erie levels...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

afkik

Dec 23, 2000
Munich
Visit site
How would I make a really creepy level that is outside, with a little bit of fog and stuff. All i need to just get an idea, and also, how do you make good mountains like in some of the Unreal and Unreal Tournament levels?

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
I can help wit dat

for some really spooky effects try this

Make all your lights emmeanate from the ground up...making it appear dark outside, while allowing the player to see clearly

use Volumetric lighting, this is what produces a foggish appearance, you'd have to get Chris Toth to explain Volumetric lights, i still don't understand them

add decorations that are appropriate, don't add a colorful sign in the midst of a graveyard! use things like the monk statue, which looks really spooky,

follow these and a few other simple ideas and your map should be pretty spooky when you get done :D

as for making moutains, select cubes and build cubes or use the floor lofter when you use cubes, make them look realistic with sheets, cones, cylinders, and spheres, it won't look perfect but he more you experiment the better you'll get, have fun with these tips!! :D

Glad I could help!

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
Volumetric lighting:
-Set bFogZone to True in all the ZoneInfos' Properties
-Place you lights
-Set their VolumeFog to anything, it doesn't make any difference as long as it isn't 0
-Experiment with their VolumeRadius and VolumeBrightness settings until you have what you want.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Thanks Gabriel.

Volumetric Lights:
-Like Fuzz said
-But Volumefog makes diff: If it is set to a higher number your fog will look less dense. At least in some situations...otherwise no diff.

You can create Ambient fog too...but that's a bit experimental so e-mail me if you want to know.

-Use spider webs. They are in the GenFX texpack...place them on a sheet and voila.
-Make tunnels (dark with torches or flares) they are my favorites. Add rotten roots to the ceilings (sheets).
-Add noises from the Ambancient and Amboutside soundpax. They have a lot of spooky noises.
-Use grayish texies and only a few highly colored lights...they should be blue. That looks kinda spooky.
-Choose a spooky music...like Enigma.umx

That's it.

Have a nice day/night.

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
Ambient Fog:
-Set bFogZone to True
-Under ZoneLighting, there are ViewFog and ViewFlash to define the color of the fog.
I don't really know the difference, but this is what they do:
They're defined as Vectors, but aren't. X is Red, Y is Green, Z is Blue.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
That WILL suck if you use them this way because you will suddenly see the difference between the two zones you pass through. You will have to make transitions between the zones.

Say.. put a zone portal in the entrances (corridors) of a big field where ou want to have ambfog. Then put one in the middle of the corridor and one in a curve and one after it...I know the occlusion times will fly because of this but...

So set the fields zone fog to: 0.2,0.2,0.2 (modify them for diff colors)
The corridor's to: 0.1,0.1,0.1
The outer one to...

This way if you procceed through the corridor towards the field the fog becomes more and more dense.

About occlusion times: Try to avoid letting the player see several zones at the same time...
Fire up the game and type into the console Stat Global.
This will start the "Lag-o-meter"
Check it's occ field and try to not reach 10 on it...

Good luck.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
mountains:If you're talking about the far away mountains seen through windows,etc...
Use masked sheets with the mountain textures (somewhere in the texture packages...) and put them in your skybox.

fuzz:
-viewFog is the color that everything will be blended to.I's not volumetric (everything even close objects are faded) It's mostly used in waterzones(when underwater everything turns blue)
-viewflash is the color the screen flashes when you are taking damage underwater or in a nitrogenzone or when in a lowgravityzone (DM-pressure)

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
BTW for the Viewfog 0.1 is quite noticable...
Use smoother transitions. I've just written the idea not a correctably useable situation..

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
Chris:
Oops. Forgot to mention that thing about looking at fogged zones from outside. By the way, if you're spectating in a game, never put your own camera into a foggy zone, or else everything will be foggy, no matter if you look through that camera or follow another player.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
With the Viewfog it doesn't matter if you look at the zone from another fogzone...Since you don't have to set the zone to fogzone, because it's not fog, but viewfog which doesn't need Volumetric lights.

But with fogzones the case is that you won't see the fog from non-fogzones. (damn word repetition)
Sure then why don't we turn each zone into a fogzone? Simple. Fogzones cause slowdowns and there aren't any decals visible in it... :(
So be careful where you place 'em.

Fuzzpilz:
That cam thing is kinda irritating... :D

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
I know about the viewfog; but I merely forgot to mention that in my post. About the cam thing: Spectate in a botmatch, move into the water and instead of leaving it, set your cam to follow any bot. You'll see that there's viewfog where no viewfog should be.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Hi all.
Gabriel asked me to post this:

What to do for the transitions is (this is gonna make rebuilding hell)
but put a sheet to make zones, and then another about 5-10 units (set the
grid to 1 unit for best results) and in each one have it go down .001 on
each thing, maybe more if it should be really noticable (like going inside
a mausoleum, should be noticable)

That's it...
Now let's see...I'll reply to it! :D

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
The problem with that is not the rebuilding but the occlusion times...

As I mentioned if you see several zones from one point then occ times will be damn high....
I didn't write that corridor thing for fun. It can be used to block the view from seeing more zones!

It can be used...Even more it will be more eye candy than my solution but mine will run better.
The situation should choose what to use. (that rhymes :D ) Because in an ultra high frame rate area it won't cause too much loss if you choose Gabriel's solution.

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
But unless there's to be very little fog at the destination, there will be too many zones. There's a maximum of 64. By the way, as far as I know the "fog rate" is smoothly (though quickly) interpolated as a player enters a fog zone.