Server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jadestar

flu3nt!
Feb 22, 2000
West Linn, Oregon
www.spriteshack.com
I'm interested in getting a dedicated server.. for friends to play on, etc.. excuse my ignorance, as I have never worked in this area, but.. what all does it require? A seperate computer and internet connection just for the server, correct? It seems a bit much to buy a new computer and pay for another connection just to have a server around.. am I missing something? Lemme know. Thanks y'all.

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Yeah, unfortunately you are right, a dedicated server requires a dedicated computer, and a high-speed internet connection. You can't just use a modem, you need DSL or better (usually better).

Unless it's for LAN (Local Area Network) games, in which case you put all the PCs in the one building and connect them up with network cables. That still needs a dedicated computer, but not an Internet connection. Fun though :)

Also, if you do have a server machine hooked up to the net in your house and it shares the same 'Net connection as your other computer(s), playing on it from your PC will give you a seriously unfair ping advantage over people playing on it from the Internet. Like 10 vs 200 type thing ;)

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Bring it on matey...

Hmm, actually, errr, I think you are the king by default - see you've already got almost twice as many posts as me hehe :p Cut me some slack ;)