PDA

View Full Version : 1v1 Tourny level Needs Pro Beta-testing!

Warlust
7th Jan 2001, 01:30 AM
Sup guys. Well, I've been hard at work at a UT 1v1 tourny level that is as professionally challenging as a Quake tournament level. I've done countless hours of research on level design for the most successful games, ranging from Quake 1,2,and 3 to Halflife to Perfect Dark, to the Hexen/Heretic series, etc.
If you guys could help me out, test out the current playable version of my level at:
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~tolaes/DM-Effluvium-Beta.zip

If possible, send me demos, feedback, complaints, etc. and a brief on your skill level to:
lenchobw@pacbell.net

And if you can, please read the included text file, as it will explain everything about the design and how to play it! Thanks and lates, much appreciated!!!

-Lorenzo "Warlust" Wang

OshadowO
7th Jan 2001, 11:38 AM
downloading it now at a very very slow rate. I'll post something back as soon as it's done and I've tooled around with it for a bit.

OshadowO
7th Jan 2001, 12:29 PM
Okeee I'm done. I spent about 15 miutes or so with the level so bear that in mind.
I think you did a great job on the looks and feel of the level. Don't add any music to it. It'd spoil the ambience imo.
In general the level does flow well. I had no problem with the weapon placements, the deemer while usless works very well to entice somebody into a very vunerable position. I think you suceeded very well in your goals in tha respect.
A few things you mihgt want to look into.
Going up the ladder seems rather jerky. I've never used a ladder in a map so I'm not sure how they work but it's a very sudden movement.
Bots tend to stay in the pipe. I know you mention right off the bat that this level is meant for humans but unfortunately, most levels no matter how good are doomed to be played by people offline as they rarely make it onto servers.
As a death match level I'm not quiet sure exactly what a hardcore DM level is by your defination because I never really played quake. I kept getting stuck in the tiny openings or had to hop over some doorways. I found trying to get to the top using the jumpboot/fan combo a frustrating exercise. Even trying to get the armour was kinda hard. All this with no bot too! Maybe that's what hardocre means, making a level difficult to navigate as well as having to worry about you opponent but it's not something I personally like. It's just too tight. All in all a good show though:)

Warlust
7th Jan 2001, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the the look! I'm a bit dismayed to hear that it was that difficult to navigate... but those are things I'm still working on. When I say Hardcore I mean a level that effectively sieves out the good from the bad players, one that does not rely on luck of any kind. Welp, I'll still be working on bots, but if two human players get a crack at it, send me a demo!

-Warlust

Warlust
7th Jan 2001, 08:30 PM
I'd just like to add one more thing... the UT community kicks ass! Damn the responses wherever I've posted have come in fast! Thanks.

-Warlust

Warlust
10th Jan 2001, 04:24 AM
Ack Cmon guys! I need the help!!!

Sir PotLuck=UTK=
10th Jan 2001, 04:57 AM
If ya like peaks then this is the one for you.
The objects within the map are done in really good detail.
But I found the level to be restrictive, little elbow room and not much space to run.

B
10th Jan 2001, 05:04 AM
ill go and look :)

Ultron
10th Jan 2001, 11:15 PM
Use ramps instead of stairs, preferably.

B
11th Jan 2001, 03:15 AM
Exelent work on the "curved tunnel" there :) ;like what u did with the debris tho; keep more maps like this comming:)
its kinda small tho, ok i know its 1 vs 1 but still
the lader is cool to:) nice to see em in UT :D

Warlust
11th Jan 2001, 03:29 AM
Thanks alot! Your feedback is essential. Why ramps instead of stairs?

Warlust

B
11th Jan 2001, 03:36 AM
i think because the stairs are more difficult to climb than ramps... (if he's reffering to the ladder that is..)

OshadowO
11th Jan 2001, 12:14 PM
Bots find it easier to use ramps then stairs. It can be a nightmare at times to get bot pathing right to get them to use the stairs.

Warlust
11th Jan 2001, 04:44 PM
Yeah I realize that... I'm not even gonna considering tackling bot pathing yet. I just wanna make sure competition between two people is optimum. If anyone has done a 1v1 humansonly game, send me a demo!

-Warlust