I joined around that time and if memory serves it turned into a sour deal fast. Ping issues were rather ...erm...high.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I played in all 3 games on the US server for the OzUT match. PuF put loads of HPB's on to even the pings, and I had a 500 odd ping. Most of the Oz side had 800 pings. 3 games were played, nice and fun.

Then we played on the Oz servers, the LPb's in PuF played, and got a 300/400 ping, compared to the 150/250 odd the Oz side, half the PuF side walked out mid game.

Make from that what you will.

Stuart

Sep 21, 2000
Visit site
Ping issues shouldn't be so great a problem now. New link to the US is up which gives Optus@Home users in Australia, and Telecom NZ users in ... NZ, around 200-250 pings on good US west coast servers. Little higher on east coast.

The link was supposed to make things 100ish ms quicker, but it seems to have added a hell of a lot to stability as well due to the increased traffic load this cable can handle.

The key point here is...

A OZ team could realistically challenge some US based modem team and compete on even grounds. Even playing a lpb US team wouldn't frighten some Aussies, because we're so talented at competitive sports naturally ;)

It's yet to be tested whether the pings are good for the reverse journey. US routers may need to be specifically set up to use this new Southern Cross cable for the traffic back from US to Aus.

Someone here from the US do some basic ping / tracert test say to http://www.optus.com.au or even http://www.ozunreal.com.au. If it's still 350's or higher - still using old links. If its under 300's - Schweeet :)

Seriously, a few of us Aussie have been playing a bit of 4 way CTF (not seen in Australia) Instagib, and holding our own nicely. A steady ping of 200-250ish would mean the international series is now more realistic, and challenges could be forthcoming

:D

PS: LordKhaine - similar stories were told from the OZ side :p

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Heh, we whooped you Aussies in the Olympics, and we'll have to whoop you guys in UT now :p