Netcode for LPBs and HPWs in UT/Q3A

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KarlKlammersOnkel

Nov 8, 2000
Visit site
HWPs

Netcode for HPWs in UT seems to be very smooth. The prediction seems to be better than playing without prediction with a ping of 250+.

Netcode in Q3A seems to suck for HPWs, because it is more direct and the PL is better visible.

LPBs

In UT the netcode seems to predict very often wrong. Result: You shoot through opponents or get hit by rockets which weren´t even near you.

Q3A´s netcode is like playing on a LAN for LPBs. Really no difference.

Conclusion:
UT´s netcode is better for modemers, Q3A is better for ppl with ISDN or better.

Solution to make UT enjoyable for LPBs as well: There could be an option to turn the prediction off.

I am interested in your findings. But please don´t tell me that UT´s netcode is billiant when you haven´t even tried Q3A online. (Before I played Q3A I thought UT´s netcode was good myself) ;)

So, easy task: LPBs who play both games, tell which and why you like the one or other netcode better.
Thnx! :)

Deathscythe311

Aug 19, 2000
Visit site
Q3A

q3a has better net code than ut for lpbs. It never almost times out like ut does in some situations. I also have a lower ping in q3a, and better frame rate.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I agree with you. I play UT with a 150 ping at times on my 56K, and its playable up to very high pings. But in Q3A, I lag, ping spike, also lag when I even just view the score board. I havent actually played either on broadband, but from what Ive seen Q3A netcode is a fair bit better for LPB's.

But when it comes down to it, which needs the most help, HPB's or LPB's?

Kinda sums up why I dont really ever play Q3A at all now.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
There, IMO would be compatability issues if a modem player w/ predic on was playing a cable (or better) player w/ it off.

I think its pretty much the same, from a 56k user. The gameplay online w/ Q3A is kinda like UT w/ 150% speed.