Tweaking Online Gaming and Misc ???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuperBlaster

Dec 12, 2000
Visit site
I currently have DSL and am looking to tweak UT for online gaming. Ive looked at various FAQs and they seem to have conflicting information and settings. Can anyone tell me what needs to be changed? My ping gets as low at 150 on a good server but is very unstable and usually hovers around 250-350.

If two people on the same LAN try to play online, do they just connect to the game as usual? do they need to use different ports?

There is a setting in the preferences menu i believe under game engine called cache size megs. any guidelines for what this should be set at?

whenever i multitask, say switch from UT to an open internet explorer box, i get an error message and UT closes. i thought maybe a file was corrupted or something so i just reinstalled and then it worked fine. after a couple of days i started to have problems again and now all of a sudden the problem isnt happening anymore so i cant give you the error message. any idea why this is happening?

how do i reset all key bindings and how do i set my weapon preference order. i use the shock rifle much more than the rocket launcher so i would rather set it up so i keep using the shock rifle when i pick up a rocket launcher.

say i bind the Q key for "best weapon." how is best weapon selected? does it have to be specifically set up for a particular weapon? what if i dont have that weapon? is there a way to set it up to just go to the next best weapon that i have from my weapon preference order?

when i install new maps sometimes it doesnt have a picture when im selecting which map to play on. is this normal and if not how is it fixed?

My setup is = voodoo 5 5500 agp, tyan trinity 400 mobo, p3 667eb, 128 meg pc133 ram, and a 30 gig HD 66/7200.

Thanks for the help!

Taker

UT Junkie
I currently have DSL and am looking to tweak UT for online gaming. Ive looked at various FAQs and they seem to have conflicting information and settings. Can anyone tell me what needs to be changed? My ping gets as low at 150 on a good server but is very unstable and usually hovers around 250-350

If two people on the same LAN try to play online, do they just connect to the game as usual? do they need to use different ports? .[/B]

Depends on your OS.I know that with WIN ME under Help it describes how to use to pc's networked together and both use a shared Interent Connection.The link below can provide you with more info about this.

There is a setting in the preferences menu i believe under game engine called cache size megs. any guidelines for what this should be set at? .[/B]

Since you have enough ram the cache does not matter.It's there if you have say 32 mb of ram or less.

Click on this link: http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/ut/index.shtml
You should be able to find the answers to the Questions above.
whenever i multitask, say switch from UT to an open internet explorer box, i get an error message and UT closes. i thought maybe a file was corrupted or something so i just reinstalled and then it worked fine. after a couple of days i started to have problems again and now all of a sudden the problem isnt happening anymore so i cant give you the error message. any idea why this is happening?
.[/B]

This may not apply to your situation,But there has been a virus going around for a few weeks that may be causing this problem.You can find a post about this on the second or third page in the forum thread below.The last post at the bottom of the page.

http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=30772&pagenumber=2

how do i reset all key bindings and how do i set my weapon preference order. i use the shock rifle much more than the rocket launcher so i would rather set it up so i keep using the shock rifle when i pick up a rocket launcher.

say i bind the Q key for "best weapon." how is best weapon selected? does it have to be specifically set up for a particular weapon? what if i dont have that weapon? is there a way to set it up to just go to the next best weapon that i have from my weapon preference order? .[/B]

As far as I know you should be able to do this in the "PREFERENCES" menu under options on the main screen.Another way is to start the game and when you get menu hit the ~ (tilde) key and type Preferences.Under one of the top 3 folders in the menu is RAW KEY BINDINGS you should be able to make your changes I believe.And if you don't have a weapon then you just don't have it.

when i install new maps sometimes it doesnt have a picture when im selecting which map to play on. is this normal and if not how is it fixed? .[/B]

Player made maps do not always have a screenshot of thier map,So yes it is normal.

Hope these answers help you.......

[Edited by Taker on January 1st, 2001 at 06:55 PM]