PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM can't read UT Disc 1???

kraftwerk
15th Dec 1999, 10:24 PM
Help! I just opened my UT and installed it (which went fine...), but when i tried to play, my CD ROM would just spin up, stop, spin up, stop, spin up... See a pattern? /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif After a few minutes of this I gave up and rebooted just to try again. Still nothing. I tried putting the disc in my burner, and it played JUST FINE. It took a few seconds for whatever cd check there was, but it worked.

Has anyone else had this problem? My CD ROM is a 12/24x panasonic IDE that's 2 years old. I haven't tried disc 2 yet, that's next after I get home from work. (And no, I'm not using a copy of the UT disc. It's 100% legal.)

blindrocket
15th Dec 1999, 11:15 PM
I really havent heard of that Problem before. I believe you, but when I first started to read your post, it sure sounded like a burn. BUT, since its not...I dunno. Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

sorry for not being too helpful.

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
"Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

blindrocket

kraftwerk
16th Dec 1999, 12:36 AM
Oddly enough, I just got an e-mail from my brother-in-law who has the same problem, but only occasionally. Just out of curiosity I tried to burn a copy, but Adaptec EZ CD said my CD-ROM couldn't determine the type of one or more tracks. I definitely think it's a problem with my ROM. Perhaps there's some sort of copy protection that my CD ROM is having difficulty with. Damn strange, whatever it is.

I guess I'm just going to have to do a full install and pop the CD in my CD-RW to play. It's a 2x/2x/6x, and I hate having to wait forever for the game to read. (After I put the game back in the box for a week and a half. I wasn't supposed to open it until Christmas. I'm a baaaaaaaaaaad boy!) /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Krafty

[This message has been edited by kraftwerk (edited 12-15-1999).]

IceStorm
16th Dec 1999, 12:55 AM
Unreal Tournament uses SafeDisc protection. According to the information that came with my copy of Half-Life: Opposing Force (another game that uses SafeDisc protection), certain CD-ROM and burners are NOT compatible with this form of protection - UT does not include this information on the box or inside the box.

SafeDisc protection is NOT foolproof. I have sucessfully backed up UT using some very specific, inexpensive hardware/software (Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD-ROM drive, Mitsumi CR-4802TE burner, and CloneCD), and it runs fine on all of my CD-ROM drives (protection intact).

Until developers learn that protection doesn't work, we'll have to live with this annoyance.

And yes, I own the game. Pre-ordered and got the t-shirt, too. :-)

kraftwerk
16th Dec 1999, 01:05 AM
Dammit! Obviously that is my problem. I don't have the Half-Life add-on, so I can't comfirm this, but it's got to be the problem. I'm in the midst of a search for any possible firmware upgrades to my CD ROM, but I doubt that will help. I guess I'm stuck playing it with my slow burner. Dammit dammit dammit! :<

Krafty

Dayv
16th Dec 1999, 06:31 AM
If you dont want to play from the CD. You might try downloading a crack that will allow you to play UT without using your CD. You can find it here at www.*************.com (http://www.*************.com) It seems to work ok for me but its not perfect. Swim at your own risk.