PDA

View Full Version : Video card question?

Plex
10th Dec 1999, 05:35 PM
I have a CL Ultra TNT2. I am of course having problems playing UT. I am not partial to any card, chipset, etc. I just want to play the game with as few problems as possible. Will I benefit in UT by getting a good VooDoo card and using it for UT? (Which would you suggest?) Can I have both cards installed at the same time with no problems in my system? Thanks for your time.

Voyd
10th Dec 1999, 05:58 PM
the undisputed best card for Ut is a Voodoo3. since the unreal/ut engine was first and foremost optimized for Glide, it delivers awesome performance. voodoo3's are cheap too. but sorry, you cant have both in your system at once. the only way youd be able to leave your tnt2 in and have Glide would be a Voodoo2...but those are so old that your tnt2 will still get better performance. voodoo3-2000's are selling for like 75$ or sumthin. if you intend to play alot of Ut i suggest u pick one up.

Tanqueray_boy
10th Dec 1999, 06:30 PM
I bought a V3 3000 card to replace my TNT2 card. It improved my fps from 35 to 44-46. My load times at the start of the game and when changing levels dropped to almost nothing. The game looks kind of ugly, though, even with the newest drivers.

You can get a V3 3000 at Amazon.com for $129, but I don't know if it is worth it or not, considering the monster cards which will be coming out in the next few months. Since you already have a TNT2 Ultra, it might not improve your performance much, either.

flipcyde
10th Dec 1999, 07:12 PM
Another suggestion to have "THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS" is to either get a motherboard with TWO AGP slots (I personally have never heard or seen one of these but my friend swears up and down that they exist).

OR since your TNT2 is AGP, you can purchase the VOODOO3 3000 PCI version. I hear the performance on these are just slightly lower than its AGP counter part.

OR you can try to get TWO VOODOO2's and connect them via SLI. I am pretty sure their prices are cheap right now, and performance is a shade lower than the VOODOO3 but VERY playable.

[This message has been edited by flipcyde (edited 12-10-1999).]

bmmagic
10th Dec 1999, 09:52 PM
I find all the previous posts absurd. A TNT2 ultra is WAY MORE than needed for awesome performance in UT. Use Direct3d and install the latest UT patch. Anyone that would suggest DOWNGRADING a system from a TNT2 ultra to a V3 is out of their minds. My best friend has a V3 3000 in his system and is about to upgrade to a Geforce base card, like I have. However, before I had the CL Annihilator, I had a Viper 770 TnT2 ultra.

The STB V3's are good cards but they are not as good as the Tnt2 ultras. Because Best Buy has a 30 day return rate for computer hardware, I personally tested out both the V3 2000 and 3000 and their overclocking potential. I tried both Creative Tnt2 cards (ultra and non-ultra) and the Diamond TnT2's. I also tested the Viper II (savage2000) card, though it needs some work on it's drivers, it outperformed the V3 3000. Personally, I suggest getting a Geforce based card and blowing the V3's and Tnt2 performance out of the ballpark!

Also, don't try to utilize your CL TNT2 Ultra AGP card in conjunction with a V3 3000 PCI card (as was suggested)!!!! Both are stand-alone cards (2d/3d). If you must have glide support, get a Voodoo2 based card, such as the MonsterII or the V1000. There is absolutely no reason for you to do this, but if you must have Glide, then so be it.

Direct3d is awesome in UT with a decent system. I had the highest score in every UT assult game I played today, not to mention winning 5 straight levels of Tribes, which was a game that was originally Glide only. Now everygame that I play runs perfectly with even an original TNT card. I did play the UT Demo with a Celeron 300a overclocked to 450, Abit BH6, and an ORIGINAL TNT card (Velocity 4400 STB AGP -w- 16 meg) and it ran quite well.

Oh, by the way, my gaming name is "Tashia (BBM)" in case anyone doubts my gaming claims. I'm hardly the best, but I do VERY well and my system runs smoooooth!

bmmagic
10th Dec 1999, 09:55 PM
Tanquary_boy,

Your video board has nothing to do with your "load times" in UT. You did not upgrade your system by replacing your TnT2 with a V3. The FPS are almost identical at every resolution at 16 bit and the V3 doesn't support 32 bit. Please get a clue.

bmmagic
10th Dec 1999, 10:03 PM
Plex,

You stated that you are having problems in UT because you have a CL TNT2 Ultra, but did not provide any information to substantiate why you came to this conclusion.

What video mode, resolution, and other graphic settings are you using. What video drivers are you using (Nvidia reference)? What motherboard, CPU, DIMM, Sound, etc. What type of internet connection do you have? Do other games, like Q2 or Tribes, run well online? What are your normal in-game pings?

I'm mainly interested in your internet connection, for this seems a much more likely culprit than your TNT2 Ultra video board!

Plex
10th Dec 1999, 10:54 PM
My system is a P3 500, ASUS P2B-S mb, IBM 7200 rpm hd, 256 MB memory, CL Ultra TNT2 using the latest Nvidia drivers, 56K modem connection. I'm playing UT at 800x600 with no 3D sound. It hangs about 1 minute after I start the game. Quake III Arena and Tribes run flawlessly. Any ideas? I really love the look of UT (what little I have seen)but the hang is driving me nuts. Please help. Thanks for your time.

bmmagic
10th Dec 1999, 11:47 PM
Plex,

My system takes about 25-30 secs to load the game once launched, however, it does not "chop" during gameplay. I'm not sure if you are complaining about initial loading time or about actual FPS (frames per second) during actual gameplay.

Your system should run great if you are on a decent server. You may wish to try several, though they still seem limited in number. I still mainly play Tribes, though I just played about an hour of Q2 Lithium (won every level!!!). Honestly, I've found that some servers suck. CHOP....CHOP....CHOP... and I know it is not me. Changing to another server corrects this. I've played a lot of assult and it runs perfectly smooth, though I'm on dual channel ISDN and not an analog modem. I did fair well when I was though. Back when Quake2 was THE GAME!!!

Plex
11th Dec 1999, 11:57 AM
I am not talking about load times or choppy game play, or FPS. I am talking about complete system lock-ups 2 minutes or less after I start the game. I don't even have time to go into options and change anything before it completely freezes up. I have started in safe mode with 3D video and audio disabled, same thing. I just loaded Quake 3 Arena last night. Runs perfectly right out of the box. Not one problem. What gives with UT?

sneb
12th Dec 1999, 07:51 AM
same problem here ...
UT freezes after 1 to 2 mins, no matter which drivers or UT versions I have installed - my system: PII 266, Elsa Erazor III video, 128MB RAM

Bugsy
12th Dec 1999, 01:12 PM
I had the same problem with Unreal a long time back using my voodoo cards. Turned out to be overheating of the cards do to slight overclocking I was using. Didn't happen in any other games, just Unreal. I guess it puts more stress on the card. You might want to add another fan to your case if heat is your problem. Most off-the-shelf systems don't have nearly enough cooling for serious gamers. Good Luck

Live long and have fun

Plex
13th Dec 1999, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the input, but my CL Ultra TNT2 is not overclocked and I have plenty of fans and keep the cover off the PC, so heat isn't the problem either. The game still locks up. Any other ideas?

Guinness
13th Dec 1999, 01:55 PM
If you read my previous posting you'll see the @%^load of problems that I had. Now it's all fixed. Even though you are using diff HW, this might help. Do a clean OS install, then any PCI IDE master upgrades, AGP port upgrades, then and only then install the detonator drivers. Make sure you uninstall (if installed) the old TNT2 drivers (2.09 or whatever you have). And then install the patch.
Now my system is rock solid, after switching to V3 3000, and changing/removing/installing/upgrading every single driver in my system. I am talking BIOS to Sound Card.
The sequence you use to install the drivers, as well as the proper removal of the old drivers MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Frag HAPPY /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Plex
13th Dec 1999, 06:54 PM
I had just reloaded my PC before I installed UT so no go there.

theCrow
20th Dec 1999, 08:10 AM
Is this possible????
U buy a game like UT and must reinstall your whole system??
Ohhh, man! Why must we all betatest the Software?
Isnt it so? Install and the game is running well. I hate this.
I have probs on myself with my TNT Ultra board with some games like HL or Quake. AND my UT hangs up after 1 or 2 hours in D3D.
Its crazy.
Or are we crazy to buy such products and use them?
I think i spend more time with my wife. There the OS is running well and the error massages arent so cryptical. ;-)))

Guysmily
21st Dec 1999, 10:48 AM
NOT SO CRYPTICAL!!!! I take it you haven't been married very long.