Modem Suggestion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jancaz Bru

the preposterous bollox of the situation
I'm in quite a dilemma right now. I need some suggestions for a good 56k pci modem for someone who is on a budget. I have gotten 2 new modems in the last 3 days and they both really sucked, so I need to get a good one, as I am returning the 2. Please help.

Ghostgeek][

Tomb Renter
Apr 30, 2000
Visit site
I use a 3Com Internet Gaming Modem (about $100),I ping between 145-200 on my favorite servers.
I think http://www.firingsquad.com did a comparison of my modem vs. a Diamond SupraMax 56k PCI. My modem was better but they said the Diamond pinged pretty good too.I installed one for a friend and he has pings close to mine.
The SupraMax 56k PCI goes for around $40 bucks just about anywhere,some places like CompUSA offer a 10 dollar rebate with it too.

Hope this helps.

WasHighPingDuck

Experienced
Nov 30, 2000
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hi all,
I think you will find in the end, that this has a lot more to do with the Internet Service Provider, your connection to them and their connection to the net.
Shop arround if you have options, they can make a big difference.

Fun later!

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
The modem I suggest, is the Diamond Supra Express Pro, external. It cost me £50, dunno what you would get it for in the US, $70-80?!?!

With a PCI winmodem, I got a 400 ping if I was lucky, with the external I get 120-150 with a good ISP, and my avg ping is 140-190 even on my bad flat rate ISP. Look at the huge difference in pings. Its worth spending a fair bit on a decent hardware modem, and all the best modems seem to be external.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
Supra Express serial externals rock. Go serial if possible to get the modem off your processor. It also has the Rockwell chipset, which rocks (for lack of a better term :)). Your connection/downloads will never exceed the data transfer speed of the serial port, so you'll be good to go. I've seen these modems online for ~$65 US. Check out http://www.pricewatch.com

The Diamond SupraExpress USB modems use a Luicent chipset which is better for voice but not-so-good for data. (Hope I got that right). Plus, the USB port requires processor cycles to support the modem, so you are not really getting the modem off your processor. So if you need every bit of processor power (like me), go for the serial.

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
AVOID Winmodems!!!

They are crap. If you have an ISA slot available you can try Zoom #2919 (external version is Model #2949). The ISA version is what I use. Never had a disconnect on that modem. I don't think there is a PCI version, but you could email or call them to verify this.

http://www.zoomtel.com/mkframeallprd.html

The ModemBlaster Flash 56II DI5601 (ISA version) is another one you can find in most computer stores. They have an external modem that is very simular to it (Model De5625)

If you go looking for a modem, make sure it states it will work with DOS or Win3.1. If you call any of these places, tell them you want a modem that will work with DOS or Linux.

The following link has a list of non-Winmodems at the bottom of the page. Most of them should be decent modems.

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

playahata24/7

Dec 30, 2000
Norcal
Visit site
I can testify to the poor quality of winmodems (anything win- should be a clue) as I have gotten better pings on other systems with the same jack to earthink who does not suck. Just dont install the browser it is horrible but their support rules with many gamers who will tip you to uncrowded DU#s if you mention your frag-addiction! How do I reset a USR 56kv90 re: PPP/proxy/compression/etc. ?? I am using an init script (s32=2) Thanks!