December'00 PC Gamer copy and a scanner

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ThunderSub1

Aug 18, 2000
Toronto, Canada
www.geocities.com
Liquid-If you're serious(unlike the other 2), and you DO have the december issue of PC Gamer & a scanner-can you scan me the the 'Elite Force' review pages and e-mail them to me? I would really like that. I just bought the game. I heard that PCG gave it 93%! I can't buy the issue, though, after shelling out $40(I'm 16, afterall).

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Wow, Cleaner. Thanks, I needed that! ;)

Elite Force does look pretty good. Could it be the first good Star Trek game? So, ThunderSub1, how about a little review of the game for us?

I just noticed that Alice was released yesterday. I'm anxious to hear how that one turned out.

ThunderSub1

Aug 18, 2000
Toronto, Canada
www.geocities.com
Can't, hal. I'm going to play it bit-by-bit. To savour the experience! You'll have to wait for my review for quite some time. But initial impressions are-awesome game! It's not just a good Star Trek game, it's a good game in the entire FPS aspect or any genre for that matter. Even the multi-player(Holomatch)looks great. This game will enter the domain of games like- Half-Life, System Shock II, UT...

As PC Gamer puts it- You should own it. Your friends should own it. Your mom should own it.

P.S.-You CAN view some gameplay videos of EF at gamespot.com
Also, get the demo at all costs(or non, since it's free!).

OK, my last post wasn't too objective...

I actually really liked the game. Excellent graphics, brillant animation (once I'd set the model detail up to high - it defaulted to low on my V5 and it looked pretty grim), well plotted, at a few points I kept forgetting I was playing a game and it did seem more like an actual episode.

It's just when I bought it on a Saturday and finished it on the Tuesday after about seven hours of casual play while having a few days off work I felt a bit...unfulfilled.

I think the best thing I can say is I wanted more. I can really recommend it on the higher difficulty settings (i.e. above normal) but the trouble is after finishing it you know what to expect, and that was half the fun.

But let's just say I loved the "middle" section when you infiltrate the other ships. A truly excellent bit of "retro" (you'll understand when you get there). :)

ThunderSub1

Aug 18, 2000
Toronto, Canada
www.geocities.com
That's the reason I'm playing it slowly(of course, the fact that I'm playing AOEII: TC as well also helps!). I'm still reading the manual(yep. You heard me. I read manuals), so I hav'nt experienced it yet, but people say that in some places, the decision you make, can change the way the game flows in small ways. I DID see it in the demo, though. Rememeber the part where you have to flick on the shield? When I played it, I switched it on with the guy inside the corrider. He got splattered. My brother waited till he got past and then switched on the shields. That guy then gave some useful info.

You can also play as Alexandria the second time y'know;-) The gender change supposedly changes a few things.

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Here's my review:

Cool looking maps... more coloured lighting and curved surfaces than normally considered healthy.

Bizarre, Thunderbirds-esque character animations.

Seriously unchallenging enemies.

Map-layout orientened "puzzle" type gameplay. Find the hidden door to get to the shaft that goes around the obstruction. If you find a particularly well-hidden door, you are rewarded with some more enemies to blast.

Virtually impossible to run out of health or ammo.

Dumbest CTF bots I have seen in a while. Some nice DM maps.

Overall - Fun... but not as good as UT :)

[Edited by JuiceEggsMcKenna on December 7th, 2000 at 08:12 PM]

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
More curved surfaces than normal? That's the ol Q3:A engine for ya, huh? ;)

What about the weapons?

You mentioned CTF, JEM. Is it pretty much the same stuff?